Do you still rent movies from stores or redbox or do you just stream?

Marisa

DTVUSA Member
I see RedBox EVERYWHERE but feel like I can find something online that I am already paying for. I suppose if there was a movie we really really wanted that wasnt online yet we would rent but haven't yet.
We still have one movie rental place in our small town as well, I went in with DD11 once while waiting on a pizza order and we couldnt find a single thing to rent. We also very rarely ever buy a movie now that the kids are older.

Do you have family movie nights and rent or do you stream or purchase?

I rent and purchase DVDs when I can partly out of a nostalgic feeling of loss for the video store culture of my youth and partly because I'm still a commodity fetishist and prefer my media in the form of physical objects (DVD box design is a lost art form as far as I'm concerned). I'm lucky enough to live in a neighborhood with 2 DVD/VHS rental stores (one art movie place and one popular place) so my media hoarder needs are taken care of, but they're disappearing fast from most areas. RedBox used to be attractive because of the low pricing for each DVD rental but when I passed one recently the charges had gone up significantly. On an aesthetic note, I prefer to know what the quality of the image and sound is going to be when I watch something, and streaming can be variable depending on the internet connection.

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
We normally just watching streaming tv, but we do rent from redbox, maybe 3/4 times a month. But that depends on what exactly we haven't seen and what is new that we want to see. Like for me I really want to see the second hunger games movie. So maybe this tuesday we can get it.lol

We use redbox because not all of the newer movies are on Hulu or Netflix when they are available at Rodbox. There are also some movies you cant find online that you can get at Redbox. Also, it is not that expensive to rent the movie for a day and return it- better than buying it full price, faster than waiting for it to go down in price, and easier than trying to watch it on the computer or download it to watch it someplace else. We love our Hulu and Netflix but we still get Redbox movies at least once a week.

Cadus

DTVUSA Member
As I think everyone is replying, I do a combination of both. For the most part I stream, unless I'm already out and figure it'd be cool to redbox something for the night. What else am I going to do with a dollar and change? Then if I really like or want to see a movie then I just buy it. I try to keep my personal collection of DVDs and Blu-rays as elite as possible.

Cadus, same here. I have quite the movie collection and I often end up buying the movies I stream and rent from RedBox I end up buying once they come down in price.

We use Redbox for new releases, Netflix/Hulu for pretty much everything else. If I love something, I buy it. I love box designs, especially for series. I'm all about the digital movement, but there's something about physically possessing something in this day and age that just means more. I'm the same way with my Kindle vs. "real" books. I read constantly, so I'm always downloading something, but if I read it and love it, I want it on my bookshelf.

When I was with my ex we would rent movies from Redbox all of the time. We broke up in 2011 and since then I have only rented from Redbox a few times. Usually I only see a movie once at the movies and then that is it for me. Now that I have another boyfriend if he wants to have a movie night at the house we may rent from Redbox but it hasn't happened yet. I believe he has a Netflix account so we may do that. Either way I still see how Redbox can be good for some people.

tmcmeekin

DTVUSA Member
I see RedBox EVERYWHERE but feel like I can find something online that I am already paying for.
Marisa, that's the way I often feel... there are enough things that I want to watch on the streaming services that I don't often make the extra effort to go out and rent from a store/library/Redbox. For the things that are only on DVD, I generally get them from Netflix, even if it means waiting longer.

Cadus

DTVUSA Member
Marisa, that's the way I often feel... there are enough things that I want to watch on the streaming services that I don't often make the extra effort to go out and rent from a store/library/Redbox. For the things that are only on DVD, I generally get them from Netflix, even if it means waiting longer.
See, I would normally feel like that, but something inside me urges me forward... if I really like a movie, then the people who made it deserve a little extra. And I've got it in physical form, like a little trophy! Maybe I'm just weird like that.

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
Well today is tuesday! So maybe I can talk hubby into getting the new hunger games movie to watch to night! LOL He most likely will, considering I don't really ever ask for anything, which ironically he can't stand. He is all about (if he has money he wants to spend it on me and the kids) He says its one of his way of showing he cares. But to me, you don't have to actually buy me something, just being around is enough.

Lily13

DTVUSA Member
Unfortunately I do it all through the internet. I still remember watching movies from VHS when I was a kid and then, begging my parents to rent a Tom and Jerry DVD when I grew up a little :) But all has changed now, I dint even recall a single rental place near where I live

ageematt20

DTVUSA Jr. Member
If its a new release movie that I really want to see I will rent it through redbox as they are everywhere around me. Otherwise if im looking for a movie I have never heard of that just looks interesting Netflix is great because if I hate it I can just turn it off and watch another. Actual dvd stores are nearly obsolete, and living in a small area there isnt one closer than an hour out that ive seen. I do miss those stores from my childhood as it was always so exciting going there and my dad letting me get movies. Plus I rented my first rated R movie from a blockbuster when I was younger so there will always be that sentimental value there.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Most of us no longer have any brick and mortar rental options but Redbox. I happen to have a Hastings store, and they have new movies to rent the day they become available - but I usually go there to buy used movies and games at a good price, it never crosses my mind to rent.

We have lots of movies to choose from at our house. Red box has seen a share of our profits and I would say they have some good movies. But I rather either watch movies that we have or go online and try to find movies to watch. Soon , I will probably get rid of my cable , so I won't have movies to watch on television. That way my only option would be Netflix or Hulu. The PlayStation 3 my man owns is Netflix compatible . My guess is that the future holds streaming television only. There will be no more cable or options of that choice because everyone will either own Netflix or Hulu. Who knows it might become a requirement if cable companies eventually decide to opted out. But it will probably be a very long time before cable companies go out of business. I will admit there are a lot of good shows I like to watch on cable. But honestly the same shows that I watch on television is also available on the internet for a lower price month as well. Instead of paying two hundred dollars and changed. I would just be paying eight dollars per month. Can't beat that deal.

if I really like a movie, then the people who made it deserve a little extra. And I've got it in physical form, like a little trophy! Maybe I'm just weird like that.
Then we're both weird! I can't get out of the mindset that I should be paying - in one form or another - for works of art and entertainment, because they are generally worth it but also to reward their creators and because that's the contact between producer and consumer! TV is the only exception for me, not because I think it's a lesser art form than cinema (more to the contrary) but because at root it's a free-use medium that should be available to everyone who has paid for a set. Physical form is still important to me, probably because I'm still a commodity fetishist but also because it's still the most pleasurable and comfortable way for me to get my media, but also because I'm in possession of a work of art, both inside and out.

Then we're both weird! I can't get out of the mindset that I should be paying - in one form or another - for works of art and entertainment, because they are generally worth it but also to reward their creators and because that's the contact between producer and consumer! TV is the only exception for me, not because I think it's a lesser art form than cinema (more to the contrary) but because at root it's a free-use medium that should be available to everyone who has paid for a set. Physical form is still important to me, probably because I'm still a commodity fetishist but also because it's still the most pleasurable and comfortable way for me to get my media, but also because I'm in possession of a work of art, both inside and out.

I absolutely agree! I was trying to put this into words for my husband a few weeks ago. He asked me "Why would you buy that? It's on Netflix."

We had Blockbusters here and a small private movie rental store- those died out years ago. So my family uses Redbox about once a week or so. We will rent from Redbox or watch someone on Hulu and Netflix. If we like it then we will go out and buy it.