dtv and old vhs

rlsrls

DTVUSA Rookie
Can anyone tell me if after the transition and with a converter can my old vhs recorder record shows? My recorder is not capable of channel "4.1" for example only "4".
To ask same question in another way will any stations still be broadcasting on "4" or will all be :4.1 " or something similar?

Last edited:

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Can anyone tell me if after the transition and with a converter can my old vhs recorder record shows? My recorder is not capable of channel "4.1" for example only "4".
To ask same question in another way will any stations still be broadcasting on "4" or will all be :4.1 " or something similar?
Yes you will be able to record using your VCR and a CECB. You wouldn't be able to use the VCR to record if you purchased a converter with HD output.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Can anyone tell me if after the transition and with a converter can my old vhs recorder record shows? My recorder is not capable of channel "4.1" for example only "4". To ask same question in another way will any stations still be broadcasting on "4" or will all be :4.1 " or something similar?
Your VHS recorder's tuner will be unable to tune in broadcast channels after the DTV transition. Instead, you will use the converter to tune in the channels, and then connect your VHS recorder to one of the outputs of the converter, and record programming that way. How you connect the VHS recorder to your converter will depend. Many of the converters only support RF output (a coaxial cable). Connecting your converter to your VHS recorder via coaxial cable will put the channel that you have tuned in on your converter onto Channel 3 or Channel 4 on your VHS recorder. (Connecting your converter to your VHS recorder using auxiliary inputs would put the channel that that you have tuned in on your converter onto the "AUX" or "LINE IN" "channel" of your VHS recorder.)

So essentially, the transition means you need to do two things instead of one: Set the converter up to tune in the correct broadcast channel, and then set the VHS recorder to tune in the correct channel that the converter puts out what it tuned in on.

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
If you're using a converter box with your VCR, you won't need to worry about your changing the channel on your VCR. Your converter will be feeding the channel output directly to your VCR, so it'll be the only device that needs to be tuned to 4.1 or 4.2. Which converter box are you using?

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
Somewhat related:

I found out the problem with my Pnanasonic DMR-EZ28 DVD recorder, as it records 25-29.90 frames a second. I need a HD-DVD recorder as that records 50-60 frames a second. Unfortunately, that does not exist anymore now since it lost the format war. Blu-ray? Way out of my league for 10 years. I wonder if my VHS tapes would survive that long. Until then, it'd be terrible to convert my VHS tapes to such a lousy speed. It's like converting a 35mm camera film to a 110 camera film. That just isn't done!