DTV sats & channels ?????

Browneye

DTVUSA Rookie
Greetings,

I am a DTV subscriber and have an old DRD420RE set up at my vacation cabin.
Antenna has only one LNB pointed at 101, I believe for SD TV only.

Recently upgraded my sub, but I am not getting HBO/SHO at the cabin.

Are these on another satellite and at what locations and should I upgrade to just a new receiver or do I now need a new antenna with 3 LNBs?

(Cabin is remote and I would have to install myself)

:violin:

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Greetings,

I am a DTV subscriber and have an old DRD420RE set up at my vacation cabin.
Antenna has only one LNB pointed at 101, I believe for SD TV only.

Recently upgraded my sub, but I am not getting HBO/SHO at the cabin.

Are these on another satellite and at what locations and should I upgrade to just a new receiver or do I now need a new antenna with 3 LNBs?

(Cabin is remote and I would have to install myself)

:violin:
Browneye, Welcome to the DTVUSA Forum. The single LNB dish is outdated by quite some time now. I would think you definitely need to upgrade to the 3 LNB dish to be able to receive the programming you subscribe to. I would contact the satellite program provider. They should install the upgraded dish at no charge. They will do this if you are a long time subscriber. Here is what I found in the 101 degree slot.
AMC 2/4 & DirecTV 4S/8 at 101.0°W - LyngSat
I don't see HBO in the list.

Browneye

DTVUSA Rookie
Thanks,
That's what I was thinking.
May as well leave it as SD and on 101 and enjoy all the other programming that I can get with the present setup, till it dies.
Forgot about Lyngsat, thanks for the link. I'll check it out and see what the other DTV sat locations are.

Going fishing........

Last edited:
Hmmm. i didn't even know you could still use DirecTV with only one LNB. all the new systems here have not only the three-LNB dish, but two other Single-LNB jobs all on one tree that point to a total of 6 satellites. to get SD-only programming. here the DirecTV installer will say you won't get anything any longer with an old system with a single-dish. (and i tried and all i could get was a program guide, apparently all that satellite had was the program guide but no way to view TV; required two satellites. one for the Program Guide, one for actual watching. and the receiver didn't work without both, odd?)

That's why i always thought Dish Network had something. they had only one dish needed which housed a max of 3 LNBs and that was it. not three-dish ugliness. i never quite understood how DirecTV requires 6 LNBs to do the job of Dish's 2-3.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Hmmm. i didn't even know you could still use DirecTV with only one LNB. all the new systems here have not only the three-LNB dish, but two other Single-LNB jobs all on one tree that point to a total of 6 satellites. to get SD-only programming. here the DirecTV installer will say you won't get anything any longer with an old system with a single-dish. (and i tried and all i could get was a program guide, apparently all that satellite had was the program guide but no way to view TV; required two satellites. one for the Program Guide, one for actual watching. and the receiver didn't work without both, odd?)

That's why i always thought Dish Network had something. they had only one dish needed which housed a max of 3 LNBs and that was it. not three-dish ugliness. i never quite understood how DirecTV requires 6 LNBs to do the job of Dish's 2-3.
Dish Network leases bandwidth on satellites that differ from the satellites that DirecTV has leases for.