DTT900 versus the DTT901

jonnyd97

DTVUSA Member
Hi fellows. I need to purchase eight (8) converter boxes and from what I have researched the Zenith units have the best reception without equivocation. I am purchasing some through mail order sources. I see the DTT900 and the DTT901. What is the difference? Is the 901 known for having better reception results?

Thank you men!

The 901 has analog pass through, so unless you have some analog stations in your lineup, it makes very little difference.

The Zenith DTT901 is the exact same animal as the Insignia NS-DXA1-APT. Same converter, same features, same manual, same remote. Manufactured by the same company -- LG. Don't get the Zenith unless you like to spend more money. I stole a tested but "as new" Insignia NS-DXA1 on eBay for $14 with S&H, but you should expect to pay at least $35. Make sure it has the remote. Get the APT version of the Insignia if you want the Analog Pass Through or if you care about a very minor increase in the "hiss" when people say an "s" in the older non-APT version.

Zenith DTT900 = Insignia NS-DXA1
Zenith DTT901 = Insignia NS-DXA1-APT

Rick

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Years ago, I purchased two Zenith Converter boxes and both failed do to swollen capacitors within 8 months. I cannot recall the specific model number but personally I wouldn't buy another one from that Chinese (rebranded) manufacturer. Just an opinion.

Jim

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
I've had three Zenith 901's and an Insignia since the transition in 2009 and none have failed yet, granted one has been in the box the last three years but the other three have been hooked up and working great all these years.

Why would anyone want analog pass through at this point?
Progress ain't all it's cracked up to be. There's a recent thread where OP lives in the mountains, and there are half a dozen retransmitters, all analog -- only way he can get a decent lineup.

I have two analog stations come to me from Chicago area. I watched a movie on one of them all the way through once. Marlon Brando was playing Mr. Christian. Snowy as hell, but it was fun. Like old times. :gramps:

Mutiny On The Bounty! Knew I'd think of it...

Rick