DTV Converter and Basic Cable

prytzen

DTVUSA Rookie
I want to get a converter box that will work with my basic cable. What do i need to buy and or look for so that i can have all my basic cable channels plus the OTA DTV channels?

Thanks for your help.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I want to get a converter box that will work with my basic cable. What do i need to buy and or look for so that i can have all my basic cable channels plus the OTA DTV channels?

Thanks for your help.
Any of the CECBs will work for what you want to do. I would go with either the Insignia NS-DXA1-APT or Dish Network DTVPal Plus and connect using the TV switch or an external switch or splitter. Post back with your TV make and model and we can tell you the best way to connect it.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Hmmm... maybe I don't understand. It sounded to me like the OP wanted a single converter box that will combine OTA DTV channels and basic cable channels. Perhaps I misread?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member

Thanks for your help.
Hmmm... maybe I don't understand. It sounded to me like the OP wanted a single converter box that will combine OTA DTV channels and basic cable channels. Perhaps I misread?
Yeah, I think 1inxs might be a little off on this one. :)

prytzen, you cannot use a over-the-air converter box with cable. You'll need to get a splitter or A/B switch and run your basic cable into one input of the splitter and a coax from the converter into the other side of the splitter. You'll have to manually switch back and forth between the two.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Or spend big bucks on a TiVo HD... it integrates analog, digital OTA, and digital cable together, along with a DVR that can record two programs at the same time, while you're watching something previously recorded.

these converter boxes are only for people who use an antenna for local stations, cable doesn't need any box (yet) because the cable co. converts it to digital for their customers.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Yeah, I think 1inxs might be a little off on this one. :)

prytzen, you cannot use a over-the-air converter box with cable. You'll need to get a splitter or A/B switch and run your basic cable into one input of the splitter and a coax from the converter into the other side of the splitter. You'll have to manually switch back and forth between the two.
If I'm off why did you give him the exact same advice:confused: That's why I asked him to post back with more information. That way I, you or anyone else wouldn't be speculating and giving erroneous information;)

StaticMHZ just gave me an idea. why not just have the station who broadcasts OTA convert the signal at their end and do away with this whole converter box mess? i mean that's how cable does it?

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
StaticMHZ just gave me an idea. why not just have the station who broadcasts OTA convert the signal at their end and do away with this whole converter box mess? i mean that's how cable does it?
They no longer own the rights to the analog signal unless they rebid them and won.

No, i'm not talking about broadcasting in analog, but converting the new digital signal to analog at their end thus rendering the converter box unneeded and moot. you'd still get the clear picture and channels but no converter box needed and no one needs to do anything.

Cable is a digital signal converted to analog at the source and then to the TV in question. so why not do a very similar step with OTA and convert it at the source the same way basic cable does it?

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
No, i'm not talking about broadcasting in analog, but converting the new digital signal to analog at their end thus rendering the converter box unneeded and moot. you'd still get the clear picture and channels but no converter box needed and no one needs to do anything.

Cable is a digital signal converted to analog at the source and then to the TV in question. so why not do a very similar step with OTA and convert it at the source the same way basic cable does it?
Are you going to run a cable from the television station to your TV or are you going to receive it through the airwaves to your antenna? If it's OTA it's broadcast and they don't have analog rights unless they purchased them with the high bid..

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member

Oh, I think I see what you're saying. Broadcast digital but down convert at the digital broadcast tower to analog? It would still necessitate the need for a analog broadcast transmitter. Plus, the Government has "mandated" the switch to digital only broadcast signals, so I don't think it would be possible anyway.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Analog takes up between 8 and 10 times as much bandwidth as digital.