Question: Dtv box Wont turn on anymore

I'm having trouble with my converer box. Each time I try turning it on with the remote. The converter box light turns green and blinks for 5 seconds and turns off, for no reason. Its been like this for close to a week.
Any ideas on why my converter box is doing this? :becky:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
What brand??

Tell us what brand. These things are built pretty poorly.

Does your box get hot?

My DTVpal does weird things sometimes. The first thing I try is to unplug it for about 15 min. and try again.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
My guess is its fried. How long a time out did you give it? Also, any sort of burnt electrinic component smell? I don't own that brand, my neighbor and dad have one.

I would look for a replacement on Ebay. You'll pay about $20+... most of them are also refurb magnavoxes. If you get a new one, make sure you keep it from heat sources, and if you can... open the case and drill some vent holes.

Or bite the bullet and buy a new TV...

FOX TV

Contributor
Magnavox Converter Box heating issues

The brand of it is a MAGNAVOX and it does get pretty hot after a while. I've tried un-pluggin it and it does not work.
I have an old Magnavox converter, and it does suffer from heat buildup inside the case. I did a few modifications to help this issue. I took a soldering iron an cut two slots in the top about 1/2 inch wide and 2 inches long. I then took some metal window screen material and used the soldering iron to melt the screen to the inside of the top cover. See the uploaded pictures for detail.

This modification took the average temperature of the box from almost 118 degrees to a about 90 degrees after about an hour on time according to my infrared heat sensing gun.

Have you tried calling the toll free number on the bottom of the unit for help? 1-800-605-8610. This is the help and setup toll free number.

You may try removing the top cover and running it without it to see if it helps, but please be WARNED that if you have no experience working with 120 volt line voltage, this is not for you !! Running it with the cover off exposes you to hazardous line voltage, and is not for the inexperienced tinkerer !!!

Attachments

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome:I-guess101,

Take a look at my profile: I have a photo folder there with pictures showing how I modified a DTV Pal converter box to let heat escape.
Jim

* PS As Fox TV posted:
You may try removing the top cover and running it without it to see if it helps, but please be WARNED that if you have no experience working with 120 volt line voltage, this is not for you !! Running it with the cover off exposes you to hazardous line voltage, and is not for the inexperienced tinkerer !!!