Does brand matter?

WaffleStomp

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I've been wondering this for a while. The HDTV's I have are all just Insignia. I bought the one in my bedroom for two-hundred and fifty dollars, and I paid 1k for the one I have in my den. It seems the sony/samsung/etc. are so much more expensive. Is there really a difference in quality?

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
It really depends because a low end Sony will look pretty bad compared to a high end Samsung or even a Vizio and vice versa. I base my purchases off of reliability, closely followed by features/specs. May not be the best thing to do, but I'm more interested in having my AV equipment last for atleast 10 years before replacing.

To be safe, I would say brand does matter. However, these days where every company is doing there best to cut down cost, a lot of parts in any device can go wrong so I would suggest keeping after sales support in mind as well in making your next purchase. You don't want to end up in a huge mess of spending for freight back and forth wherever the service center of your HDTV is.

WaffleStomp

DTVUSA Jr. Member
To be safe, I would say brand does matter. However, these days where every company is doing there best to cut down cost, a lot of parts in any device can go wrong so I would suggest keeping after sales support in mind as well in making your next purchase. You don't want to end up in a huge mess of spending for freight back and forth wherever the service center of your HDTV is.
Thanks for the tips!
I ended up with an Insignia, the picture is pretty nice compared to regular TV, and I like it alot.

andrew25

DTVUSA Member
When the price differences is significant then it means quality really matters in that case. I had seen low end brands having no comparison with higher costly ones such as Samsung and brands does matters when it comes to quality of the sets.