Don't use adblock on Hulu

AG99

DTVUSA Member
I have adblock on my firefox browser and while it does block the ads on Hulu (you get a black screen for the duration), it also seems to stop the next segment from loading. Once I allowed the ads to play, I didn't have any more streaming problems. It's slightly less boring to watch the ads than a black screen anyway.

@AG,
Thanks for the tip for Firefox and Hulu. I've never really found an ad blocker that I've been happy with to tell you the truth. It has always seemed to me that the more effective the software tool is at blocking ads, the more effective it has also been at preventing some service or site that I'm used to using from working!

AG99

DTVUSA Member
I've been very happy with adblock. It makes my pages load much faster and one of the filters even takes out all those social networking buttons. I've been able to keep flash enabled now that all those annoying flash ads are blocked. That makes it easier to watch flash-based video clips (like on youtube) instead of having to turn flash on and off all the time.

https://adblockplus.org/en/firefox

Thanks! I'll have to check it out. I do remember about 8 years ago when we had a Mac that the lack of flash support became very annoying so we switched to just buying the best laptop for the money (low-end) for use in the home after that one died (the Mac lasted all of 2 years).
I wouldn't have the patience to turn flash on/off continually....do you find you miss anything on the social media sites themselves with using the plugin? Or is the impact simply the sharing buttons on posts, etc simply go away?

AG99

DTVUSA Member
You have to use a special filter to get rid of the social media buttons. Regular adblock doesn't do it. I don't use those buttons anyway so it makes no difference to me. If you're into sharing stuff on facebook, then you won't want to use that filter.

@AG99,
Ahhh, got it and thanks much! I typically use them for a website or two that I run to make it less clicks to share pics on Pinterest and posts on Facebook. I've always been into minimizing the clicks that I use....and the webmaster part of me despises doing "auto" sharing on this sites when I post so that I can personalize the share or post, etc.