DTV shows forgotten classics to an extent

We just got this channel called 'RTN Retro TV Network' and 'ThisTV' which plays movies, but if you wake up early in the morning like i did there on ThisTV was good ol'e Mister Ed. man i haven't seen that classic since it was in reruns on Nickelodeon's Nick @ Nite programming way back in the 1980s.

Got me to wonder something. why aren't great shows like that one, or something like 'Patty Duke' or 'Lassie' even in reruns any longer? if i didn't catch 'Ed yesterday i would've forgotten him as well. what gives? you see Lucy, Leave it to Beaver, Black Sheep Squadron, M*A*S*H and countless other classics, but you NEVER see Mister Ed, Patty Duke, Lassie, Dobie Gillis, or more great TV shows on in any form or way. no DVDs even. what is it?

I may be only 30, but i always loved good old B&W TV shows. that's proof that any generation can love them. but some old B&W and color TV shows from that time frame are now gone for good. with the exception of Mister Ed for now at least. wonder how long it'll last?

Other shows that have been dropped(and not reran any longer):

1. The Dick Van Dyke Show
2. McHale's Navy
3. Newhart
4. F-Troop
5. Dennis the Menace (the 1960s B&W original, not the cartoon)

6. The Munsters (last seen on N@N in the 1990s)
7. Bewitched (B&W and color gone too

Just doesn't make sense why you never see them any more.

Last edited:

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
We just got this channel called 'RTN Retro TV Network' and 'ThisTV' which plays movies, but if you wake up early in the morning like i did there on ThisTV was good ol'e Mister Ed. man i haven't seen that classic since it was in reruns on Nickelodeon's Nick @ Nite programming way back in the 1980s.
Get up a little earlier (4:00am) and ThisTV has the original Outer Limits too plus The Patty Duke show. They recently added an hour of Bat Masterson at 10:00am and that's a pretty good western.

Your lucky to have both Retro and ThisTV. That there's some good free tv!

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Got me to wonder something. why aren't great shows like that one, or something like 'Patty Duke' or 'Lassie' even in reruns any longer?
Well, I think I'm perhaps a good indicator of the reason. If I've seen it before, I have no interest in seeing it again, even for series from this year, so go back twenty or forty years, and I have less-than-zero interest in watching. (Yes, less-than-zero: Sitting through a television program older then my nieces and nephews would be tantamount to torture. :)) While there are folks like you, out there, there are also folks like me, out there, and in the end, what you see offered is a reflection of how many of each of us there are, and how much each of us are "worth" to the folks who pay the bills for getting the programming presented.

I suspect that the shows that you do see have more of a modern sensibility, and therefore hold attraction for more folks than the programs that you don't see.

I really never could get into reality TV or those stupid shows with language and sex in every line. with the exception of Two and a Half Men, and even then i have to hold back the disgust at every sex joke.

The older shows were great, entertaining (isn't that the point of TV? to entertain, get away from reality? to divert from life's crap and watch something that makes life more fun?) and clean. no vulgar words, no v-chip required, and there's a lot more people that you'd want to admit that would love to see at least a DVD release. BTW these shows STARTED TV, and sadly what's on today or at least the great majority of today's shows, about 90% reality scripted crap, is going to END TV.

That's the fact and sad one at that. Hollywood has run out of ideas for new shows worth a crap so they succumb to reality shows, basically doing 'roving camera' and to me the only 'reality' show is the News or weather. at least that's 100% live and real not scripted junk. i mean Survivor and Idol is done to death. time for a new one.

I really never could get into reality TV or those stupid shows with language and sex in every line. with the exception of Two and a Half Men, and even then i have to hold back the disgust at every sex joke.

The older shows were great, entertaining (isn't that the point of TV? to entertain, get away from reality? to divert from life's crap and watch something that makes life more fun?) and clean. no vulgar words, no v-chip required, and there's a lot more people that you'd want to admit that would love to see at least a DVD release. BTW these shows STARTED TV, and sadly what's on today or at least the great majority of today's shows, about 90% reality scripted crap, is going to END TV.

