Question: Does anyone know about the 91xg

I have posted on here before. Im just very interrested in antenna and have fun talking about them. My question today is the 91xg antenna sold on antenna direct a better antenna than a yagi corner recflector which both look bout the same but the 91 xg looks a little biger and uses forks elements as the dicerteries instead small elements across the boom, and it uses a screen as a reflector instead of rods. Looks like the 91xg would be better for uhf does any know

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
The 91XG -- aka "XG-91" -- is certainly one of the finest UHF antennas out there. It's most often mentioned as the best choice for someone in the deep fringe who needs a peerless, high-gain antenna. The 91XG also gets high marks for rugged, durable construction. Antennas Direct is known for being highly responsive to customer requests, and frequently provides free replacements for broken parts. Like all corner-reflector Yagis, though, its best strength is in the top half of the band. Deep-fringe viewers whose UHF stations are mostly below channel 35 would be better off with a Winegard HD-8800 instead since its gain exceeds that of the 91XG on those frequencies.

Well theres only one station in my area that I have trouble with under channel 35 that is channel 16.1 which I can get most of the time. The station I want is channel 41 real channel 40. I have an antenna similar to the channel 3020 and it does ok. But doesnt give me the singal I need on channel 41 which is the one I really want. Will the 8 bay antennas give me a better recption on the upper uhf or have I got just about as good as it get in term of uhf without spending an ungodly amount of money on trying to get my antenna 100ft in the air or more. I am currenly at 20ft with my antenna if you need my tv fool I will get it for you. I just would really like to know what is the best uhf antenna on the market in terms of gain right now. Thanks alot curt_dawg

The 91XG is a corner Yagi reflector.

A virtual channel number of 16.1 doesn't mean that the station actually operates on UHF-16. It might or might not.

Screens vs. rod for reflectors doesn't make any real difference - they both do well.

Keep in mind that the 91XH is extremely directional and must be aimed accurately. If all your stations do not transmit from the same place, you will need a rotor to accurately point the antenna.

It would be very beneficial to actually see your TVfool plot of you want comments related to your particular location.

Heres my tvfool

Heres my tv fool TV Fool I hope this helps. As I said my current tv antenna is a basic yagi corner my antenna is similar to the channel master 3020. Im trying to get a step up form that if they is. My vhf stations work great but uhf does not. Maybe im in a bad location I dont know. THanks for your help.

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
You're in the deep fringe at nearly 60 miles, and you're trying to get signals from over two ridges (those "2-edge" notations), so yeah, that's a pretty tough reception location. If your current antenna works well on channel 7, you can add an 91XG to it in two ways: Buy a UVSJ and combine the antennas ahead of the pre-amplifier you're using now; or get a Channel Master 7777 pre-amp, which has inputs for VHF and UHF antennas. If you don't have an amp, I'd recommend getting the 7777.

You may mount the 91XG on the same mast with your antenna, but make sure to separate them by at least 3 feet so that they don't interfere with one another. The following is far easier said than done, of course, but if you have time, you may wish to tilt the front of the 91XG upward a few degrees for even better reception. That may help quite a bit in your location, too.

Last edited:
I got a 91xg in the mail today and just put it
together. So far, there are three things that I
like. 1) It arrived undamaged. It is in a small
box, about 34 by 15 by 2 inches. 2) It has very
good mounting hardware that can be tilted. 3) It
is 93 inches long but can easily be converted to
a 62 inch length if you don't need all that gain.
I will install it today but have not yet decided
between 62 and 93.

3) It
is 93 inches long but can easily be converted to
a 62 inch length if you don't need all that gain.
I will install it today but have not yet decided
between 62 and 93.
Go ahead & try the 93 inches. The main drawback is that the antenna will be a bit more directional. Unless you are 2 miles or less from the closest station(s), you can't have too much antenna gain.