Do you watch video via public libraries?

tmcmeekin

DTVUSA Member
Many public libraries now have e-book collections, but did you know that some also have online streaming video collections as well? (Of course, some also still rent VHS/DVD/Blu-Ray too.)

Overdrive, Hoopla, Alexander Street Press, Freegal (music videos) and IndieFlix (which you can also subscribe directly to for $5/month) are just a few of the services I can access completely free through my public libraries.

Which services your local libraries subscribe to (as well as the selection of videos available from each) may differ, but most library websites have an "electronic resources" page that has links to all the e-book/e-audio/e-video they provide. You can also usually search on the service's website to see which libraries participate. If your local library doesn't have the services you want, but another does, some libraries will allow non-residents to get a card for a small annual fee, or even for free. (Since my home library participates in "Access Pennsylvania," I can get a card from any participating library in the state for free).

Have you watched video from your public libraries? Which services does your library provide?

Links to the services I mention:

https://www.overdrive.com/
https://www.hoopladigital.com/home
Alexander Street Press
Freegal Music : Your New Music Library : Home
https://indieflix.com/

Last edited:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Living in Utah, the library system is fragmented. I can only use the one small library for the area where I live. I can't use any other, there isn't even an inter-library loan program. All the e-books are on a long wait list, and no streaming video. It's a 10 minute drive and the selection of video is slim and even that selection is "censored", lest it offend the local religious cult's members. However, there are plenty of religious propaganda videos about the wonderful LDS church.

I actually can't wait to return to Las Vegas and get a Library card for the awesome Clark County Library system.

tmcmeekin

DTVUSA Member
Living in Utah, the library system is fragmented. I can only use the one small library for the area where I live. I can't use any other, there isn't even an inter-library loan program. All the e-books are on a long wait list, and no streaming video. It's a 10 minute drive and the selection of video is slim and even that selection is "censored", lest it offend the local religious cult's members. However, there are plenty of religious propaganda videos about the wonderful LDS church.

I actually can't wait to return to Las Vegas and get a Library card for the awesome Clark County Library system.
Wow, I would not want to live in Utah, because I would not know what to do without access to good libraries.

Some libraries will allow out-of-area residents to get a card online, without visiting the library in person, so you may want to check into that. There's a list at the link below. Although it's not free, I personally think it's well worth supporting public libraries and getting access to a ton of material for the same cost as buying half a dozen books or movies.

Library eBooks for Non-Residents: Where to Get eBooks if Your Library is Lacking | The eBook Reader Blog