Question: DTV OTA Channels in Black and White Only?

lytjan13

DTVUSA Rookie
I just bought a ota antenna for my tv with a digital tuner in it today. I've got the antenna (RCA Digital Flat Antenna) plugged with the coaxial output directly into the coax input on my tv. All the digital channels I am receiving are coming through with solid strength and little to no signal loss (pixelation or sound loss) however they are coming through in black and white only. I am receiving a few analog channels from Canada which are coming through in color but very snowy. My TVFool can be seen here and I am only concerned about the few local channels and not worried about receiving anything very far afield. I also can only have an inside style antenna as I am renting an apartment and cannot place anything outside. My main thought is that the antenna could be defective and I may need to return it to get another one, is my reasoning sound or should I consider upgrading to a better inside antenna? I have tried repositioning the antenna as well as disassembling and reassembling it with a rescan each time, with no changes. Thanks for any help that anyone can give!

Last edited:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Welcome to the forum, please check:

are sure you have the converter and tv set to the same channels (3 or 4)?

If you can go through the composite (3 rca, video, audio r/l) you'll get a better picture and sound.

n2rj

Staff member
Since your TV has a built in digital tuner (and not a converter box) there are two possible causes.

The first is that your TV may be defective. Call the manufacturer and have them repair it under warranty if possible. It sounds as if the tuner is only outputting the luminance (brightness) information and not the chrominance (color) information. The set may or may not be defective but there is a possibility that the set may be misadjusted and there may be a setting in your TV set that can fix it. You may want to try resetting to the factory default if possible. Check the owner's manual.

The other is that you might be viewing channels with black and white content only. I believe there are a couple of channels that do that. But if it happens on every channel, it's either a defective TV or a setting in the menu.

Best bet at this point is to call your TV manufacturer's technical support line.

What make and model TV is it?

lytjan13

DTVUSA Rookie
My TV is an ILO (walmart brand) (SD CRT) I purchased near 5 years ago, so there is no warranty left and when I turned it on this morning I'm getting color images. I'm going to return the antenna and get an new one because it did give me a small shock when I was hanging it on the wall, that leads me to believe there is a short in the wiring. I'm going to try a different model if I can find one that can receive vhf and uhf that I like.

n2rj

Staff member
I don't think it is the antenna. It sounds like a loose connection or cold solder on the circuit board inside the set, especially since you're getting shocked now. All the antenna does is get signal to your set, and with digital TV you either get a picture or you don't.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
so sorry, I misread the post, I was sleepy.

The shock from the antenna could be static discharge, we are entering "that time of year"

also that antenna has mixed reviews at best... RCA Digital Flat Antenna made for DTV Reviews - Walmart.com Maybe the problems people have with this antenna are due to poor assembly or quality issues. I am sure the problem is not with your antenna, but you may want to consider a different one anyway.

Last edited: