dtv conspiricy?

nowhereman825

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Ok guys tell me what you think.First off i'm not a nut job
or a holy roller but i like to tell it as i see it. I mean
look at the big picture here. The transition from analog to
digital has its up's and downs 1. analog is a bandwith hog
going digital and selling off the extra spectrum will help emergency
services, wireless internet and cell phones and whatever else.
To me thats great. but, what about the loss of "long range markets"
This is something that i've been researching but have not found
a lot of information about. It seems that lower powered digital
signals will have for the most part the same coverage area as
it's analog counterpart as seen on coverage maps on tvfool.com.

Back in the early 90's i erected a huge tv antenna(18'boom) on a 36'
push-up pole i outfitted it with a two part amp. One on the pole
and one in the house also installed a rotator. Anyways, from
my home in mississippi i could watch channel 5 out of mexico
city when the conditions were right.I could see stations from
all over the country. Will lower powered digital signals have
the same characteristics? Will we be able to use skip (signal propagation)
in the same way? Remember,if its transmitted we have a right as
american citizens to recieve it. Lets say that the digital signals
are too weak to skip like the analog signal.We lose the ability
to "see" whats going on around us.In a time as now where we are
reaching"peak oil" terrisom is running rampant economy is falling
apart civil unrest etc. This could be a way for the government
to isolate the media markets and use this to their benefit to control
certain content and information to reach certain markets.
That would be a scary thought. I also heard a rumour that converter
boxes are region specific much like a dvd. And if so why? and if
not is this something that is on the way? I also heard that if you
use microsoft vista w/ tuner card to record dtv it will deny your
ability to do so via the broadcasters digital instruction. Interesting
too say the least.Like i said i call it as i see it. I hope i'm
wrong about this. I think radio will be next. sorry about the long
post but i think this has to be at least discussed. thank you for
your time..

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
That's a lot to chew on there. ;) When you get a chance, take a look at this thread: http://www.dtvusaforum.com/everything-else/1150-dtv-article-predicting-mess-february-2009-a.html and check out the EDN article.

...the FCC promised broadcasters was that digital TV would be far less susceptible to interference than analog TV. This was, well I don’t want to say a big government department is a bunch of liars, so let’s use the college-professor term, and call it counterfactual. See, the MBAs and decision-makers never called up the analog engineers that run the transmitters or they would have learned how preposterous is the proposition that digital is always better. EDN.com
I'm not sure about a grand conspiracy for keeping tabs on consumers, but I don't like how the standards for DTV signals came about. I think Japan has the right idea with transition to DTV. They've broadcasted DTV signals for more than 10 years, yet their transition date isn't until 2011.

and why do cable companies use a different standard (QAM), instead of (VSB) for local stations? TVs with digital tuners (or converter boxes) that are not compatible with QAM will not receive High Definition local stations.....

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
Nice choice of user ID, there. I remember the TV show, the ending was quite a twist. Moving along...

It may feel like a conspiracy by the media operators. Personally, I don't like digital, unless the encoding formula is completely lossless, like huffyuv. I don't like MP3s, either, but I've learned to put up with them. I just crank the bitrate way up high, it's pretty close to lossless.

Anyways, the conspiracy is quite more apparent as networks are now using the power of all their secondary stations to erect a better image on one channel they own. NBC owns many UHF stations. I remember reading about deregulation of UHF station ownership - they can now own several UHF stations. And now DTV transition is pushing many channels into the UHF band. It's just better business. If you have a high action TV show, you don't want viewers changing channels in disgust when the action sequence is in full swing.

The changeover is supposed to make room for emergency communications, I recollect.

I've yet to see how these DTV channels are seen on cable television.

And I don't know what will happen to the ownership regulations, since the way these channels operate are in a whole new animal. I hope they don't decide to crowd the UHF band with oodles of watery-looking crummy-picture-quality stations.

nowhereman825

DTVUSA Jr. Member
well, i think that the gov'mt should at least keep 1 emergency analog station available in each market say channel 9. This station will be the same channel for everyone throughout the country in every market. In a time of war or natural disaster it would be a proven form of communication to the mass public. Only to transmitt during an emergency. Maybe the most powerful transmitter in each market could be designated
for this. maybe thru a gov'mt funded program or such. at least until analog tv's are no
longer supported,manufactured or ortherwise on the free market used or new. this
will take many years,but i feel it would be the responsible thing to do.

