DTV Plagerism? CBS affiliate vs. ABC affiliate You make the call...

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Edit: Nevermind, both were written by John Materese

First from: HD 101: Why Can't You Get Ch 9 In HD? - KYPost.com

Last Update: 6/21 3:28 pm

Reported by: John Matarese

Hundreds of viewers have been contacting us to say they cannot pick up Channel 9's Digital Signal with their new Converter Box, or new HDTV, even though they always received CH 9 fine on their old analog TV's. Or they suddenly can't find us or another Digital channel they had a week ago just fine.

MOST COMMON PROBLEMS AND THE SOLUTION

Based on more than a thousand calls to our DTV Hotline since Friday morning, June 12th, when we made the switch, we are finding two things you can do that may quickly and easily solve your problems.

If your picture is breaking up into little boxes, and freezing, move the TV near a window, then put your Rabbit Ears antenna in the window, or on the window sill. Ideally, use a window that faces downtown Cincinnati, where the TV towers are located. This makes a huge difference. We are finding in many cases, it clears up the breakup problem, as walls (especially brick walls) will block DTV signals.

If you can't find a station you had been receiving on your DTV or Converter Box a few days ago, get out your Remote, enter the Menu, and "rescan" for channels. This is also known as "autoprogramming." This will find any channels that have moved, or were too weak before to pick up.

Still don't get Channel 9 well enough to watch? There are two things you need to know:

1.CH 9 is on the VHF band (Ch 2- 13). Most other Cincinnati stations are on the UHF band in Digital/HD (Ch 14 and up). This could affect your reception, as I explain below.

* 2. WCPO's Digital signal will get a major boost June 26, 2009, two and half weeks after the DTV switch. This should fix reception issues for many viewers. Read the paragraph below for more details on this significant improvement.

WHY WCPO'S SIGNAL WON'T BE FULL STRENGTH UNTIL JUNE 26, 2009
As WCPO's General Manager Bill Fee explained to the Cincinnati Enquirer Sunday, Channel 9's Digital Antenna is located approximately 100 feet below the top of its broadcast tower. The tower cannot hold the weight of both the old analog antenna and new digital antenna on its top at the same time.

Immediately after the DTV switch, WCPO engineers will begin moving the new digital antenna to the top of the tower.
On June 26 the work is scheduled to be completed. On that day, WCPO's digital signal will be much stronger than before, and may indeed be stronger than any other Cincinnati station, due to the new state of the art equipment.

WHY SOME ANTENNAS WON'T EVER RECEIVE WCPO CHANNEL 9

You may have a UHF only antenna, in which case you probably will never get Ch 9's digital signal. You need a VHF-UHF antenna.

If it says "UHF ANTENNA" on the box, return it, and explain to the store why they don’t know what they are selling (that their UHF antennas will NEVER pick up Channel 9)

Or your TV may not be Auto programming for VHF. Try manually punching in "9.1" with your Remote. This often works.

VHF does not travel through walls as well as UHF. You may want to try moving the antenna around. In a worst case scenario, you may need a roof or attic antenna (see below).

WHY IS CHANNEL 9 ON VHF?

Before you say "why would Channel 9 do such a dumb thing as to be on the VHF band?" I will answer that question:

In MOST cities, most Digital HD stations are VHF, like Ch 9. For some strange reason, most Digital Cincinnati stations, except for 9 and 12, are on UHF.

VHF --which we use -- is the national standard. If a VHF antenna and manually programming 9.1 won't work, you may need a stronger antenna.

HELPFUL ANTENNA INFO:

A rooftop or attic or outdoor antenna should receive WCPO's digital signal in all parts of the Cincinnati market. Many older homes already have one on the roof from the 1960s: see if you can find the antenna line from that in the attic, and hook it up.

If you don't have one, then you may need to purchase one if you don't want to sign up for cable or Satellite.

The WCPO Engineering Dept. says they have had the most success with the TERK HDTV antenna. There is an amplified and unamplified version. Try the unamplified, if you can find it.

AMPLIFIED ANTENNA WARNING:

Some amplified antennas (that you plug into the wall) will actually make Channel 9's signal harder to receive. They are pulling in too much interference, so you get nothing.Try using the antenna with the gain turned "down" or unplugged.

Still nothing? We don't want to lose any viewers: email or call us at 513-721-9900 and WCPO will try to help.

John Matarese
Second from: The Big Switch: Why can't you get Channel 11 In HD? - WTOL.com, Toledo's News Leader, News 11 |

Posted: June 22, 2009 10:54 AM

Updated: June 23, 2009 08:48 AM

By John Matarese

Posted by Nick Dutton - email

(WTOL) - Hundreds of viewers have been contacting us to say they cannot pick up Channel 11's Digital Signal with their new Converter Box, or new HDTV, even though they always received WTOL fine on their old analog TV's. Or they suddenly can't find us or another digital channel they had a week ago just fine.

