Do you use Netflix?

Aries

DTVUSA Member
I've been thinking of looking into them, can anyone tell me if they're any good? I'd rather hear straight from someones mouth on a forum than some review someone might've been paid to write.

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
it's a good service.

You will need to invest in a DVD scratch remover, some of the discs are pretty rough. Newer titles, not so much, but the older titles, definitely.

There is a 3-5 day wait between discs - 1-2 days mail to local processing center, 1 day to return movie/pick out next movie, 1-2 days to mail to you. At one time, one disc was lost in the mail on transit to me, I contacted them, and they sent a replacement.

There are DVDs in Netflix that are rental-only. One series is ThunderCats - it was never released as a DVD library for sale, rental only on DVD, and sold only in VHS. It was one of the reasons for me to get that service, but since I don't watch DVD movies more than 10 times a month, I've decided to stick with an easier alternative.

"The New Release" DVD rental kiosks at Ralph's/Food-For-Less, and redbox rental kiosks. Since the rentals are a dollar a day, these are a great bet if you watch less than 10 movies a month. Rent from a kiosk, return at another kiosk in a different location - good for renting movies to watch on road trips. Plus, you never have to wait to rent another movie. When you return a movie at a kiosk, billing stops for that movie, and you're ready to rent another one.

If you watch more than 10 movies a month, and can patiently wait for the mail service to ship you the movies, then, go with Netflix. Netflix also has an added benefit service - they have an online watching service, but the rental limit you choose applies. That means if you have one DVD checked out in their 1-out plan, you can't stream a movie until you return the DVD. Still, no need to spend your Xbox or PS3 points to stream a movie to watch.

As I've run out of classics to watch, I've since discontinued the Netflix service, and am using Redbox.

Last edited:

bicker

DTVUSA Member
We subscribe typically during the summer (late May through August) and perhaps for a month centered over the December holidays. It essentially fills-in the gap in what the networks provide.

We especially use Netflix as a replacement for HBO and Showtime, which would be more expensive to subscribe to 12 months a year (as compared to Netflix 4 months a year). So most of our Netflix usage are recent HBO and Showtime series. Most other sources for renting DVDs, such as Redbox and brick-and-mortar storefronts, do a pretty poor job stocking television series DVDs. Even Blockbuster Online tends to run several weeks behind Netflix in that regard, and in some cases never get a television series DVD set in stock.

My experience with turn-around times is as follows: Watch DVD on Monday, mail back Tuesday morning, logged by Netflix as returned on Wednesday morning, receive next DVD on Thursday. Of course, the weekend adds some latency, and holiday weekends even more. So, for example, next week we'll watch a DVD on Wednesday, I'll mail it back on Thursday, but because Friday is a holiday, Netflix won't receive it until Monday, and I won't receive another DVD until Tuesday.

With the three-at-a-time plan, we end up having a disc to watch about four nights per week. We found that with the four-at-a-time plan, we ended up having discs sitting around waiting for us too often.

O-O

DTVUSA Member
Just make sure if you decide to use a online movie rental service, that it works out to your advantage. I used Blockbuster for a year, and I was lucky if I watched 2 movies a month. I think the cost worked out to just a little more than going to a store and renting. One thing I definitely like with Blockbuster over Netflix is that you can return the mail rentals to the store and exchange for another movie.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
The deal at Blockbuster has changed. First, only "Blockbuster Total Access" service and "Blockbuster Total Access Premium" service offer in-store exchanges. Also, for "Blockbuster Total Access" there is now a limit on in-store exchanges. For example, the $20 per month 3-at-a-time plan allows 5 in-store exchanges per month, max. To have no limit on in-store exchanges bumps the price up to $35 per month.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
The deal at Blockbuster has changed. First, only "Blockbuster Total Access" service and "Blockbuster Total Access Premium" service offer in-store exchanges. Also, for "Blockbuster Total Access" there is now a limit on in-store exchanges. For example, the $20 per month 3-at-a-time plan allows 5 in-store exchanges per month, max. To have no limit on in-store exchanges bumps the price up to $35 per month.
This is more of a rhetorical question (but if you know the answer; by all means...) but do those 5 in-store exchanges start at the beginning of each month or from the beginning day of the customer's original sign up, ie. 5th of the month, or 10th of the month. Would seem to be kind of a pain to keep track of.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
I don't know how Blockbuster does it, specifically, but everything at Netflix works from the customers sign-up (or re-activation) date. I cannot imagine any company, in this day and age, doing it any other way. There is no need to, and doing things like that tends to cause problems since it focuses heavy usage to the same couple of days of the month, instead of spreading it evenly over the whole month.

Keeping track is easy (and I do know that part of the process, since I was with Blockbuster Total Access for a month last year, before the limits went into effect). You walk up hand in the DVD that was mailed to you along with the DVD you want to check out. They scan the returned DVD in, and then check your account to see if you have exchange privileges. If "Yes" then they just scan the new DVD out. Otherwise, they ask for payment.

So, projecting to today, there shouldn't be any problem showing "Yes" if the members still has exchanges left, and "No" if the member doesn't.

Last edited:

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I've only done the trials for both Blockbuster and Netflix. I had more problems with Blockbuster dvds in terms of not playing than I did with Netflix. Depending on the plan, Netflix has more limitations in terms of how many dvds you can rent at a time. They guard that closer than BB. Both were quick and reliable, but like I said, the quality of the dvd was better with Netflix.

Aries

DTVUSA Member
Thanks for the posts. I'll have a bash at Netflix, what I like the most is the lack of late fees. That's why I gave up Blockbuster, why should a 2-day rental be returned the next day?

SuzanaD

DTVUSA Member
I like Netflix alot. They have a good selection of movies and they have good prices. I hate returning my movies on time, so I prefer to use them. They are great.