That's the fact and sad one at that. Hollywood has run out of ideas for new shows worth a crap so they succumb to reality shows, basically doing 'roving camera' and to me the only 'reality' show is the News or weather. at least that's 100% live and real not scripted junk. i mean Survivor and Idol is done to death. time for a new one.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
You may find older shows entertaining and newer shows not entertaining, but if that was a very common perspective you'd see a radically different profile of shows actually presented. If there were enough people to make a DVD release sufficiently profitable, then you probably would see such a release; in cases where there is no DVD release, or other means by which the content is made available for viewing, then you can logically conclude that interest in that show is pretty limited.

You must be using the word "fact" in a manner inconsistent with how it has ever been used before. :) While not "fact", I do recognize your negative feelings toward new shows, though. And I do sympathize with folks who don't find entertaining what most of the rest of us find entertaining. It has to be disappointing and frustrating. Indeed, my wife and I somewhat consciously work to expand our perspective, so that we can remain interested and entertained by what is most relevant in our society. The result is, overall, far higher satisfaction with the choices available than if we indulged only niche interests.

Last edited:
RTN show Mchales Navy at 12:00 Noon, and I guess is you sit in front of reality shows long enough then you become numb to the dribble coming out of their mouths TV LAnd has been ruined by this junk, my dog wont even watch it anymore.

Retro plays more classics than TV Land, and it shows some great B&W shows, but they leave out a lot of shows to include 1980s-1990s shows. i do like Knight Rider, Magnum P.I., and Dragnet, and they do show Leave it to Beaver, Black Sheep, and McHale's navy, but that's the limit on the classics. they still leave out Lassie, Dennis (those two haven't aired in ages, had to use *ick* Youtube to view Dennis The Menace) and many other great shows in favor of more recent TV.

Now don't get me wrong, i can watch new shows, i like Two and a Half Men, Everybody Loves Raymond, and my 1990s playlist includes Frasier and many others, but you cannot get me to watch 'reality' TV. it would've been neat if it was a one time or two thing, but now it's become played to death.

The only thing close to a 'reality' show i watch is 'Total Drama Island' on Cartoon Network (at mom's). that only because it plays fun on how stupid reality TV really is.

Reality Television has existed for ages. there's tone of real tv shows. 14 News, CBS News, News Hour with Jim Leher. of course you got entertaining reality TV with cash prizes, too. try Wheel of Fortune. or Price is Right. those are all entertaining reality shows. they have real people, winning real money, in real contests. no stupid themes like today's reality shows, which are hardly real.

The problem i have isn't with the shows themselves, but the fact they pollute so-called 'classic TV' networks. Classic to me means old shows from the 1950s-on. but reality TV is on EVERY CHANNEL!!! i have no problem with those who enjoy them, but keep them on their own channel. Classic TV is NOT 1990s TV and up.

Last edited:
btw while i adore RTN the only catch is it's only watchable in perfectly sunny, calm weather. and high winds in excess of 50mph + trees is a no no and sadly is our winter, too. about one or two days i get lucky to see The Beaver or 1/2 of a Knight Rider and possibly black sheep or magnum. but that's it. :(

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
You may find older shows entertaining and newer shows not entertaining, but if that was a very common perspective you'd see a radically different profile of shows actually presented. If there were enough people to make a DVD release sufficiently profitable, then you probably would see such a release; in cases where there is no DVD release, or other means by which the content is made available for viewing, then you can logically conclude that interest in that show is pretty limited.
When newer tv shows go into syndication they'll get first dibs on getting picked up by the stations over an older series. That's pretty much a standard formula for television and it's always been that way.

While re-running the more recent tv series will in most cases draw the biggest audience, I do believe a lot of the shows from the late 50's thru the 90's would do well in the ratings if given the chance. Most every tv series that was any kind of a hit in it's day is out on dvd now so that shows there is an audience for such entertainment. If the old tv series were'nt selling, they wouldn't keep releasing them.
Thars gold in them there hills.

Tried looking up ratings for Retro and This without much luck but I find this link which says the ThisTV Network is going over pretty well.

