DONE - General Questionnaire for an OTA (Free TV) System Installation

CUT IT

DTVUSA Jr. Member
General Questionnaire for an OTA (Free TV) System Installation

What is your primary objective (check the line applicable) :
I don’t want to spend much, just want a few Local Stations:___.
I want as many as I can reasonably get:___.
I want the best system I can, to replace my Cable/Satellite Service:__X_.
I want to get EVERYTHING I can, cost is NO object:___.

Main Assembly:
What kind of Terrestrial Antenna do you presently have:
(Make/Model/None): _Walmart special___. ____.

Is the Antenna to be/or installed:
On top of your TV (same Room), Attic, Rooftop or Pole: Attic if I can, 2nd option a pole.

If inside (same room) on which floor is the Viewing Area:
First, Second, which: ___1st____Floor.

If in Attic, Roof or outside separate Mast/Pole:
How high above ground is your Antenna installed/proposed:
.__25__ft.

Do you have an Antenna Rotator:
(Make/Model/None): __no__. ____.

Are you presently using a Pre-Amplifier:

Interior:
How many linear Cable feet is it between your Antenna and the most far TV:
._about 30__ft.

How many TV sets will be/are presently being used, on this system:
.__2_#.

How many Splitters are in use in your system:
Number & Qty of outlets for each?
1 splitter with 4 outlets, I’m only using 2 of the outlets.

Are you using a Distribution Amplifier:

Additional Information:
Are you/do you plan to integrate Cable or Satellite Services with this system:
Yes/No __NO_.

Is there anything else you would like to provide concerning construction, obstructions or geographical issues? I have a newer house with radiant barrier foil on the roof decking. I live in Lake Jackson, TX

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: CUT IT

Please go to the following link and run your free antenna reception survey and post the resulting URL here for us to study. Use the maximum height above ground level where you could mount an antenna: that website will conceal your personal information from the result for your security.

Jim and the DTVUSA Staff

Fringe Reception

Staff member
CUT IT,

Your survey is very promising but it is based on your general area rather than your address. If I run a survey based on my zip code, it locates me three miles away from my actual location and the result does not represent my situation. Assuming we can trust the survey result, you might be able to use a Channel Master 3016:

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...antage-TV-Antenna-(CM3016)&c=TV Antennas&sku=

For the best chance to receive the most channels I recommend a Channel Master CM3020:

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...tenna-(CM3020)&c=TV Antennas&sku=020572030205

You should remove your 4-way splitter and replace it with a 2-way: this will double the signal strength that arrives to your two TV sets. Use black-jacketed RG-6 coaxial cable. You can use chain-link fence 'top' tubing sections for your antenna mast: these sections 'plug into' each other, are galvanized and are inexpensive. Be sure to ground the mast for lightning protection.

Jim

CUT IT

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks for the response Fringe! I just built my house on some acreage and its a new address. I think that might be the problem with just showing my area and not my true address. I still have problems with FedEx and UPS delivering packages. I like the idea about the chain link piping. I was going to weld some 2" pipe together. Your solution is a lot easier.

Fringe Reception

Staff member
CUT IT,

Although it is a large antenna, I'd definitely go with the CM3020. Depending on your mast setup it may require guy wires, but that's no biggie. Please keep us posted on your results and good luck!

Jim

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Dan,

The antenna you suggested is very unlikely to be able to receive the VHS Channels available to CUT IT as follow:

KUHT-8 -PBS
KTRK-13-ABC
KHOU-11-CBS
KDHU-7-

Quoted from his original post (emphasized) #1

"I want as many as I can reasonably get ... I want to get EVERYTHING I can, cost is NO object ..."

From his #3 post: "I'm looking to get as many channels as possible."

Per his requests, my antenna solution is far better than your UHF-only recommendation. He will receive a gazillion channels from the primary antenna farm just west of center north and he may capture some channels from 3 and 5 degrees just to the east of center north and possibly (low-band) KAHO-4.

Jim

Last edited:

SWHouston

Staff member
Jim, I'd go with Dan's choice or a CM 2018 for this one.
We really have some very weak VHF-hi's down here
and really don't need to pick up any VHF-lo.

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Dan and SW,

Nice catch. I stand corrected! Apparently Channel Master has renamed their antennas and they have entirely new pages on their website for "Advantage" and Masterpiece" series antennas. I must have copied the wrong URL from my browser/favorites and posted the wrong link. I should have checked the website.

So, the CM2018 has been renamed Digital Advantage 60 and the CM2020 is now named Digital Advantage 100 and either antenna would work for CUT IT. Many of their antennas have new names so I'm going back to see what else is different.

Jim

SWHouston

Staff member
Often times (unless one just happens to remember) how much gain is offered with the Frequencies (VHFlo/VHFhi/UHF). Have to go to he individual Spec sheets to find that. Down here in the Houston area, it's very important to choose an Antenna which has a healthy VHF-hi gain, which would include our PBS, ABC and CBS stations.

CUT IT

DTVUSA Jr. Member
The first picture is all the hardware I used. I picked all the material up at the hardware store. I used 2 top rails from a chain link fence for the pole. I drilled trough the coupling joint and installed a bolt. I flattened the 2 straps and attached them to the pole using the bolt and nut. I dug my hole about 18" deep and this ended up working great. It allowed my mounting bracket to hit right on the facial board of my house. I added the bolt cap on top to keep the water out and attach a guy wire if I need one down the road. After I got everything hooked and did a channel scan I ended up with 98 channels!!!
THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YALLS HELP!!!

The first picture is all the hardware I used. I picked all the material up at the hardware store. I used 2 top rails from a chain link fence for the pole. I drilled trough the coupling joint and installed a bolt. I flattened the 2 straps and attached them to the pole using the bolt and nut. I dug my hole about 18" deep and this ended up working great. It allowed my mounting bracket to hit right on the facial board of my house. I added the bolt cap on top to keep the water out and attach a guy wire if I need one down the road. After I got everything hooked and did a channel scan I ended up with 98 channels!!!
THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YALLS HELP!!!
98 channels! Wow! Awesome! Congratulations on such a great pickup!

So, here's my question: Are you picking up VHF channels 4, 7, and/or 8? And what's the most distant/weakest signal broadcast station you're picking up?