Question: DT250A Sudden turn-off although the red power off light is On.

I had on the tv this morning and then the screen faltered as it sometimes does in bad weather or when the signal isn't strong. Then the screen went blue on the tv and said "No Signal". I assumed it would be back shortly but after no tv came back on I went to adjust my antenna (I have the rabbit ear variety in a window) and noticed that the convertor box appeared that it had powered off. The red light that indicates it is off was still lit though. I of course tried pressing the power button on the DTV and nothing. I held it down and could hear the faintest of a high-pitched noise as I did this. I read other's questions and tried unplugging the box for about twenty minutes. I made sure power was getting to the box (obviously, since the red light is on, it is getting power). I am at a loss for what is going on. Since I can rule out power is it a defective box? I have only had it for just at a year or less but had no problems with it until this.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Hello.and welcome!

The red light never goes out or turns green, or whatever it does when you turn it on?

Try leaving it unplugged overnight. if that doesn't do it, you've probably got a dead box. Most converter boxes were cheaply made and prone to failures. I may have gotten lucky, I have 3 different units and they all still work, although none of mine are available new anymore. If you need a new one, try ebay. But be aware that they all pretty much are unreliable. (also, radio shack, best buy, and walmart all sell boxes online... be sure to check"customer reviews" for these things. Dismal.)

FOX TV

Contributor
failing electrolytic capacitors could be the problem !!

I had on the tv this morning and then the screen faltered as it sometimes does in bad weather or when the signal isn't strong. Then the screen went blue on the tv and said "No Signal". I assumed it would be back shortly but after no tv came back on I went to adjust my antenna (I have the rabbit ear variety in a window) and noticed that the convertor box appeared that it had powered off. The red light that indicates it is off was still lit though. I of course tried pressing the power button on the DTV and nothing. I held it down and could hear the faintest of a high-pitched noise as I did this. I read other's questions and tried unplugging the box for about twenty minutes. I made sure power was getting to the box (obviously, since the red light is on, it is getting power). I am at a loss for what is going on. Since I can rule out power is it a defective box? I have only had it for just at a year or less but had no problems with it until this.
This sounds like bad or failing electrolytic capacitors, or possibly an over heating problem. The squeal is sometimes produced by the electrolytic capacitors failing, and there has been a rash of cheap ones in the low end electronics suppliers chain in the last 10 years or so.

I have fixed 4 different LCD Computer monitors in the past year or so, simply by replacing the electrolytic capacitors on the circuit board, and this even included a Samsung 19 inch LCD TV / Computer monitor that was only a year old. I am currently using dual computer monitors that were repaired using this method. Open the case, and if you see bulging or leaking electrolytic capacitors, you may be able to repair it if your soldering skills are up to the task.

What brand of box is this? Some of them use surface mount technology, and if that is the case, they are almost impossible to repair, and are destined for the trash can. Most boxes suffer from overheating due to inadequate cooling. After all, they are computers, and most conventional computers NEED SOME TYPE OF FORCED COOLING, and that was excluded in order to make the boxes CHEAPLY !! And of course, the Federal Government set the standard for the cheapness of the boxes to "SAVE THE TAXPAYER MONEY" !!

Last edited:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
FoxTV,

Yea, I just fished a nice HP 24" LCD monitor out of the recycle @work, with DVI, VGA AND component inputs, haven't opened it yet but I'm sure that's the problem. I found the complete set of caps online for $10 (i don't have time to hunt down individual caps!) For a converter box, if its caps.. hmm, it may not be worth it if you don't have access to the parts ( consider Radio Shack blister pack prices for them... if you can find them!)

Good point about the heat. I have vented my DTVpal, and I am going to put a fan in another converter I have. I would put a fan in my DTVpal, but I need it to run on battery in an emergency for now (until I can get a portable DTV). Too bad it won't bring back a converter from the dead!

You know what they say, hindsight is something, something, something?

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I found another site where everyone had similar problems with the Apex DT250A. So I searched online to find a converter box with good reviews. CNET has an entire review of converter boxes, and this one was listed as one of the best! How ridiculous! I can't believe we are forced to pay this extra money for JUNK! I wish I had the technological savvy to fix a box and put in a fan, but alas. . . you guys should start a repair business!

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: Wendilane,

As you have probably figured out, all Converter boxes aren't created equally. One box that is outstanding (in my opinion) is the Channel Master 7000 and it is made in Bulgaria rather than China. The only drawback to the CM box has to do with your personal region's channels, because this box cannot pass analog signals. So if you live near the Canadian or Mexican border and watch their analog stations or if you have a low-power (LP) analog station you watch, this box is not for you.

Jim

"(I had found someone online who had replaced the same cap to fix theirs.) I just replaced that cap with a Radio Shack pant number 272-1030 ($1.29) and it lives again!"

I had that same, exact experience. My APEX 250 is now up and running.
The unit is physically well made but there are a bunch of
that same brand (cheap) caps in it.

I like the unit because it has a good signal strength meter (0 - 100) which was a big help with aiming my antenna.

470uf

Capacitor replacement worked for me

In my case it was C8, 470uf 25V. Replaced that cap and the unit is good as new.

G

The solution is:
Change the following capacitors:
Apex DT-250

1.- 47uf 16v (C6)

4.- 470uf 25v capacitors

better picture and a new box, good luck.

G

I have two of these Apex units that won't power on.
How can I tell which capacitors on the power supply board need replaced and which do not?
Only one has the slightest curved top but tests the same as the others with an ohmmeter.
Thanks

J

JHO

SOVED Apex DT250 not turning ON (green) problem

Power light stay on RED and cannot turn ON the converter and therefore the analog TV does not work - there is TV static because it cannot recognize a digital signal.
I solved the problem and now it works. Unfortunately it's beyond the ability of most consumers to repair this. The problem was two (2) 470uf 16v capacitors that had blown. These capacitors are needed to start the device.
I replaced them in an hour or so with 470uf 35v caps at 39 cents each plus shipping. You can tell the caps are blown by the bulging tops - they should be flat. A handy person with the proper tools should be able to fix this.
Now my analog TV works again - hurray!!
I believe that the company might be using marginal caps (16v) and within a short time turning on/off they blow. That's why I used a higher voltage (35v) cap - but you must use the same size cap (mine were 470uf).
WARNING! Be careful when working with capacitors as they might have charge on them and could seriously hurt you. This worked for me and may not work for you and following this advice is completely at your risk.

Hope this helps.