Do you plan on purchasing more Streaming TV services in 2015?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Just wondering if people here are cutting cords and abandoning cable/satellite TV and subscribing more to streaming services like Netflix, Hulu Plus, and the new Sling TV by Dish?

I already have Netflix, Hulu, and RedBox Instant. I plan on getting the Dish/Sling service the minute it's available too. No more cable or satellite TV for me.

Yes, I will be subscribing to the Dish Sling TV service as well.

As for other purchases, I'm finding that we are purchasing more content from Amazon Prime lately.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Sling TV might be interesting, but only during football season. I could care less about most other sports or "Sports Center", and I certainly don't need another source of "Big Bang Theory" reruns. ;) Sometime I may spring for a Netflix subscription, but for now I'm sticking with Amazon Prime as my only streaming subscription.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I'm sticking with Netflix only. Amazon Prime is out of my budget.

Sling TV sounds interesting, but I'm out for a number of reasons:
1. I'm not a sports fan, and have no use for ESPN.
2. It doesn't include broadcast TV channels, so I'd have to put up an antenna, and switch between antenna/roku constantly.
3. If I have an antenna (see item #2) I have all the channels I really need as long as I have PlayOn.
4. At $20, I'm sure that Cox could give me a basic package - bundled with the internet that I need anyway- that meets or beats that price.
5. I'm not at all happy with the deal Dish has made with Roku, making Dish the overlord of international programming on the Roku. So I don't want to give Dish any of my money!

There are so many free channels on Roku that I don't see much value in other pay services.

Last edited:

dkreichen1968

Staff member
The advantage that I see for Sling TV is that I could sign up for football season only ($100) and drop it for the rest of the year. The fact is that most TV packages are so confusing that you don't know what your paying for, or when the price is suddenly going to jump up. Twenty dollars, and cancel anytime, has a lot of drawing power. It's really designed to add sports to OTA and eliminate the broadcast retransmission fees.

MrPogi

Staff member
The advantage that I see for Sling TV is that I could sign up for football season only ($100) and drop it for the rest of the year. The fact is that most TV packages are so confusing that you don't know what your paying for, or when the price is suddenly going to jump up. Twenty dollars, and cancel anytime, has a lot of drawing power. It's really designed to add sports to OTA and eliminate the broadcast retransmission fees.
I see the value there, if you are strictly OTA. But as it stands, most cable companies pricing for basic cable+internet is about the same as for internet only.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
The whole pricing thing is bizarre. There is really no way that I can compare pricing between providers. I know what I'm getting from CenturyLink, and what I'm paying, but I have no way of knowing if Comcast is a better deal. Everything is an introductory offer that jumps to some unknown rate within 6 to 12 months. Last I knew, I'm getting a decent deal, but how do I know for sure?

MrPogi

Staff member
The only way to deal with these companies is to call. A useful question to ask when talking to sales reps:
"What will my total monthly cost be AFTER the promotional period ends?" Bear in mind, the price will increase anyway, and they won't tell you what taxes will be added.

Also, Century Link now offers Prism TV, making the whole thing even more complicated. But every bundle they want to give forces you to take their overpriced phone service. Why do I need your crappy phone service if I have internet and VOIP (Magic Jack, Ooma, etc)?

dkreichen1968

Staff member
What Prism TV does is removes the impetus for CenturyLink to undercut Comcast on internet service. And yes, they still want you to believe that phone service is still a marketable product. For me a land line is simply redundant. A phone is something I carry on my belt. For those with kids, that's another thing.

The only way to deal with these companies is to call. A useful question to ask when talking to sales reps:
"What will my total monthly cost be AFTER the promotional period ends?" Bear in mind, the price will increase anyway, and they won't tell you what taxes will be added.
I played that game for years with DirecTV. They were great at hiding taxes, fees, and extras and even better at highlighting the low pricing during the promotional period.

n2rj

Staff member
I only have Prime because we use it for Amazon free 2 day shipping. I have zero use for netflix right now as I'm not really interested in any of their original series, which is pretty much the only reason I'd have a subscription.

I found that since the kids got to school our TV viewing is a lot less.