Do you reject watching certain TV stars because of their political views?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Your own political views aside, do you change the channel or refuse to watch a certain show because of polticals that a star or director has publically spoke about or announced?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I do to a certain degree depending on how far a star goes out of their way to make their opinion known. What bothers me is how a tv star, or anyone, can spout their political agenda, despite their lack of education or expertise in the field.

Piggie

Super Moderator
To the now accepted norm of the division of the United States into two camps, with those in the middle like me despised by both sides, no I could care less. Artists, musicians, actors have long long history (longer than the United States) of showing politics in the work, their opinions. This is part of being an artist, reflect the current trends, beliefs.

If that makes me a lefty, then why do I like the movies the "The Govanator" made?

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
The answer is of course yes. But it depends on the level of outspokeness combined with the level of extremist Leftwingism.

For example, if the director Spielberg lets say, goes on a nationwide tour promoting the gutting of the 2nd Amendment, and donates tens of millions of dollars to that endevour, then I will certainly not be going to see any Spielberg movies.

Lets take another example. The Dixie Chicks.

Linda Rhonstadt

Johnny Depp

Gwyneth Paltrow

Ill make exceptions, but I do boycott or partially boycott, or make attempts not to support certain people in the Entertainment industry.

Most of them are clueless 2 faced people that trash the US while the US provides them with a lavish lifestyle. Depp moved to France, but he didnt quit Hollywood. Paltrow is moving to Spain, and she isnt quitting Hollywood either.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Johnny Depp and Sean Penn are way down on the bottom of my list, but even I can still enjoy stuff put out by the most extreme liberal activists. Family Guy is one of my favorite shows even though I think Seth Macfarlane is a big douche.

EscapeVelocity

Oh yeah Sean Penn.

I will watch shows by Leftist leaning folks, and even the really outspoken whacko douche bags, but for the latter, the hurdle is higher.

Aries

DTVUSA Member
Unless they openly associate with nazi's or the KKK, I don't really mind what a celeb does in his or her personal life. I mean, I don't hate the fact that Johnny Depp has a fondness for cheap chocolate or that the late Steve Irwin was a tad too reckless for his own good. You can live your life how you like, just don't kill anyone.

EscapeVelocity

Aires, I dont mind people living their life how they want. Not one bit. What I object to is when this dopes use their fame and fortune to promote political agendas which have an affect on me and my life. See how that works.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Other favorites from the Hit Parade:

What I object to is when this dopes use their money and power to promote political agendas which have an affect on me and my life.

What I object to is when this dopes use their conspiracy theories and innuendo to promote political agendas which have an affect on me and my life.

What I object to is when this dopes use their churches and synagogues to promote political agendas which have an affect on me and my life.

What I object to is when this dopes use their threats and intimidation to promote political agendas which have an affect on me and my life.

Can anyone things of others that I missed?

EscapeVelocity

So they are free to use their fame and fortune and work to promote their political agendas, and I am free to boycott their work.

See how that works?