DTV Scam Watch

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
How about an official DTV Scam thread? :becky: We could post updates (with links to news stories and info) here?

I browsed a few story's today about the digital transition and found one where an Ohio State Attorney General warned about a couple of different scam scenarios.

• One involving a company selling unmarked analog TV sets (that are not able to receive dtv signals after the transition)
  • another scam occurs where a company or individual agrees to install a converter box for a fee but then possibly charges more when they arrive.

More about the Ohio scam story here.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Great idea. I'll post a couple of links to previous threads and posts on here and sticky this one.

• dtv.com is not the correct webpage for ordering DTV Coupons, the correct address is dtv2009.gov
False Scam Alert - A video posted on YouTube some time back reported "some" converter boxes were built with hidden spy camera's which would allow the government to watch what you're doing. The video was a hoax produced by a 28-year-old software engineer named Adam Chronister.

Aries

DTVUSA Member
Another scam to watch for is being sold a converter for a TV that can already handle digital channels. Also, if you get cable, or watch TV through a means other than an aerial, you do not, and I mean do not need a converter.

Piggie

Super Moderator
False Scam Alert - A video posted on YouTube some time back reported "some" converter boxes were built with hidden spy camera's which would allow the government to watch what you're doing. The video was a hoax produced by a 28-year-old software engineer named Adam Chronister.
You would not believe how many people believed this and emailed me or asked me in non technical forums if it was true.

neil2

DTVUSA Rookie
Media Disinformation

Media has chosen to ignore the conversion except to sell monthly service (Cable/Sat). The coupons are worthless. If you want to use the coupon the price for converter boxes starts at $60 The identical converter is $20 for cash. Witness the ebay market.

Anything to get people to pay monthly for TV reception. No information outlet has the guts to examine that issue. The commercials for pay TV service were repetitious and never ending.

George W. Bush deregulated the broadcast industry. A single company can now control all the broadcasting in a given region. The intentional dis-information and lack of coverage on transparent scams (dtv coupons) hurts us in ways that cannot be underestimated. [/FONT][/SIZE]