DTV Pal PLus

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
My sister went yesterday to pick up whatever came in to the shop where she was intending to buy a couple. He had been getting in shipments a couple of times a week, but this time, he got notice that the only one available was the DTV Pal DVR. I checked the website and it doesn't say 'sold out' -- or didn't when I checked it, but it sounds like that product is running out. Sears hasn't gotten any in either.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Checked some news feeds from multiple sources and haven't seen too much chatter about converter box availability. Guess we'll see as we get closer to the transition.

Piggie

Super Moderator
My sister went yesterday to pick up whatever came in to the shop where she was intending to buy a couple. He had been getting in shipments a couple of times a week, but this time, he got notice that the only one available was the DTV Pal DVR. I checked the website and it doesn't say 'sold out' -- or didn't when I checked it, but it sounds like that product is running out. Sears hasn't gotten any in either.
They are showing up on ebay, but not as often as a month ago.

I just bought one there and paid about $20 more than had I had a coupon, but the best place is probably online if you have a coupon is solid signal.

The people on ebay are not taking coupons.

Piggie

Super Moderator
KMart and Sears are owned and operated by the same company. They both sell the DTVPal Plus.
Yeah, forgot that merger thing. Good to know, lots of people are now looking for them. I just bought one and I like it better than the Insignia, but the Insignia works fine. About equal on reception. The program guide is nicer on the Pal Plus.

AND a Dish Network universal remote control from their countless models of receivers will also control the box. so you're not limited to the one which comes with the box.

The box is funny though; its OS is exactly the same as with a DishPro receiver. the error message for example:

The Program guide is currently being downloaded to your receiver, please wait or press 'stop' to cancel.

Hmm..downloaded? cool!

The Signal was temporarily lost. satellite aquisition is in progress.

lol!!!

The Dish Network logo shows on the menus and is on the remote too. wonder how many actual customers think they can get this to comply being misinformed of the transition and attempt to plug a satellite dish into it lol.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
That's because they've already have used the coupons on them. Those ARE the true abusers of this coupon program.
Yeah, it's much different than buying a Wii or other hot item and selling it on Ebay for a profit. People are literally taking money from the government and using it for personal gain. There should be a law against it.

Piggie

Super Moderator
That's because they've already have used the coupons on them. Those ARE the true abusers of this coupon program.
I figured as such. It would have been nothing to get coupons from neighbors, kids, etc, buy desirable boxes and sell them on ebay.

I used both of my coupons by buying two Insignias and giving them to relatives because they couldn't afford them. My Toshiba has an very old chip in it. It's not even HD so ugrading the TV with a box was the best thing I could do.

So I bought one I found less than I would pay at the store or solidsignal. I don't know or want to know if someone bought one too many or did it on puprose for profit. They sure didn't make much. They sold it for $10 over what it would have cost me with a coupon. They made about $5 on shipping. So that is a lot of work to scam the govt and taxpayers out of $15.

Then they may have bought a bunch whole sale and seeing them one or two at a time. I know when Windstream broke off from Alltel, suddenly there were hundreds of Windstream modems on ebay cheap. Where did they come from? Someone steal them from Windstream, like an inside job? They were all in Windstream branded boxes. More than one person was selling them. Or did they buy an over run?

ebay is just another black market in many ways. They have existed forever.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
KMart and Sears are owned and operated by the same company. They both sell the DTVPal Plus.
Out stores don't have them though. I've checked with three Sears in our area -- nothing. I'll have to check with them again next week (shipments come in here on Tuesdays). I don't believe we have a Kmart here anymore. Most of them shut down when they did the bankruptcy thing.