Does RF exposure cause Cancer?

The topic of RF exposure was brought up on a recent post.

I feel that anti-RF rhetoric is not based on fact, but I'm willing to learn if I'm wrong.

The Russian's microwaved our embassy in Moscow because they developed doppler radar that was able to pick up the vibrations of the window glass. They could listen in on our secret conversations. In order to separate the conversations, it took a separate radar for each office. They were not trying to harm our ambassadors, even though the RF fields would have been unusually high.

High RF fields cause heating of the human body. What does that do? It causes you to sweat. How else does heat harm the body? I can think of one way, gonads require reduced temperature to produce sperm. I agree with the claim of reduced sperm count. Yet, testing has indicated that the presence of Chlorine in our drinking water is a likely cause of the historic drop in sperm counts. Chlorine is intended to kill single cell organisms. Sperm is a single cell organism. This conclusion is borne out by the fact that average sperm counts in New York City have not dropped. New York City does not treat their drinking water with Chlorine.

If anyone remembers their quantum physics you'll know that the amount of energy in an RF field is insufficient to cause an electron to change valences. The claim of DNA changes due to RF is not supported by facts. The recent rise in brain tumors is far more likely to be caused by artificial sweeteners and their byproducts.

Prior to the existing OSHA and ANSI C95.1 standards, tower workers often climbed antennas while they were energized. Climbers report that when exposed to high RF fields they can taste it. I've never tasted RF, but I know that a 9 volt battery tastes funny if you lick it. I have never met or heard of an old tower climber that suffered from leukemia.

I agree that lead is a poison. The studies that show that telephone workers and hams have more leukemia than the general population may be a statistical anomaly, or it may be due to lead based solder and lead cable exposure. To prove that theory, perhaps it's time to do a study on retired plumbers.

If you catch my drift, we are constantly exposed to known chemical dangers that can cause the same problems sometimes attributed to RF.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
For the record my best boss ever, worked at (became Chief Engineer of) several AM and FM radio stations, beginning his career shortly after the end of WW2 until his retirement around 1988. About ten years ago he died after a lengthy battle with lukemia. Damn.

Jim

Last edited:

BCF68

DTVUSA Member
For the record, my best boss ever worked at (became Chief Engineer of) several AM and FM radio stations, beginning his career shortly after the end of WW2 until his retirement around 1988. About ten years ago he died after a lengthy battle with lukemia. Damn.

Jim
That doesn't mean he got his lukemia from his work. If he started his career after WWII and died 10 years ago I would suspect he was no younger than his late 70s which wouldn't be out of the ordinary for someone born when he was. If AM ad FM radio waves caused cancer then everyone would be dead.

Fringe Reception

Staff member
BCF68,

I understand there is no conclusive evidence connecting low-strength electromagnetic or RF fields and human cell damage. We are all parked in a 60 Hz field every time we are inside a building. Go to bed with an electric blanket and that's a much stronger field. RF sources are everywhere, in fact my Natural Gas Meter has a transmitter that replaced the monthly visit by a meter-reader. I wonder what frequency it uses ... (hack!). :D

On the other hand, high-strength fields are different: when I was a teen, I toured US Warships at the (long gone now) District 13 US Naval Base in Seattle and two ships had "home-made" plywood box "covers" over the radar consoles. I asked about them and I was told when in Port they had to make certain their units were not activated because when moored bow to fantail, they could BBQ the crews on adjacent ships.

Many years ago when I worked for my above mentioned boss in AM radio, my primary job was to collect field strength readings for quarterly and annual antenna proofs for the station to submit to the FCC. There were dozens of 'monitor points' that needed to be checked for both omnidirectional day time and directional night time antenna/s. It was done with a very special calibrated portable radio and most of the time the signal strengths were received in microvolts or millivolts ... but ... one monitor point was a school playground and there was just over ONE VOLT of RF energy present there - at a range of about 5-6 miles from the transmitter! Perhaps the perimeter chain link fence was resonant at that particular frequency. Anyway, in the interest of the station we never told anyone. So, I guess hot-spots happen ... are they 'healthy' to be in? Good question.

Jim

FOX TV

Contributor
We have not been "Broadcasting" microwaves to the general public long enough to know the effects of long term low level microwave exposure.

We do have proof that high voltage transmission line workers have a much greater instance of "Leukemia" than the general public, and that is a just 60 hz. radiation we are talking about, and it is not an intentionally radiated electromagnetic signal.

I worked in the electrical distribution and transmission industry as a 2 way radio tech also, and these are facts that were presented in OSHA safety and training videos that I had to watch. Now I am sure someone will challenge that statement too as not based in fact, but they will be wrong when they do, and I have access to the proof, as I still have access to the training video !

Studies have shown that D.E.C.T. phones and baby monitors that use GHz. microwave frequencies disrupt the normal brain activity in infants who are near them on a regular basis, and in addition, the type of modulation used creates different results, even at the same power levels and frequency. Pulsed modulation seems to be the most destructive type of modulation as opposed to a constant Rf energy field.

