dtv signal problems in chicago

help... i live in chicago near the lakefront and have a kitchen tv with an indoor antenna and a zenith dtv box....

i receive 99 percent of the chicago tv stations and 5 indiana tv stations but can not get channel 7 ( abc) and substations or wciu tv( independant) and there 5 substations...

we have been told that there are issues with channel 7 by the tv station itself, however with channel 26 i am told all is well and it must be my box and it is defective... but it can not be as i get the other 36 stations without a problem...

i have been told that there might be an issue with channel 26 getting into high rises and such and this problem was not figured out before the switch and they are going to " upgrade or tweek" there signal sometime this summer to fix this...

they also tell me i need an better antenna but how am i able to get every other station in chicago with my current antenna, it must be them...

please help.....

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
Where, specifically, are you? Are the Indiana stations you receive from South Bend? There's a station on the same channel as WCIU in South Bend. WCWW-LD.

- Trip

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
help... i live in chicago near the lakefront and have a kitchen tv with an indoor antenna and a zenith dtv box....

i receive 99 percent of the chicago tv stations and 5 indiana tv stations but can not get channel 7 ( abc) and substations or wciu tv( independant) and there 5 substations...

we have been told that there are issues with channel 7 by the tv station itself, however with channel 26 i am told all is well and it must be my box and it is defective... but it can not be as i get the other 36 stations without a problem...

i have been told that there might be an issue with channel 26 getting into high rises and such and this problem was not figured out before the switch and they are going to " upgrade or tweek" there signal sometime this summer to fix this...

they also tell me i need an better antenna but how am i able to get every other station in chicago with my current antenna, it must be them...

please help.....
mookiemookie, Welcome to the DTVUSA Forum. Have you tried to rescan for available channels since June 12, 2009? If you haven't try that first. The stations have been doing some adjusting since that date. If that doesn't help, post back and we will try to find a solution.
Thanks

Last edited:
i live in chicago, near the lake front, and yes i have rescanned twice... i do live in a high rise

all of the indiana stations i get are from southbend, channels 16,22,28,56 and 40

here is a even stanger fact... this tv is in my kitchen and if i open the kitchen cabinet above the tv and converter box... presto channels 26 and its substations appear, but if i close the cabinet they disappear

my view faces east..

wciu tv 26 comes in on digital channel 27.5( though the display says 26.1, etc)

please help!!1

thanks for your immediate responses

O-O

DTVUSA Member
I'm going to recommend going to TV Fool, entering your address information, and posting your results here. Your address won't be displayed, but it'll help us help you.

Piggie

Super Moderator
i live in chicago, near the lake front, and yes i have rescanned twice... i do live in a high rise

all of the indiana stations i get are from southbend, channels 16,22,28,56 and 40

here is a even stanger fact... this tv is in my kitchen and if i open the kitchen cabinet above the tv and converter box... presto channels 26 and its substations appear, but if i close the cabinet they disappear

my view faces east..

wciu tv 26 comes in on digital channel 27.5( though the display says 26.1, etc)

please help!!1

thanks for your immediate responses
Signals do odd things indoors, which probably explains the cabinet door.

I didn't see what type of indoor antenna you are using.

ABC on Channel 7 is VHF and that might be an issue receiving it if your antenna is UHF only.

Probably the best thing to try for wciu is to move the antenna to a new location. Even though you are high in the air and close to the transmitters, the tall buildings around you cause reflections and create a situation called mulipath where the direct wave and a reflected wave interfere with each other destructively.

another possibility is your antenna is powered then it's overloaded.

Trip

Staff member
As I've already said, the reason you cannot receive WCIU is that it is on the same channel as a station from South Bend, so the two clash with each other. You need to make the South Bend stations weaker in order to bring in WCIU.

- Trip

Piggie

Super Moderator
As I've already said, the reason you cannot receive WCIU is that it is on the same channel as a station from South Bend, so the two clash with each other. You need to make the South Bend stations weaker in order to bring in WCIU.

- Trip
The only way to try and make it weaker, is to find out which type of indoor antenna you have. Once that is known what you might try to accomplish that can be considered.

Piggie

Super Moderator
if you have overload you can try putting the antenna in the corner behind your tv or under your bed so that the signals get weaker
Trip is pretty sure the problem is two stations on the same channel and being in a high rise is bringing in Southbend and Chicago at the samw time.

dtv issues in chicago

thanks for all of the good info... i am using the indoor antenna that came with the tv many years ago... it is a vhf /uhf antenna from the analog era in the 90's when i purchased the tv... not an hdtv or amplified antenna...

i do not know how to make the southbend signal weaker, should i delete it from the box therefore allowing the chicago station to come thru??? is this the problem???

wciu starts there signal on 27.5 and higher, the indiana station starts on 27.1... so should i eliminate the station 28( 27.1)

by the way the owners of wciu own an abc station in indiana that beams its signal from the sears tower.. i get that channel without an issue... should i elimate that channel as well

please help me some more...

thanks

mookie

Piggie

Super Moderator
Ok I am guessing you have rabbit ears and a loop.

