DTV Delay would cost PBS $22 Million

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
NEW YORK (AP) — Delaying the upcoming digital TV transition for four months would cost public broadcasters $22 million, the PBS system chief estimated on Monday.
The Associated Press: Digital transition delay would cost PBS $22M

I don't get it, will it cost PBS as a whole $22 Million?

And just what is behind the costs?

The stations will face increased power charges to maintain over-the-air broadcast signals, she said. Many have leases for signal transmitters that were due to expire on the date of the switch over and will have to make new arrangements, she said.
Seems to be an over exaggeration to me.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I read somewhere online that each transmitter cost $10,000 to $15,000 per month to run so the $22 million figure may be about right.
Ouch! Is that power usage costs, or I wonder if it actually requires extra personnel and maintenance too? Just seems like a lot of money considering the non mechanical nature of a broadcast tower...

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Ouch! Is that power usage costs, or I wonder if it actually requires extra personnel and maintenance too? Just seems like a lot of money considering the non mechanical nature of a broadcast tower...
I'm not sure.

I read that on one of the google news alerts I subscribed to. Think it was a tv station engineer who said that was the average cost per month per transmitter, or maybe that was for both transmitters. I'd imagine the monthly electric bill would be pretty high since those stations have gotta use a lot of power to transmit their signals out so far.