Do you read about TV show development?

tmcmeekin

DTVUSA Member
Now, the general public hears far more about the behind-the-scenes aspect of TV like pilots, upfronts, casting news, and spoilers about future episodes, than ever before.

Do you pay attention to this kind of reporting? Or do you prefer to be surprised when you watch TV? And if you do read this news, how frustrated do you get (when shows don't get picked up, or changes are made even before the show hits the airwaves)?

Good bunch of questions. I love to read about every aspect of TV show development I can, but it's been my field of research as a journalist and scholar for years so that's probably not representative of most people. I'm also not as crazy as most people about spoilers. In TV so much of what happens onscreen depends on what's going on behind-the-scenes, and since series keep going you can pretty much figure out when cast are leaving or shows are winding down.

tmcmeekin

DTVUSA Member
Good bunch of questions. I love to read about every aspect of TV show development I can, but it's been my field of research as a journalist and scholar for years so that's probably not representative of most people. I'm also not as crazy as most people about spoilers. In TV so much of what happens onscreen depends on what's going on behind-the-scenes, and since series keep going you can pretty much figure out when cast are leaving or shows are winding down.
Yeah, I have also studied broadcasting (two degrees in journalism & mass comm) so I may not be the "typical" consumer in how much I pay attention to this stuff. Which is part of why I asked the question, haha!

I try to avoid specific big spoilers, but rarely succeed. Most of my viewing is on streaming or DVD, so I only keep up with the shows as they air if they're on Hulu (and I am not already too far behind for other reasons), and then pick up the rest via Netflix or Amazon.

Lestrade

DTVUSA Member
Normally, I try to avoid spoilers as much as possible. The only weak spot of mine is GoT. I have read through the books and still I find myself scanning through Facebook updates or headlines at the news, just to see who is about to head towards the light at the next episode. Season 5 is being filmed as we speak and yet I am tempted to find out more!