MOST COMMON PROBLEMS AND THE SOLUTION

Based on the calls to our DTV Hotline, we are finding two things you can do that may quickly and easily solve your problems.

If your picture is breaking up into little boxes, and freezing, move the TV near a window, then put your Rabbit Ears antenna in the window, or on the window sill. Ideally, use a window that faces downtown, where the TV towers are located. This makes a huge difference. We are finding in many cases, it clears up the breakup problem, as walls (especially brick walls) will block DTV signals.

If you can't find a station you had been receiving on your DTV or Converter Box a few days ago, get out your Remote, enter the Menu, and "rescan" for channels. This is also known as "autoprogramming." This will find any channels that have moved, or were too weak before to pick up.

Still don't get Channel 11 well enough to watch?

* CH 11 is on the VHF band (Ch 2- 13). Other Toledo stations are on the UHF band in Digital/HD (Ch 14 and up). This could affect your reception.

WHY SOME ANTENNAS WON'T EVER RECEIVE WTOL CHANNEL 11

You may have a UHF only antenna, in which case you probably will never get Ch 11's digital signal. You need a VHF-UHF antenna.

If it says "UHF ANTENNA" on the box, return it, and explain to the store why they don't know what they are selling (that their UHF antennas will NEVER pick up Channel 11)

Or your TV may not be Auto programming for VHF. Try manually punching in "11.1" with your Remote. This often works.

VHF does not travel through walls as well as UHF. You may want to try moving the antenna around. In a worst case scenario, you may need a roof or attic antenna (see below).

WHY IS CHANNEL 11 ON VHF?

Before you say "why would Channel 11 do such a dumb thing as to be on the VHF band?" I will answer that question:

In MOST cities, most Digital HD stations are VHF, like Ch 11. For some strange reason, most Digital Cincinnati stations, except for 11 and 13, are on UHF.

VHF --which we use -- is the national standard. If a VHF antenna and manually programming 11.1 won't work, you may need a stronger antenna.

HELPFUL ANTENNA INFO:

A rooftop or attic or outdoor antenna should receive WTOL's digital signal in all parts of the Toledo market. Many older homes already have one on the roof from the 1960s: see if you can find the antenna line from that in the attic, and hook it up.

If you don't have one, then you may need to purchase one if you don't want to sign up for cable or Satellite.

The WTOL Engineering Dept. says they have had the most success with the TERK HDTV antenna. There is an amplified and unamplified version. Try the unamplified, if you can find it.

AMPLIFIED ANTENNA WARNING:

Some amplified antennas (that you plug into the wall) will actually make Channel 11's signal harder to receive. They are pulling in too much interference, so you get nothing. Try using the antenna with the gain turned "down" or unplugged.

Still nothing? We don't want to lose any viewers: email or call us at 419-248-1132 and WTOL will try to help.

Last edited:

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Even though the article was written by the same guy, I find it quite interesting that both articles say,

"The WCPO Engineering Dept. says they have had the most success with the TERK HDTV antenna. There is an amplified and unamplified version. Try the unamplified, if you can find it."

and

"The WTOL Engineering Dept. says they have had the most success with the TERK HDTV antenna. There is an amplified and unamplified version. Try the unamplified, if you can find it."

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Far as WCPO ch. 9 goes, yes their signal is better now. Still can't pick the station up in these parts with my set up but the converter does show a signal now.

WKRC, the other Cincinnati channel that went to vhf does come in here now. It was lost during the analog shut off but just last week I moved around my U4000 antennas and changed the uhf setting on the CM7777 preamp to 'combine' and lo and behold WKRC is coming in great again. In fact the signal is just as good now as it was on uhf, maybe a bit better.

Don't know what's still up ch. 9 not coming in since ch. 12 is only .2kw stronger.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Even though the article was written by the same guy, I find it quite interesting that both articles say,

"The WCPO Engineering Dept. says they have had the most success with the TERK HDTV antenna. There is an amplified and unamplified version. Try the unamplified, if you can find it."

and

"The WTOL Engineering Dept. says they have had the most success with the TERK HDTV antenna. There is an amplified and unamplified version. Try the unamplified, if you can find it."
Terk HDTVi un amplified

Newegg.com - TERK HDTVi Directional indoor UHF/VHF HDTV antenna

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
WHY WCPO'S SIGNAL WON'T BE FULL STRENGTH UNTIL JUNE 26, 2009

As WCPO's General Manager Bill Fee explained to the Cincinnati Enquirer Sunday, Channel 9's Digital Antenna is located approximately 100 feet below the top of its broadcast tower. The tower cannot hold the weight of both the old analog antenna and new digital antenna on its top at the same time.
Update:
WCPO channel 9 didn't "Get 'er done" by the 26th of last month so their reception continues to suck. :)

Good news is they're suppose to get the new digital antenna up and running around july 13th.

Did they say the 13th? Yikes.

