dsl converter box coupon

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: Debbie,

WELCOME to the DTVUSA Forum and to the world of FREE TV reception!

We are sorry to inform you the Government sponsored $40 coupon program ended about one year ago. The "coupons" were actually like prepaid debit cards and they expired 90 days after their issue. If you should happen to have one, or if you find one of these coupons for sale on Craigslist or Ebay, they have all expired and they are absolutely worthless.

That being said, you still have a number of options:

(from Mr Pogi) I just picked a converter box at the local thrift store for $4, sans remote. I bought a remote for it for under $10. Garage sales are also a good source, as people upgrade their old TVs. If you can, check them out before you purchase them to make sure they actually work!

Best Buy still sells them and there is currently one model available at Wal-Mart ($38, online only) or you can try Ebay using our Auction-bot links at the bottom of the Forum page. Check your local Craigslist, too.

Another option is to replace your current TV with a new TV (with its own digital tuner) which will not only get you FREE broadcast TV, but may give it to you genuine High Definition images (depending on the particular TV set). Smaller models, 15 to 30 inches, are currently priced from about $100 to $250.

If you are near the Canadian or Mexican border and are currently receiving analog signals from foreign stations, or if you have been receiving a Low Power analog translator, the Converter Box must have a function called analog-passthru for it to be able to receive those stations. Many Canadian and Mexican stations are now converting to digital, or they will be in the near future. Canada makes its transition toward the end of 2011. Mexico will eventually follow and some stations close to the US border have already converted.

Make sure you have a proper antenna for it and rabbit ears usually don't work very well. We are here to help you out with selecting the right antenna for your location. I hope this helps.

Jim and Mr Pogi.