Dtv???

christyanne

DTVUSA Member
OK seriously, i mean what is up with this converter box thing. I keep hearing about it but, i have no idea what it is or if i even need it:confused: how do i know if i need it or not. Sometimes I wish i knew more about electronics. Any help would be nice.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Christy, and welcome aboard...
Depending on the make and model of your television set, you may need a digital converter box if you're TV is not equipped with a digital tuner.

If your TV isn't equipped with a digital tuner, a digital converter box would be needed to help convert your analog television set to receive digital television broadcasts.

Why? (In a brief explanation) The U.S. government has mandated that all over-the-air television stations broadcast only digital signals after February 17th, 2008. This may cause you to not receive any television broadcasts after this date if you do not have a TV with a digital tuner.

You can read more information about what a converter box is at the following resources: The Digital TV Transition: FAQs - Consumer Corner or Will my Analog TV become obsolete after February 17, 2009? | TVConversionhelp.com

Anyway, there are a few things we need to know about your TV setup:

1. Do you have cable or satellite service?

2. When did you buy your TV and what make and model # is it (You may have to look on the back of the television set)

3. Do you use an antenna with your TV (ie: rabbit ears, or a powered antenna)

Attachments

bugz71

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I am very surprised that it took this long to become active on the subject. I think they have been advertising since February and so it surprises me that one would wait so long to question it. Although I do think that there are more people out there that are not taking this too seriously.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I am very surprised that it took this long to become active on the subject. I think they have been advertising since February and so it surprises me that one would wait so long to question it. Although I do think that there are more people out there that are not taking this too seriously.
:D I wonder what the percentage of people are who are waiting to the last minute to order coupons and convert their televisions. I bet it's high, just watch.