What would help is if you could have some direction on UHF it might help. It's not a guarantee as nothing in antennas is that way.

This is the antenna I would try.

TERK HDTVi Directional indoor UHF/VHF HDTV antenna

It has a big cousin called the Terk HDTVa. "a" is for amplified. DO NOT BUY the AMPLIFIED version, no no no... You are too close to the towers.

Then once you have that antenna set up you will have to try pointing the end (like an arrow the small part is the front and the base with the bunny ears is the back) at the Chicago towers about due south from you. Then rescan. If that doesn't work turn the antenna a little and rescan again.

But with the Terk HDTVi you have a much better chance of "nulling out" the weaker out of town station.

And of course if you can get WCIU then extend the rabbit ears (if needed) to pick up the VHF stations.

Trip

Staff member
wciu starts there signal on 27.5 and higher, the indiana station starts on 27.1... so should i eliminate the station 28( 27.1)
WSJV-DT 28-1 is on channel 28. WCWW-LD 25-1 is on channel 27 and is the problem station.

by the way the owners of wciu own an abc station in indiana that beams its signal from the sears tower.. i get that channel without an issue... should i elimate that channel as well
That's WBND-LD 49 (57-1) and does not come from the Sears Tower, it comes from the same location in South Bend as all the other stations.

- Trip

piggie:

no that is not the antenna i have... the rabbit ears i have came with the tv and is just the two rabbit ears, which work for vhf/uhf both...

the owner of channel 57...WBND-LD 49 (57-1) told me that they beam there signal from the sears tower...

also i had received this response from wciu back in march....

We are aware and are actively working to resolve this issue. This affects certain Samsung, Magnavox and LG/Zenith television sets and converter boxes.

also they are suppose to be spending money to "upgrade" or " tweek" there antenna this summer for high rises... which tells me that they have some kind of problem that they do not wan to admit to...

please let me know if there is anything else i can do....

thanks

mookie

i do not think that they fixed this problem... we also have dtv at my office with a brand new digital tv that has the digital tuner inside and an amplified antenna and we have the same problem....

piggie:

no that is not the antenna i have... the rabbit ears i have came with the tv and is just the two rabbit ears, which work for vhf/uhf both...

the owner of channel 57...WBND-LD 49 (57-1) told me that they beam there signal from the sears tower...

We are aware and are actively working to resolve this issue. This affects certain Samsung, Magnavox and LG/Zenith television sets and converter boxes.

also they are suppose to be spending money to "upgrade" or " tweek" there antenna this summer for high rises... which tells me that they have some kind of problem that they do not wan to admit to...

please let me know if there is anything else i can do....

thanks

mookie

i do not think that they fixed this problem... we also have dtv at my office with a brand new digital tv that has the digital tuner inside and an amplified antenna and we have the same problem....
From what you've described, your antenna is just an UHF bunny ears. If it had the loop like the one in Piggie's picture, that would make it a UHF/VHF.

Sounds like WCIU is still working the bugs out for now, but you're probably going to need a better antenna with both UHF/VHF elements on it. A lot of people like the TERK HDTVi, and I've seen a lot of blog posts on news websites recommending it too, but I don't own it. We always like to suggest buying antennas from a store with a good return policy just in case they don't work.

Piggie

Super Moderator
From what you've described, your antenna is just an UHF bunny ears. If it had the loop like the one in Piggie's picture, that would make it a UHF/VHF
Backwards.

Rabbit or Bunny ears --> VHF

Loop ---> UHF

Since he has only rabbit ears he is lacking UHF antenna. But he is so close that is not the problem.

That said, for those like the OP that have a ton of signal but yet need to null out interference or mulitpath the Terk HDTVi is the best antenna and not very expensive.

Piggie

Super Moderator

If this is still an issue, then it's not antenna related. But decoding problems.

dtv issues in chicago

piggie:

thanks for all of your insight... the antenna which came with the tv is vhf/uhf... in the analog time no problem and no issues with other uhf stations, just the "26's" which are on frequency 27

the station tells me it is the box but i do not believe so or i would not be getting any station including ones from indiana

i would also think this is why they are having issues with there antenna at the tv station and why they are" upgrading" or " tweeking" the antenna sometime this summer... i saw this on the fcc website and the station confirms this... but if this is the case what are they doing just setting it up for high rises...what could they be doing to there antenna...
also if i open the kitchen cabinet above i get the signal... which also does not make sense...

what is the difference between a amplified antenna and a non amplified antenna...

if i find the info on the fcc website i will add it to this blog so you can see...

finally how do i fix this: "decoding problems", piggie... is this something i can do or not and it is only with there station...

please let me know... you guys and gals are terriffic...

thanks for all of your great info....

mookie

construction permit for wciu

here is the constuction permit number for wciu... not sure how to find out what it is for... can you help me out where to look:

IL BMPCDT-20090105ACO WCIU-DT 71428 WCIU-TV LIMITED PARTNERSHIP Modification of construction
E CHAN-27 CHICAGO, IL permit file number
BPCDT-20080619ACH.

thanks

mookie