DTV test

This morning there was test for your TVs and the dtv signal. I have cable boxes on all of my tvs and 1 HDTV.
The HDTV worked fine and got a pass signal but all of the analog tv's with cable boxes got a clear signal with fail sign on it.
I thought if you had a cable box you would pass on an analog tv.
Two of the boxes are HDTV with DVR and 1 is a basic cable tv top of set box.

I have comcast cable in the Houston area.

Anyone know why the fail signal would have come through on the tvs with boxes? This is contrary to what all of the sites are saying.

The TVs that failed are about 7 and 12 years old.

Thanks

This morning there was test for your TVs and the dtv signal. I have cable boxes on all of my tvs and 1 HDTV.
The HDTV worked fine and got a pass signal but all of the analog tv's with cable boxes got a clear signal with fail sign on it.
I thought if you had a cable box you would pass on an analog tv.
Two of the boxes are HDTV with DVR and 1 is a basic cable tv top of set box.

I have comcast cable in the Houston area.

Anyone know why the fail signal would have come through on the tvs with boxes? This is contrary to what all of the sites are saying.

The TVs that failed are about 7 and 12 years old.

Thanks
That is so odd, you should have been fine. In fact, even if you had basic cable, your TVs should still work after the February 17th, 2009 digital transition date. :eek:

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
It looks like there was a Comcast Engineering problem,
All along we have been saying cable and satellite customers don't need to do anything to receive digital signals and they should not have seen the fail message, but apparently technical problems caused the fail message to appear on channels 2, 8, and 39. Even those who should not have seen it got the fail message.
Source: http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/consumer&id=6549424

Last edited:

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
It wasn't limited to just Houston, Boston Comcast subscribers experienced problems too: http://universalhub.com/node/22037

If you have an analog TV and analog Comcast cable service without a converter box, and you turn on WGBH-TV-2 right now, you're going to see something very wrong: video of normal WGBH programming, accompanied by audio of WGBH's continuously-looping Ready for Digital TV special.
Talk about a mess.....lets add more confusion to the digital transition...