How do you test for long term exposure? Do you want to volunteer for that job? If you love all of this wireless RF energy in the microwave region, and are 100% sure it is safe, then why not volunteer yourself to be a guinea pig for the industry? ( as most all Cell Phone users unknowingly are) I am sure it would pay well, but that would only matter if you lived long enough to spend it.

No practical human research has been done on the current generation of cell phones by the Cell Phone industry for obvious reasons, as they don't want a panic that they are not safe, and they sure don't want to kill their gold mine and cash cow.

There are several documented cases of the old analog cell phones causing brain tumors in several users around the country, and they were only at 3 watts in the 800 MHz. band. One of these cases is documented on the Cell phone safety section of the FCC website. Why do they include safety warnings with a new Cell Phone? (In fine print of course)

Ok Mr. tower guy, Have you tried this trick on poor in the past? Take a small signal or PIN diode and place it between the leads of an accurate volt meter and it is not uncommon to be able to measure 8 to 10 volts of AC power just from the Rf field that exists in the atmosphere there.

Why do you think OSHA came up with radiation exposure standards and levels in the first place in the 1990's? It is because they now know that most all levels of ionizing radiation are lethal or damaging, but they are still unsure about safe non ionizing levels, as there is no safe way to test the theory unless you use lab animals, and those results may not tell the complete story when applied to humans, or groups of animals that are already prone to certain types of cancer.

In case you need a source for information, try looking on the rfsafetysolutions.com RF safety site, as that is where I read it, and that is the brand of radiation monitors that we use.

Why do some tower climbers have to wear chain mail radiation suits when they climb in certain areas such as Mt. Wilson in Caulifornia ? ( As Arnold pronounces it). It is not for protection from the antenna or tower they are climbing, since it is at reduced power or completely off the air, but more so for protection from surrounding antennas than the ones they are working on.

Basic Biological Concepts

SAR follows basic antenna theory—the better an antenna you are, the more RF energy you absorb when exposed to a particular field strength.
Researchers consider the “standard man” to be 1.75 meters tall, about 5 foot 9 inches. That makes him resonant at about 86 MHz. So the average adult makes a perfect antenna for Channel 6 television!

Note about bold text, this also applies to the FM broadcast band, not just TV channel 6. In addition, FM is either dual polarity, or circular, or elliptical and the first field of energy from a vertical antenna is directly to the ground around the antenna structure.

The most heat the human body can deal handle without risking permanent damage is approximately 4 W/kg. ( # power-to-weight ratio power per unit of mass )
A shock or an RF burn—electrostimulation—occurs when you come into contact with either an RF radiator or a re-radiator. RF radiators are usually some type of antenna.
Perhaps the most vulnerable organs are the eyes. The eyes have virtually no blood flow that can provide cooling from other parts of the body, and their dimensions make them very good antennas at microwave frequencies.

How close are your eyes to a microwave emitting cell phone when it is parked against your cheek and gum, and how long will it be before you need stronger glasses? Because it only take a little pinch for maximum enjoyment...LOL.

Here is a link to information on RF safety studies performed by the
world health organization. It is rather lengthy, and in some cases, presents conflicting results that can be confusing at times.

http://www.icnirp.de./documents/RFReview.pdf

You may also find this link very interesting, unless you really think that cell phones are safe, then you will call it "False Facts or False Science" if you are already convinced that they are safe.

And to think that the powers that be want to convert everything to this type of infrastructure. Follow the money !!. The only blessing here is that they themselves also use Cell Phones. Could this be a case of poetic justice ?????

" Prior to 1996, the wireless age was not coming online fast enough, primarily because communities had the authority to block the siting of cell towers. But the Federal Communications Act of 1996 made it nearly impossible for communities to stop construction of cell towers "even if they pose threats to public health and the environment. Since the decision to enter the age of wireless convenience was politically determined for us, ( FOLLOW THE MONEY ) we have forgotten well-documented safety and environmental concerns and, with a devil-may-care zeal that is lethally short-sighted, we have incorporated into our lives every wireless toy that comes on the market. We behave as if we are addicted to radiation. Our addiction to cell phones has led to harder "drugs" like wireless Internet. And now we are bathing in the radiation that our wireless enthusiasm has unleashed. Those who are addicted, uninformed, corporately biased and politically-influenced may dismiss our scientifically-sound concerns about the apocalyptic hazards of wireless radiation. But we must not. Instead, we must sound the alarm."

By Amy Worthington
Idaho Observer

If you would like to know just how close the nearest radio tower or antenna or Cell site is to you, try this link...http://www.antennasearch.com/

More interesting links...

http://www.bioprotechnology.com/Research_Cellphone_Radiation.aspx
http://www.ewg.org/cellphone-radiation
http://www.ewg.org/cellphoneradiation/newecellphonesin2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC-FrpA9-zs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2q9xjNC-o4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2q9xjNC-o4&feature=related

Last edited:
We do have proof that high voltage transmission line workers have a much greater instance of "Leukemia" than the general public, and that is a just 60 hz. radiation we are talking about, and it is not an intentionally radiated electromagnetic signal.
Since you left the power industry the studies that indicated harm have been proven wrong. The most infamous was a study in Denver CO.