Interesting read...

http://www.tvweek.com/news/2008/11/viewers_discovering_this_tv.php

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Standard formula because more folks will watch -- the advertising dollars are simply that much more attractive. I respect your wishful thinking though. :)

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Thinking more about this reminds me that The Andy Griffith Show and I love Lucy can still be found in most television markets today. Those are money makers for the tv stations as are infomercials.

Would anyone argue that infomercials are more popular than classic tv series since there are more infomercials on ota tv than there are classic tv series?

Which subchannel would draw the most viewers? The Infomercial network or the Retro television Network?

Yea it's all about money but with the option of digital subchannels, it would be foolish not to use that space for the niche markets.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Which parts of my post do you believe to be "wishful thinking?"
This part:
... I do believe a lot of the shows from the late 50's ... would do well in the ratings if given the chance.
Of course, the more recent reruns would have a greater chance of getting decent ratings, while the older reruns would have the least chance, IMHO.

Would anyone argue that infomercials are more popular than classic tv series since there are more infomercials on ota tv than there are classic tv series?
They have different revenue models, of course, but for when stations show infomercials there is nothing (except wishful thinking) to indicate that the stations would make more money paying for the rights to and broadcasting old television series. The difference is that, unless cut to shreds, old television series offer the opportunity to sell 7 or 8 minutes of commercials per half-hour, while infomercials effectively offer the opportunity to sell 29 minutes of commercials per half-hour.

It is all about the money.

And i cannot STAND infomercials. they're starting to pollute PBS now, the only 'commercial free' channel now has info-ads about every 10 minutes asking for money like a telethon.

any time i see or hear 'this is a paid program...' i immediately reach for the remote in a panic and either turn the box off or change the channel to something watchable. if it weren't bad enough to hear Smilin' Bob's enhancement every break, how about a half hour of that drivel!

Why not use infomercials to educate, instead of attract those in need of mental help or those who have no sense of what a scam is? (yes, i mean you Mr. easy money in a week!)

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Answer:
Money.​

I think as soon as any of us stop worrying about having enough money to live in a comfortable home, eat reasonably nutritious and tasty food, wear something better than rags, etc., then we can probably start pointing fingers at how others do things for money that we don't like. :)

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Of course, the more recent reruns would have a greater chance of getting decent ratings, while the older reruns would have the least chance, IMHO.
I already said that.

They have different revenue models, of course, but for when stations show infomercials there is nothing (except wishful thinking) to indicate that the stations would make more money paying for the rights to and broadcasting old television series.
Eh, the tv stations don't have to pay for the rights to broadcast "old television series" from subchannel networks like ThisTV and RTN.

This and Retro pays for the rights to broadcast classic tv series. The local affiliates will no longer have to pay a dime to air those programs. They only have to share the advertising revenue with the subchannel networks. It's a win-win situation for local stations around the country.

It is all about the money.
Same with pay tv, aka cable, etc, which is why they offer such diverse programming instead of the same old-same old that has all but killed ota television over the last 25 years.

It's all about diversity.

You don't seem to understand that concept yet, but someday you will.

Last edited:

Byte24

DTVUSA Member
I already said that.

Eh, the tv stations don't have to pay for the rights to broadcast "old television series" from subchannel networks like ThisTV and RTN.

This and Retro pays for the rights to broadcast classic tv series. The local affiliates will no longer have to pay a dime to air those programs. They only have to share the advertising revenue with the subchannel networks. It's a win-win situation for local stations around the country.

Same with pay tv, aka cable, etc, which is why they offer such diverse programming instead of the same old-same old that has all but killed ota television over the last 25 years.

It's all about diversity.

You don't seem to understand that concept yet, but someday you will.
Not so sure about diversity...but hear me out.

I'm sure 50's shows would do well within a certain demographic, but there's no way that they would survive late at night, prime time, or even mid afternoon. Don't get me wrong, when I'm in the mood for some Gilligan's Island, etc. it's a nice change up, but Reality TV is here to stay for sure. Just last night I was flipping through, and found that atleast 70% of the programming on was Reality TV. It's real TV (though I guess you can call it as real as possible even though most of the participants on the show know they're being filmed).

I wasn't alive when the outer limits first came out, but it's a great show compared to the more mainstream classic sci-fi shows like twilight zone.

It's one of the only channels I get and thank god lol.