DTV converter box woes

mstic101

DTVUSA Rookie
I see I am not alone with my frustration with the quality of the DTV converter boxes. I bought a Magnavox at Walmart and it was slow in loading the channels. Eventually (after the return period, of course) the digital tuner stopped pulling in the local PBS channels - and I live about 100 feet from the tower (!) I was much happier with the Insignia I got from Best Buy - until it stopped pulling in the local CBS channel that comes in crystal clear with my TV tuner (and has converted to digital).

I guess I am stuck spending the money on a new TV - which I think was the point in our being forced into this great "advance" in TV watching. And my old TV which works perfectly fine is destined to be another toxic article in the landfills - or worse yet (if I pay the $10 to have it "recycled") shipped to China to be added to the pile that has made a toxic waste dump of one of their cities (electronics pollution is very toxic).

I would like to know the list of lobbyists who convinced our legislators that this was such a necessary transition - probably a lot of electronics manufacturers. Maybe the best solution is to give up watching TV.

I see I am not alone with my frustration with the quality of the DTV converter boxes. I bought a Magnavox at Walmart and it was slow in loading the channels. Eventually (after the return period, of course) the digital tuner stopped pulling in the local PBS channels - and I live about 100 feet from the tower (!) I was much happier with the Insignia I got from Best Buy - until it stopped pulling in the local CBS channel that comes in crystal clear with my TV tuner (and has converted to digital).

I guess I am stuck spending the money on a new TV - which I think was the point in our being forced into this great "advance" in TV watching. And my old TV which works perfectly fine is destined to be another toxic article in the landfills - or worse yet (if I pay the $10 to have it "recycled") shipped to China to be added to the pile that has made a toxic waste dump of one of their cities (electronics pollution is very toxic).

I would like to know the list of lobbyists who convinced our legislators that this was such a necessary transition - probably a lot of electronics manufacturers. Maybe the best solution is to give up watching TV.
one of your problems may be tuner overload with a transmitter 100 ft away it a wonder you get anything at all. what type of antenna are you using. digital is very sensitive to multipath and overload to strong a signal is as bad as to little. the PBS station my be your problem. hook the insignia back up and rescan for channels and see what happens the cbs when it went digital had not been added to the box rescan using the add channel option and see what happens, this is not an option with the magnivox which is one of the worst rate boxes out there.

Last edited:

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member

100' away from broadcast towers?!?! Build quality on some of these "CECBs" (Coupon Elgible Converter Boxes), is not quite up to par. I cringe at the thought of how many converter boxes are going to be defective after 5-10 years of operation.

Just to warn you, some of the newer DTVs / HDTVs have weaker digital tuners than converter boxes (like my Mitsubishi LCD TV). So, purchasing a new TV is most likely not going to be the best answer to your digital reception woes.