DTV Converter Box with a Satellite Receiver (Together)

U

Unregistered

We just got our satellite service connected to another TV set in the house but according to the technician that came over to install everything, we need a converter box to receive local channels. He said part of the reason is because our TV doesn't have a digital tuner.

So what do you guys recommend for a converter box? Also, is there any way to connect them together so that I don't have to switch inputs back and forth on my TV? Thank you.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Are you still getting local channels over-the-air? I thought everybody these days got their local channels beamed from the satellite.

Obviously that's not the case for you. But I'm still confused. Most satellite TV companies offer receivers that can get over-the-air without a converter box though. You just have to connect an antenna to it.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
My personal favorite D2A converter box is a Channel Master 7000 but if you have any remaining low-power analog translators or repeaters in your area or live near either the Canadian or Mexican borders where analog is still used, be aware this box does not have the analog passthru feature and it won't receive those channels.

I think a simple 'A-B' antenna switch is all you need to switch from free OTA to Satellite but you may have to go into the on-screen menu of your television to 'tell it' what your signal source is. On the other hand, it might be possible to set your Satellite box and Converter box outputs to different channels (3 & 4) and switch between the boxes via your TV remote control or manually using its channel-change-knob and then select viewing channels with the boxes remotes. I haven't tried it but others here are more in the know about Satellite than I. Stand by.

Jim

Jim1348

DTVUSA Member
DTV Converter Box With A Satellite Receiver (Together)

Are you still getting local channels over-the-air? I thought everybody these days got their local channels beamed from the satellite.

Obviously that's not the case for you. But I'm still confused. Most satellite TV companies offer receivers that can get over-the-air without a converter box though. You just have to connect an antenna to it.

Well, certainly not everybody! I have a DISH Network 722k with the optional over the air tuner. I prefer it that way because if there is loss of signal from the satellite, say due to a severe rain storm, I still get terrestrial channels. I also have converter boxes connected to most of my TVs around the home and farm even if they are connected to the DISH 722k. That way if the satellite receiver has to re-boot, I still can get local channels. For the original poster, can you list which satellite service provider you have and which TV you are using? Converter boxes are okay, but if you want good quality over the air signal, I may be able to suggest some other devices.