DTV Coupon Stats

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
This thread is for the discussion of DTV Coupon statistics which are updated weekly at this link.

I've attached a picture of stats updated through 5-13-09 (just in case you don't have a .pdf viewer):

Note: The average daily orders are going up as we get closer the 6-12-09 transition date.​

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Wow! Those numbers are truly amazing. Over six million active still. I've never looked at those numbers before and they almost seem overwhelming. I wonder what they were like in January before the date was set back to June. Thanks for sharing.

Lurker Lee

DTVUSA Member
Interesting that only about 1/2 of the coupons mailed have been redeemed. I guess people are waiting until the bitter end (or a big sale like a Memorial Day sale or a tax refund). I've heard speculation that the prices will drop after the conversion, so maybe people are waiting for that. Of course, I'm also curious how they are counting the coupons. Eg - I let my first two expire, and just recently got two more. Does that count as two coupons or four? And if I have only redeemed one so far, have I redeemed 1/2 or 1/4?

Interesting that only about 1/2 of the coupons mailed have been redeemed. I guess people are waiting until the bitter end (or a big sale like a Memorial Day sale or a tax refund). I've heard speculation that the prices will drop after the conversion, so maybe people are waiting for that. Of course, I'm also curious how they are counting the coupons. Eg - I let my first two expire, and just recently got two more. Does that count as two coupons or four? And if I have only redeemed one so far, have I redeemed 1/2 or 1/4?
The way I understand it ,they only count the coupons from the time you order until A. you use a coupon or B. Let a coupon expire. You are not allowed to have any more than 2 active coupons per household.

if you apply for 2 coupons and use 2, you cannot apply and receive any further coupons

if you apply for 2 coupons and let them expire, you can order 2 more coupons

if you apply for 2 coupons and use 1 and let the other 1 expire, you can reapply for 1.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
5-20-09: Updated Coupon Statistics

Looks like Coupon orders are on the rise again last week from today's update (5-20-09)...predictably as the transition nears. Redemption rate is down slightly by .1% to 55.6%.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Well, I repeat, my sister would be happy to be part of the redeemed stat, but she can't find a box to get. That makes things a little difficult. In my opinion, the whole transition is still a mess.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Well, I repeat, my sister would be happy to be part of the redeemed stat, but she can't find a box to get. That makes things a little difficult. In my opinion, the whole transition is still a mess.
It'll probably get worse, we're only 22 days out. Has she checked at solidsignal.com or amazon.com?

Piggie

Super Moderator
The redemption rate fell slightly this week. So did total active coupons.
I wonder with the cable companies monopolizing on the "We will be your pay per month nanny", that many that ordered coupons late are not using them.

At this late hour many are finding this too much (which it can be), so bump it I will just get that $10/month for a year cable deal.

It is going to be interesting if the June and July Nielsen books will show a drop or increase in the number of people on OTA vs cable. For the last 2 years OTA has been winning, going from about 7% in the Gainesville FL market to 11%. Recently someone said they found it was now over 12% for the country on OTA.

I can call a guy I know that gets the Nielsen book every month, so I can call him to ask him to look up the OTA stats, but it's limited to Gainesville.

I tell you one thing. I am watching WCJB (ABC/CW+) station for the last hour. First on ABC, now on CW+. Between Cox cable and Dish Network (and a few lawyers) they are sponsoring the last two shows I watched.

Cox and Dish are slamming the available slots, with as many as 4 commercials per hour to switch to cable or a dish. DirecTV not so much, but they don't have locals in Gainesville, so that also makes sense their ads haven't increased to more than a few times a day.

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
Cox and Dish are slamming the available slots, with as many as 4 commercials per hour to switch to cable or a dish. DirecTV not so much, but they don't have locals in Gainesville, so that also makes sense their ads haven't increased to more than a few times a day.
They're advertising big on the internet too.

Last edited:

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
6-3-09: Updated Coupon Statistics

Redemption rate fell again by .1% this week. Average daily coupon orders remain virtually the same. I guess we'll start seeing an uptick in coupon orders after the June 12 digital transition or closer to the last day dtv coupons can be ordered (which is July 31st, 2009).

Piggie

Super Moderator
They're advertising big on the internet too.
Watching Jacksonville FL TV today and Comcast there hired the same talent that did the stations PSAs to do their cable commercial. Making it look like a PSA until the end where you end the confusion and buy cable. That is some creative marketing.

The sad part of creative marketing, is it makes obvious how gullible the people are to hear what they want to hear.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Watching Jacksonville FL TV today and Comcast there hired the same talent that did the stations PSAs to do their cable commercial. Making it look like a PSA until the end where you end the confusion and buy cable. That is some creative marketing.

The sad part of creative marketing, is it makes obvious how gullible the people are to hear what they want to hear.
Some marketing/avertising is creative, and some are downright trickery. I've seen a few cable companies adjust their "DTV Info" pages a year or so ago to include less marketing of their services on those pages.

Owning a few blog sites over the past few years has opened my eyes on how gullible some people are. I used to get comments on posts where people would supply their home addresses and phone numbers. A few social security numbers to requesting services, etc. Just plain weird.