DTV Online

Is there a way to tell what kind of resolution or video quality you get when you're watching a youtube video, Hulu, or TV Shack? I've got a HDMI cable from my computer to my TV and I'd like to know if I'm getting 1080i or just 480. Some vids on Youtube are labled specifically as High Definition, but is it downconverted by the time the signal gets to the TV?

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Is there a way to tell what kind of resolution or video quality you get when you're watching a youtube video, Hulu, or TV Shack? I've got a HDMI cable from my computer to my TV and I'd like to know if I'm getting 1080i or just 480. Some vids on Youtube are labled specifically as High Definition, but is it downconverted by the time the signal gets to the TV?
If you have a 5 Mbps broadband connection you can select HD quality and if the selected video is streamed in 1080i HD and your video card supports HD, and your connected to an HTDV, your TV will show 1080i HD quality. It's not downconverted from your PC to the TV. What ever your PC sends out is what the TV receives. If any of these are not supported, you will only see 480P.

Makes sense I think, so if I expand the video on the PC, this will cause a distortion? 1inxs, your 480p answer seems to contradict Aaron's 320x240 answer right? Sorry, just want to make sure I understand correctly. :)

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Makes sense I think, so if I expand the video on the PC, this will cause a distortion? 1inxs, your 480p answer seems to contradict Aaron's 320x240 answer right? Sorry, just want to make sure I understand correctly. :)
Maybe this will help you get the answer you want.
Hulu - Support
Some of our videos now come in a 1,000 Kbps, H.264, 480p stream. You can recognize these streams by the 480p Hi-Res button that will appear in the lower right of the player. To watch these high-resolution streams, you'll need to upgrade to Flash Player 9.0.124.0. We recommend a downstream bandwidth of 1,500Kbps for the smoothest playback experience.