The study assumed that bedrooms close to three phase power lines had high fields. The original study did not actually measure the field levels. Since then the field levels have been measured. They were lower than average.

Piggie

Super Moderator
I am going 100% with FOX on this one, as the examples he states though I can't quote reference I have seen over and over and over.

One thing that has not been talked about yet but FOX brings it up, what about people that spend hours a day on cordless phones?

I feel so strong about the evidence I have seen presented it's just a matter of time before the truth comes out about even low level RF exposure. After all 40 years ago, cigarettes were safe.

M4ny

DTVUSA Member
It appears the goverment is concerned about RF exposure we have fairly high power RF generators for RF sealing operations and have to check regularly for RF levels at the machine operator area. I don't know if it's for cancer or otherwise but it appears to be thought of as harmful.

Didn't I see a piece on 60 minutes about a guy that was trying to cure cancer with RF by injecting the cells and then cooking them with the RF?

BCF68

DTVUSA Member
I am going 100% with FOX on this one, as the examples he states though I can't quote reference I have seen over and over and over.

One thing that has not been talked about yet but FOX brings it up, what about people that spend hours a day on cordless phones?

I feel so strong about the evidence I have seen presented it's just a matter of time before the truth comes out about even low level RF exposure. After all 40 years ago, cigarettes were safe.
No 40, 50 years ago they KNEW cigarettes caused cancer. The tobacco industry kept that secret and spent billions calling any evidence to the contrary "junk science".

yes yes all this causes cancer yet every one of us uses their cell phones, cordless phones, has wi-fi in their house etc etc. If one actually believed that one wouldn't have any of that stuff in their house and made sure their house was painted with RF absorbing paint and taking other measures to make sure no RF got in. I know I would. You'd have to be crazy to think something causes cancer then let that very thing in your house and around your family.

FOX TV

Contributor
Since you left the power industry the studies that indicated harm have been proven wrong. The most infamous was a study in Denver CO.

The study assumed that bedrooms close to three phase power lines had high fields. The original study did not actually measure the field levels. Since then the field levels have been measured. They were lower than average.

Why does everyone just have to dispute everything I say with a counter claim that is uses unsubstantiated, and off topic information? Do I have to post the training video on you tube to prove it? That would be hard since I don't have a You tube account, and likely never will. Your comments do not address the lineman leukemia issue at all. Where did I mention field strength in bedrooms and three phase power proximity in my statements?

In addition, I am mostly referring to GHz radiation such as Cell Phones, Internet Hot Spots in public places, D.E.C.T. phones, laptops, wireless routers, Cell Sites on tops of buildings such as retirement homes and in church steeples, an on and on and on, and wireless this and wireless that, The microwave radiation is inescapable in todays world unless you live in the sticks.

And how do you know when I left the power industry? You sure seem to know a lot about me, but you also seem to like to hide behind your Tower Guy moniker. I think I may have an idea of who you are, but I could be wrong so I won't reveal that info just now, and I am sure you won't either !!

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Fox wrote:

... Researchers consider the “standard man” to be 1.75 meters tall, about 5 foot 9 inches. That makes him resonant at about 86 MHz. So the average adult makes a perfect antenna for Channel 6 television! ...
-----------------------------------------
So its a good thing for us 'short people' at 5' 8" that low band VHF is gone (well, almost). Ummm- this reminds me of a really awful song ...

Jim

The study that has been quoted over and over is the Wertheimer-Leeper study.
Power Lines and Cancer: Nothing to Fear

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
People are just plain gullible. (or, to be pc, stupid!)

Ya know, some people just don't understand the issue. As an example:

In a forum where people were discussing cable vs. sat TV, one woman posted that she wouldn't ever have sat. TV because of her concern over "RF exposure". WOW! Like that dish on the roof was attracting deadly rays into her house...

Anyway, I think the problem is much less dangerous than the dangers posed by all the pesticides, pollutants, hormones, and antibiotics we pump into our food, air, water, and ultimatly, our bodies. On the other hand, I really hope those people that wander our streets talking to themself get a good dose of something. Remember when it was easy to tell if a person was crazy, and not just on a cell phone with bluetooth? Get a life, people!

BTW, NYC drinking water is some of the best tasting water on earth. I didn't know it had no chlorine! In taste tests, NYC water consitantly beats other tap waters and the "snake oil" bottle waters hands down!

Fringe Reception

Staff member
BCF68 wrote: ... " If one actually believed that one wouldn't have any of that stuff in their house and made sure their house was painted with RF absorbing paint and taking other measures to make sure no RF got in." ...
----------------------------------------------------
HA! Great idea ... a stealth house! :whoo:

Jim