Dsi xl

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
My kid just got one of these for Christmas from her grandparents, and really, there is nothing new except the screen is bigger! I figure waiting for the 3DS where you can watch videos would have been a better option. Oh well, the kiddo seems to enjoy it.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
for kids that enjoy games, a plain old DS is fine. I got my kid a DS lite - used - at GS and a couple used DS and GBA games for cheap. She's one happy camper. (Note: The DSi and DSiXL models removed the GBA slot, so you can't play those inexpensive used GBA games anymore!)

For an adult... I love my PSP. Graphics are awesome and it plays movies, games, and music. On the minus side, their internet browser sucks (no flash support), and wireless "B" is so 1999, they could at least upgrade to "G".
And forget the PSP go! You can only download games, therefore you never "own" them.

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
I think the one thing that the Dsi and XL have over the Ds lite is that it has an internet browser and something called Flipnotes. My kid uses that more than she does the regular games....but I just don't see paying more for a screen that happens to be a bit bigger (which is why she got it from the grandparents and not us :) ).

I had no idea the PSP played movies and music. That may be something I'd like for myself!

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I had no idea the PSP played movies and music. That may be something I'd like for myself!
Mine has built in mic and Skype app, too. You can also output the video to a TV... at up to 720x480 resolution. The games are not full screen, but video is.