DTV boxes and MATV systems

pmartel

DTVUSA Rookie
I have seen little information as to whether DTV boxes will work with MATV systems.

As I live in Canada, my bldg has an MATV system, I am ready for the DTV conversion, but I wonder if my DTV box will work, I'm also sure that this is a big concern for the millions of Americans who live in similar bldgs.

Has anyone any views as to how this is going to work?? I also note that thanks to reading the forum, I see the conversion has been put off til June??

Ideas on this??

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
MATV systems here in the U.S. have to be retrofitted with equipment, etc. to be upgraded for DTV. I think it's expensive too.

Thomas G

Contributor
Yes, most apartment-condos-town homes in the states on MATV systems will probably trash their old setups in exchange for basic cable service of some sort. This is only a guesstimate on my part, but I've seen dollar amounts from $10,000 to $25,000 to upgrade MATV for DTV.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
I have seen little information as to whether DTV boxes will work with MATV systems.

As I live in Canada, my bldg has an MATV system, I am ready for the DTV conversion, but I wonder if my DTV box will work, I'm also sure that this is a big concern for the millions of Americans who live in similar bldgs.

Has anyone any views as to how this is going to work?? I also note that thanks to reading the forum, I see the conversion has been put off til June??

Ideas on this??
Posted an answer here: http://www.dtvusaforum.com/introduce-yourself/1566-greetings-canada.html

TonyT

DTVUSA Member
Yes, most MATV systems need to be upgraded, but I'd suggest having a couple of MATV companies come out and give you a quote. Some systems require quite a few additional components while others require minimal adjustment and cost.