DogTV - a New Cable Network for Dogs

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
From the article:

... "DogTV, a cable network for dogs, launched in San Diego this past Monday aimed at stay-at-home canines and their workaday owners who want to feel better about time apart. Free at launch, people will eventually pay $4.99 a month for the channel, but that may seem a small for sum for fido's peace of mind." ...
---------------------
I can imagine the group of dog owners that were in Focus Groups that were somehow convinced this is a good idea. For this to be financially viable they must have expressed their willingness to (ultimately) spend five bucks per month for their TV set to babysit their dogs. Amazing.

What's next? A pay-for cable TV channel that will teach your Parrot to talk? I prefer to teach my own birds, such as "Hide the whiskey the Preacher's coming!" Even if they repeat it backwards from time to time - "Hide the Preacher the whiskey's coming!" (A true story).

TV network aims for new viewing audience: dogs - Yahoo! News

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
That's funny. Both that someone would pay $5 a month to amuse their dog, and your parrot. Although it's only a little more crazy than paying $5 a month for BabyFirstTV or BabyTV to babysit your baby. OKay, the fact that there are TWO of these channels is really crazy! And Babyfirst is also on Roku for $4.99 a month...

BTW, If your parrot is talking backwards, I think you may have a problem.
You may want to contact a priest about that...

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
lol. No way. I have a hard enough time paying for TV that I watch myself. Can't imagine $60 a year for Fido to be a couch potato too.

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Could be worth it if they have the Lassie tv series.
Been getting those dvds from Netflix lately and the three parter with Timmy and Lassie called The Odyssey brought tears to my eyes.

Damn dog.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Could be worth it if they have the Lassie tv series.
Been getting those dvds from Netflix lately and the three parter with Timmy and Lassie called The Odyssey brought tears to my eyes.

Damn dog.
Well, if you had My Family TV network (from our friends at Luken Communications) you could watch Lassie as God intended.
With an antenna, for free!

My Family TV: Lassie

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Well, if you had My Family TV network (from our friends at Luken Communications) you could watch Lassie as God intended.
With an antenna, for free!

My Family TV: Lassie
That would be nice if we had some Luken stations in Dayton, Ohio but at least there's RTV out of Cincinnati which has two back to back episodes of Lassie on saturday mornings.

Netflix has some pretty good classic Lassie dvds to borrow. One of those is called something like "Lassie: 50th TV Anniversary" which has the first episode of "Jeff's Collie" (syndication title for that series of Lassie episodes) which shows how Jeff gets the collie. It also includes the final two episodes of "Jeff's Collie" which introduced Timmy to the series.

Interesting tidbit about those two final shows of "Jeff's Collie" is that in the next to the last episode, Jeff, his mom and grandfather were all there for the filming while the final episode starts out with Jeff and his mom at grandpa's funeral. That's the story line that led them into moving away from the farm which Timmys family would then buy, along with Lassie. I thought it odd that they didn't show Gramps dying. That would have been a great scene but upon researching this on the web it turns out that Grandpa (George Cleveland) did actually die of a heart attack between the filming of the final two episode of "Jeff's Collie."

That's some weird stuff right there. It's like he gave up the ghost to help them close out the series and I wonder what the final episode of "Jeff's Collie" would have been like had he lived?

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Thanks, Trip. I'm aware of WWRD being a RTV affiliate in the Dayton area but I really can't count it as such since when I use to receive it the RTV programming was preempted by infomercials about 90% of the time. Not sure how they are (WWRD) nowadays with it since I live in a different location where the signal gets blocked by a hill.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
One of my dogs loves TV. While other dogs in my lifetime have noticed it, she really watches TV. It is so weird, but she sits and watches ... and watches ... and watches. I am totally amazed.