I think you've been watching to many of those silly documentaries and outer space movies on the television

its just tv. dont wanna watch it smash it. think its controlling your mind then get rid of it lol

Last edited:

nowhereman825

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Don't tell me i'm the only one who thinks this way? okay, lets say the united states
gets bombed with nuclear weapons. i'm sittin' in the woods and every major station is taken offline with in 100 miles of my location. i can no longer recieve the distant stations
to provide me with the news or whats happning. this could be a reality someday. like i said i'm looking to the future. Remember the constution? free speech? remember that it is your right as an american citizen to recieve any information that is put out there. weather it be by mouth,tv,radio,internet,tin can with string. it's your right! the goverment is not taking away your right but your ability.wake up america.

While i see the DTV Transition being forced on people and not allowing the normal progress of technology evolve where we would all be watching digital eventually anyways, and while i don't like having my freedom of choice being replaced by 'all or nothing' junk like 'buy new converter or go without tv' as if we're in a dictatorship, As far as emergency information goes, TV is not the only source. if the power is out, unless you have a portable TV (which is the one effect the DTV transition ruins, it makes that upgrade necessary since DTV converters require AC Juice) you would crank on a battery powered radio to listen to an FM/AM station for the same EAS warnings. in fact, as far as i know, Satellite radio is NOT replacing FM anytime soon. not yet anyways, the DTV transition will have zero effect on radio.

Now i do like DTV, i like the clear picture, extra channels i wouldn't get anywhere else for free, i don't like this forced on people. selling points that grab people like 'get extra channels and satellite picture without the monthly fee' and other extras would sell DTV without the need for it being hurried on the consumer. we would all get it eventually as that's how technology moves. the need to get the Government involved in 'hurrying' it up seems wrong when there's a war and bad economy on the rise. they got more important matters and it seems off. you sure didn't see them force the internet into our lives, even though it did that on it's own, why can't DTV just fall into place the same way?

The only 'conspiracy' i see is the Government is trying a new plan and it may go further. they start with something stupid like TV, then once they find a plan that works once, it will be attempted again. it could go next with Compact Fluorescents being the only bulb on the market, and banning regular lightbulbs (already happening some places) to even forcing people to give up older cars and trucks and buy hybrids, citing this Global Warming crap.

And i'm telling you now, they're NOT taking my 1984 Chrysler Fifth Avenue away from ME!

Last edited:
yeah that's the worst theory, not even good enough to be considered a 'theory' even.

Back in the 1970s they used to say the same about 'Pay TV' (cable television) that it's taking over your home but oh well so much for that PSA eh?

Byte24

DTVUSA Member
Don't tell me i'm the only one who thinks this way? okay, lets say the united states
gets bombed with nuclear weapons. i'm sittin' in the woods and every major station is taken offline with in 100 miles of my location. i can no longer recieve the distant stations
to provide me with the news or whats happning. this could be a reality someday. like i said i'm looking to the future. Remember the constution? free speech? remember that it is your right as an american citizen to recieve any information that is put out there. weather it be by mouth,tv,radio,internet,tin can with string. it's your right! the goverment is not taking away your right but your ability.wake up america.
You have to spell Government correctly before we can take anything you say seriously. :p

Byte24

DTVUSA Member
I think a better conspiracy argument would be that there are a lot of corporations that are benefiting off of the digital transition instead of U.S. citizens getting a fair deal. Look at all of the cable and satellite companies who are reporting higher subscribers this year because of the digital transition. At minimum, the Government should have mandated that all local stations carry analog for another 5 years with digital siganls just to work the bugs out. I mean, we see it everyday at the forum here, with people posting questions about their reception issues, and how come their roof top antennas don't work.

It would have been nicer (not to mention less negative press about DTV when it's not that bad for those who can get it) if the Government had left their nose out of it. i don't know why they would force everyone to have DTV when there's just some out there who will never be ready. why does the Government care anything about a luxury anyway? there's no environmental benefit, no real purpose of forcing it except to make money off the bands. they claim for emergency and stuff but i don't hear firefighters, ambulances, or cellular companies complaining about a lack of reception nor transmitting ability? also since when did the Government care about benefiting the general public anyways?

I cannot help but think this has some relation to the War in Iraq. Maybe the military needs the bands?

Zaga

DTVUSA Rookie
DTV is a scam. Sponsored by the US government, congress, fundemental lobbyists and the FCC.

Watch the video and spread the word:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpP0X4Pw9yA[/YOUTUBE]​

June 12th, 2009 : The END of free TV