DTVPal - Has anyone bought this CECB yet?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
The more I read the specs on this unit, the more I like it. It's supposed to retail for $40, and has a 8 event timer to automatically change channels if you're recording with your VCR.

I already have a digital tv in one room that has a built in DTV tuner and my one complaint about it is that it will only display the current channels line up of shows for the next 4 hours. The DTVPal is supposed to come with a 7 day program guide???

Has anyone purchased this unit yet?

bugz71

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Question, is this converter box for those people who use direct tv receivers? I am not sure but have heard from other Direct TV users that I will need one anyway.

Sparks

DTVUSA Member
I also like the specs on the Dish DTV box. I noticed that they have them with three levels of tuners. How well they will pull in the signal is the difference.

I would think that anyone would want the better one of the choices, even if it does cost a little more money. With a choice, why buy somthing that is designed to not work as well as it could?

I tried to buy one from them and they said that I cannot since I no longer subscribe to their service. I did a Google search that indicated that Sears and some other places now carries it is stock. It did not say which of the 3 models.

DTVPalPlus $69.99
DTVPal $59.99
TR-40CRA $40.00

Sparks

DTVUSA Member
Bugz,

If I understand your question correctly….

The converter box or any DTV converter box should work next to the DirecTV, Dish Network or any other satellite box. This is to give you a digital tuner for local off air channels. It would not connect too or have anything to do with the satellite box. Other than it would probably be installed on the same antenna wire some where after the satellite box.

I can see how this could confuse some when the satellite and cable companies say that they can take care of it all for you when it comes to the digital transition. I think in most if not all cases they are talking about charging you for the local stations off of their satellite or service. These same local stations are the same ones that are free off of the antenna. Most likely you will have more locals available off of an antenna than will be available off of a satellite service.

I know that in certain parts of the country where you have local stations available. For what ever reason the satellite companies cannot rebroadcast those local stations. That is why the satellite providers also offer little antennas to mount on the dish as well as the converter boxes.

Last edited:
HD RECEIVER FEATURES

* Delivers standard-definition (SD) & high-definition (HD) programming
* Provides access to all DISH Network SD & HD channels
* Includes Enhanced HD Adaptor for current & future DISH HD programming
* Includes 8VSB Tuner Module:
o Receive off-air analog and digital broadcasts (requires off-air antenna)
o Provides seamless channel selection between off-air analog/off-air broadcasts and DISH Network standard and high definition satellite TV programming
they have integrated a digital tuner into their higher end HD recievers/dvr wnd I read in NOvember they will release a DTVPALPlus/dvr combo as well:)

this was given by someone on another board on which I post

Echostar/Dish Network is coming out with a 2 OTA ATSC HD/SD tuner DVR in November, so they told me in an email yesterday. It is called the DTV Pal DVR and does not require any subscription. It will have a channel guide similar to what Dish Network uses but again there is no service or subscription required. The price, as quoted to me will be $299.

"Hello,

Just recently announced, the TR50 will be sold as the DTVPal DVR, and
will be available around Thanksgiving for a price of $299. It will be
available online through DISH Network at DTVPAL.COM. At this time we
do not have any information on whether the product will be available
through retail outlets. Please check the website as we get closer to the
product launch date. The DTVPal DVR is a stand-alone OTA HD DVR Receiver
with no subscription fees and no association or account with DISH
Network required. Hope this helps!

Thank you for contacting EchoStar.

Regards,

EchoStar Sales Team"

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
this was given by someone on another board on which I post

Echostar/Dish Network is coming out with a 2 OTA ATSC HD/SD tuner DVR in November, so they told me in an email yesterday. It is called the DTV Pal DVR and does not require any subscription. It will have a channel guide similar to what Dish Network uses but again there is no service or subscription required. The price, as quoted to me will be $299.

"Hello,

Just recently announced, the TR50 will be sold as the DTVPal DVR, and
will be available around Thanksgiving for a price of $299. It will be
available online through DISH Network at DTVPAL.COM. At this time we
do not have any information on whether the product will be available
through retail outlets. Please check the website as we get closer to the
product launch date. The DTVPal DVR is a stand-alone OTA HD DVR Receiver
with no subscription fees and no association or account with DISH
Network required. Hope this helps!

Thank you for contacting EchoStar.

Regards,

EchoStar Sales Team"
Standalone DVR and converter box? Sounds great! $299...Not so great. ;) Who knows, it may hit a niche market, but the price seems high.