Does my TV meet the specs for DTV or do I need a converter box?

tentaro

DTVUSA Rookie
Why is this so confusing? Most of it is pretty simple but trying to find out what the cable company is planning is really difficult.

Well on to the question: I have a Sharp Aquos 20" LCD (model # LC-20B8U) it supports 720p/1080i through component cables. We have one HD Set top box/DVR from Comcast on the TV in the living room but not on any other tv in the house.

My question is since I am using the basic cable service for this tv will I need a box and where can I find a tuner or receiver and not a converter (I mean if I can see high def then why would I want to convert it back to 480).

Oh and cable service is Comcast of Plainville, Connecticut if it makes any difference. Any body know anything about this? Thanks in advance.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Tentaro,
After checking out the specs on your Sharp Aquos, it looks like it comes with (1) NTSC standard-definition over-the-air tuner, no digital tuner, and capability to view HD as you've mentioned above.

You also mentioned that you were curretly viewing HD (High Definition) on this TV with basic service? According to a Comcast rep I spoke to about a week ago, the only way you can get digital/HD is if you have a set top box specifically provided by Comcast. The rep might be mistaken, but I haven't heard of any cable TV service offering digital broadcasting without the use of a converter box or a TV manufactured with a digital tuner.

For anyone else reading this thread that may not know, HD (High Definition TV) is another form of digital television or DTV, but they are not the same.

When you get a chance, I just want to verify that the TV set you're talking about only receives basic television?

tentaro

DTVUSA Rookie
Sorry, I mistated my question....

What I meant was if it was possible, I would like to watch TV in HD, not that I can watch HD now.

I just would rather watch something in 720p/1080i if possible instead of the same old 480i but if that means I need a cable box then I will just give up.

Thank you.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Since you're asking specifically about basic cable, your "HD Ready" TV will not be able High Definition programming. Cable companies transmit proprietary signals to you, in which you have to use their converter boxes to view their HD (High Definition) digital cable channels.

Your TV would definitely receive High Definition programming with a converter box from the cable company along with channels that only broadcast in DTV, but again you'd have their converter box.

If you just want DTV, the cable company cannot force you to get a converter box. By law, they have to broadcast analog signals until 2012. You may want to just to confirm. I've had the worst luck talking with techs from cable companies, each tech will tell you something different for the same company.

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions