Does anyone burn their own movie DVDs?

James

DTVUSA Member
Waay back, when I was wasted more time...I used to burn movie DVDs. What a waste of time. Sometimes they would just freeze up in my players. Wasted a LOT of time and money on such foolishness.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Do you mean home video or what? I burn DVD video of home movies to send my parents of the kids... but I use an older Samsung VCR / DVD recorder combo with a firewire port. I have done it with software on the computer, but I gave that up, it's just too quick and easy to burn with the Samsung from my camcorder.

BTW, the Samsung was given to me!

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
I use to order certain dvds from Netflix just to record them on dvd. I'd prefer to have the original copies but most were waaaay over priced on Amazon since they were out of print. The bulk of them were 1970's Saturday morning live action kids shows like The Ghost Busters (featuring Larry Storch & Forrest Tucker), Space Academy (Jonathan Harris), Monster Squad (with that Gopher guy from the Love Boat tv series), etc.

Far as I know they'll still play but the longevity of recordable dvds is suspect and I have had my share of recorded disc failing to play over the years.

bunny22

DTVUSA Member
I've had to burn a few over the years (for things like school / work projects - not for pirated movies). But even burning CDs was always such a hassle. By the time the tech became commonplace enough that I might have used it more often, there were better alternatives like streaming becoming available.

James

DTVUSA Member
I know a guy who would copy and burn DVD movies. Not any more. For me, I don't want to own a lot of discs. I just don't want a library. IF there were no way to rent...then maybe I would buy.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Far as I know they'll still play but the longevity of recordable dvds is suspect and I have had my share of recorded disc failing to play over the years.
One thing to note is that you can't leave recorded discs out in the sun.

I've been using a video capture device to digitize my VHS tapes and storing them to my hard drive as MP4's. I've also used the MP2 versions to burn DVDs of stuff like "Jake Speed." I may even see what interesting stuff I can find on VHS just for fun.

Lestrade

DTVUSA Member
I do not have any friend or acquaintance burning their own movie DVDs. Strangely enough, some years ago this was the rule. Now, people who engage in such activities are the exception. This is funny.