Check out the link below for info and pictures of WCPO's new digital antenna.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/stor...-Antenna-Going-Up/sz6E0mBbsEOuUBJfa0fwag.cspx

God willing and the creek don't rise, I'll let y'all know what happens when it happens.

Last edited:

Piggie

Super Moderator
Impresive photos on the stations site, thanks for the link. I drool looking at nice antennas like that one (those that think antennas are ugly can leave while I am still in a good mood).

The antenna is a DIE Model THV-9A10/CP-R 3C120

Here are the engineering specifications filed with the FCC
http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/cdbs/...h.cgi?exhibit_id=648629&formid=301&q_num=5460
===========

Go to Page 18 on the below document. Note they only show the 6 and 10 db version and they bought a special order 9 db version . It is almost 60 ft long and weight almost 5 tons. Big dang thing! Wonder why they cost so much?
http://www.dielectric.com/broadcast/catalogs/TVplanner.pdf

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
I guess they decided to hire the guy as a third-party contractor. He's probably got lots of "canned responses," all typed beforehand. If they wanted a real individual variation, they'd have to pay for his time to type up a paraphrased copy. Not with this economy.

Piggie

Super Moderator
I guess they decided to hire the guy as a third-party contractor. He's probably got lots of "canned responses," all typed beforehand. If they wanted a real individual variation, they'd have to pay for his time to type up a paraphrased copy. Not with this economy.
Or if he lurked this board, AVS, Digital home and several of the other Hdtv forums, he could copy and paste that together from stuff he found.

I go back to asking the question, if there were so many examples from stations transitioning early, VHF already on the air, why did all these press releases come out after the fact, when for example the residents of Springfield MO could have told you what would happen when a station went from UHF to VHF.

This phrase comes to mine, Damage Control.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Or if he lurked this board, AVS, Digital home and several of the other Hdtv forums, he could copy and paste that together from stuff he found.

I go back to asking the question, if there were so many examples from stations transitioning early, VHF already on the air, why did all these press releases come out after the fact, when for example the residents of Springfield MO could have told you what would happen when a station went from UHF to VHF.

This phrase comes to mine, Damage Control.
I'm willing to bet that a lot of news websites have done this during the digital transition. Don't know about the rest of you, but when I've done a research for a report in school, I have to name sources.

Piggie

Super Moderator
I'm willing to bet that a lot of news websites have done this during the digital transition. Don't know about the rest of you, but when I've done a research for a report in school, I have to name sources.
Naming sources is polite at best, and not doing so is criminal at worst.

But it follows the concept of nothing is illegal until you get caught.:daffy:

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Sorry it took so long to get back but MSNTV (webtv) had a connection problem on this end which took several calls and a couple weeks to solve.

Anyway WCPO 9 is up and running in these parts now and from what I read on the Tri-State media watch site they fired up their new digital antenna on july 14 at 12:15am.

Took me more than a week longer to pick it up though. After combining my two U4000's (Thanks Piggie) into a single down lead and then running it into a combiner along with my old gold radio shack 2-bay antenna, voila, WCPO comes in!

Don't know why it would take a combination of those three antennas to pull it in here (I'd suspect a half decent VHF antenna would do the trick too) but hey it works most of the time so I'm happy with it for now.

BTW WCPO 9.2 is a weather channel so that makes three of those here. Can't have too many weather channels, huh?<---tongue in cheek.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Sorry it took so long to get back but MSNTV (webtv) had a connection problem on this end which took several calls and a couple weeks to solve.

Anyway WCPO 9 is up and running in these parts now and from what I read on the Tri-State media watch site they fired up their new digital antenna on july 14 at 12:15am.

Took me more than a week longer to pick it up though. After combining my two U4000's (Thanks Piggie) into a single down lead and then running it into a combiner along with my old gold radio shack 2-bay antenna, voila, WCPO comes in!

Don't know why it would take a combination of those three antennas to pull it in here (I'd suspect a half decent VHF antenna would do the trick too) but hey it works most of the time so I'm happy with it for now.

BTW WCPO 9.2 is a weather channel so that makes three of those here. Can't have too many weather channels, huh?<---tongue in cheek.
Sorry if I'm mistunderstanding you Tim, but did you have to comine three antennas?? Is that possible? and if so did you have to use a pre-amp for signal loss? Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you Tim, but did you have to combine three antennas?? Is that possible? and if so did you have to use a pre-amp for signal loss? Thanks for sharing.
I combined the two U4000's into a single down lead using four equal lengths of coat hanger wire attaching them to a small block of wood with two screws then connected the balun to the screws.

Then I had to run the coax from the above to a combiner/splitter so as to add the 2-bay antenna to the mix. I needed the 2-bay hooked up to get a channel in a different direction. Turns out that when I did that channel 9 started coming in too.

I'll also add that I use a CM7777 pre-amp and have never had issues with overload despite living within 7 miles of the Dayton transmitters.
That dude's da bomb. :)