dtv has me steaming

lpenix

DTVUSA Rookie
i have been with them from the begining, back when you had to pay 700.00 for the system, never been late on one payment, wanted to upgrade to two hd dvr's, was told i had to buy them, i ask why because you are giving them to new customers, and was told i had a deal when i was a new customer, HELLO i payed 700 bucks for the system, plus a charge for install. i told them i was going to go to dish, and they said ok, they were sorry i was not happy with dtv. and i was nice to the person. so i guess they really dont care for their good coustomers.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
yea i called them direct, if you are having to sign a two year agreement, what does it matter. im not bein a smart a@# by the way.
The thing is, if you've already agreed to the 2 year commitment, DirecTV has already factored in the costs on your first 2 receivers over that time period. Honestly, if I were you, I'd buy online. You can find a ton of great deals on new and used ones. I found a HR23 not too long ago, brand new for $200. Ebay has a ton of them listed too.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
It is very common practice for suppliers to provide substantial incentives to get customers to switch from their current providers. That is considered a marketing cost, justified by the revenue that is anticipated from that customer over the course of the minimum period of time that customer is projected to remain with the service (perhaps even assured via the customer making a service commitment). Offering such incentives on a continual basis would take a profitable enterprise and turn it into something that never makes any significant amount of money, as they'd continually be incurring cost instead of earning profit. That's not a viable business model.

Customer loyalty is a very interesting topic. Most customers mistakenly think that continued patronage indicates that they are being loyal. That is not the case. Customer loyalty is indicated by the willingness of a customer to pay a premium for what is being provided. A customer who is only willing to get what they wish via an incentive discount is not loyal.

Here's a good Wall Street Journal article covering this: Why a Loyal Customer Isn’t Always a Profitable One - WSJ.com

lpenix

DTVUSA Rookie
i agree also but from the start i have paid for everything i have recieved from them, 700 to start, about 6 standard recievers over the years when they broke, paid full price for them, paid full price for my two hd recievers, and charged for instalation of them and 86 bucks to come out and fix my dish because it was not picking up one of the sats after they installed the hd systems, so am i wrong to ask for a dvr upgrade without paying, i have been with them forever, and dont plan of going anywhere, so they will get there money for the reciever. i had dish at one time also and with them i never had to pay for a reciever or if something happend to the dish they came out and fixed it for free, it would be nice if dtv would offer its coustomers a great deal once in a while.

Piggie

Super Moderator
The thing is, if you've already agreed to the 2 year commitment, DirecTV has already factored in the costs on your first 2 receivers over that time period. Honestly, if I were you, I'd buy online. You can find a ton of great deals on new and used ones. I found a HR23 not too long ago, brand new for $200. Ebay has a ton of them listed too.
Aaron, will they let you buy an HD receiver and own it without a contract?

I am in the same boat. Old old SD DirecTV customer. I paid about $400 in 1999 and never missed a payment, etc.

I understand why they want me to sign a 2 year contract, I just don't want to sign one. I would rather buy and not be in a contract, even if I have to install myself.

But they told me that customers could no longer own their own receivers unless you already own one or if you are on an old contract and only buy SD equipment used you can still own it.

I would love to hear I can buy my HD receiver/DVD and an HD dish, install it and have them activate is WITH OUT a contract.

Is that now possible? It was over a year ago when I called and who knows if the CSR I talked to had a clue.