Review: DTVUSA at The Movies

SWHouston

Staff member
On at least two other occasions, the topic of Movies has come up in non-related posts. I really enjoy seeing the Big Screen and MTV's and am specially interested in the SciFi genre.

I think many of us would like the opportunity to comment on a Movie or Series which we enjoy/or not, which can include TV Series as well.

So, what's your favorite Movie, your likes/dislikes, anything you'd like to say !

Have a good Day ! :)
S.W.

SWHouston

Staff member
EV,

I GOT IT !

It was a great movie, I really was "taken" with Sean Young who played the part of Rachael. UOO a very cute lady !!! :cheer2:

Actually, few noticed that Ed Olmos played a nice roll in it, he was the character Gaff. I bet I've watched it at least ten times since it came out !

I do that a lot. Have a fair stock of VHS and DVD's, and when TV is slow, I'll pull one of the old goodies out, and give it a watch again (and again)(and again) :D

S.W.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
I saw Blade Runner not long ago because my dad insisted I see it and I didn't like it that much. (My dad said this version didn't have the same ending as the last time he saw it, and that it wasn't nearly as good because of it.)

Even though I'm very much a fan of science fiction, my favorite movie ever has to be The Great Escape. I love that movie. Based on a true story, has Steve McQueen, lots of action, WWII, etc. It's just so well done.

I also really enjoy Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Monty Python, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, and My Fellow Americans.

- Trip

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
The great thing about good Sci Fi is that most of the time its more than just drama or opera. It explores ideas. And while hard science fiction is very interesting, the best Sci Fi explores humanity. In this, Blade Runner is par excellence, it explores the very nature of what it means to be human. Roy Batty, the Replicant confronts his Creator...absolutely brilliant! Struggling against inevitable death.

ROY BATTY: "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain. Time to die. "

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAJGM8c6Wg4[/YOUTUBE]

In the end, he didnt kill Deckard, but rather took the time to relate a short summary of some highlights of his life...the only way to have any immortality is through others who live on and remember you.

Deckard: [narrating] I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life; my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Left unsaid, is that Deckard is likely or at least possibly a Replicant himself...with manufactured memories.

Gaff: It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?

Echoing in Deckard's mind as he heads for the hills with Rachael.

It doesnt get any better than that, folks!

Last edited:

SWHouston

Staff member
Trip,

Glad that you brought this up, I hadn't intended this to be a SiFi Thread, and Futuristic is great too. I got a bunch of that !
Actually, given that we're discussing Blade Runner at the moment, I'd consider that Futuristic rather than SyFy, what do you think EV?

EV,

Your very literate and literal post makes a super point about "listening" to the verbiage. I've often found that the second (or more) sitting for a Film, relieves one of the pressure of grasping "the whole thing" on the first sit.

MANY of these great movies (older ones specially) have SO much to say. Morals and decency which is fading with the Bedroom Scenes as DTVuser2009 and I have been discussing in another thread. Which is exactly prompted me to start this one.

The philosophical content in movies like Blade and most all of the Treks, gives one pause to wonder just where we're trying to be led, with many of the newer Flicks.

S.W.

PS: It was Rutger Hauer who played the character of Batty.

Last edited:

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
Trip,

Glad that you brought this up, I hadn't intended this to be a SiFi Thread,
I know. But Blade Runner was the topic of discussion, and I am a fan of science fiction movies in general. :) That's why I phrased things the way I did. My favorite movie, despite being a big science fiction fan, is The Great Escape.

- Trip

This is Television but does anyone besides me remember the short-lived science-fiction series Earth 2?

I only remember bits and pieces of the first two episodes but that was a great show.

That and SeaQuest DSV--quite possibly the closest thing to Star Trek underwater.

Both shows, for 1993, were way ahead of their time both in special effects and plotlines

Oh and don't forget my all-time favorite Sci-Fi series, the original , the only true series:

Pros and Cons to all three:

Earth 2: Completely Awesome special effects considering it was '93 we're talking about, premise of future abilities imagined if our planet is ever uninhabitable and we ever possess technology (similar to the 'Genesis' project on Star Trek: the Wrath of Khan)

was cancelled long before its time :( never got past a few episodes.

Sea Quest DSV: Same with the special effects, which, even today, don't appear dated at all...was created by Spielberg and the premise was a lot like Star Trek and took a lot of inspiration from Star Trek. there's some 'easter eggs' in the pilot episode paying homage to star trek, such as the ident code on one of the video transmissions being labeled 'JTK1701' for James Tiberius Kirk, and '1701' representing the registry # of the Enterprise

Also short lived :( it became 'reimagined' as a space-series and got twisted completely out of proportion just like BSG did.

BattleStar Galactica: AWESOME plot. unlike people today, i actually enjoy the cheesy special effects and sounds used in the series, despite it being '78 and i was around yet, it's not nostalgia i am in love with--but a great series that also got twisted out of proportion and ruined in reimagining. i really enjoy the '70s flair of such series, and also love its cousin, Buck Rogers of the 25th Century. there's really no reason to redo any of these classics and ruin the show and anger the people who really did grow up with it and hoped for just new effects to replace the dated ones, which, BTW, was done successfully with Star Trek: TOS without recasting nor change to the original series. why it couldn't have been done with Galactica without completely trashing and butchering it like they did to Airwolf in season 4 is beyond me.

Last edited:

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
My favorite of all time?? The Big Lebowski of course. Lol I tried to find an appropriate (PG Rated) clip from the movie on youtube, and this was about the best I could find.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS-8Q7QIk1I[/YOUTUBE]

It's one of those movies you either "get" or "don't get". Not really an in between. ;) Highly recommended if you're into wacky comedies or even Cheech and Chong.

Last edited:

SWHouston

Staff member
Aaron,
I didn't see The Big Lebowski, but I know that Jeff Bridges played the lead.
Great actor, I really liked his roll in K-PAX, but, if you remember back far enough to TRON, and even further to Sea Hunt in the late 50's.
What a great contribution he's made to the entertainment industry !

Trip,
Sorry about that, I misread what you said.

DTVU,
I don't know how I missed Earth 2, I see where it had about 20+ episodes. Wish I had viewed it, Jessica Steen played in the one I'm thinking about, where they crashed on a Planet, that one, or...
There was another Earth II back in the 70's about a Space Station.

But, since Aaron mentioned "wacky", surely all of you have seen Clockwork Orange ?

S.W.

Last edited:
I know fans of the original would be angry at me for this but i do remember there being a Land of the Lost TV series in 1991, a newer one. i actually liked it but never got to see the original (didn't know there was one until recently) but the 1991 didn't crap out like any later remake of science-fiction does. but, of course, it was 1991.

I also still like the orignal Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers which the networks refuse to stop making crappy spin-offs of.

The younger generations would enjoy the short-lived 1995 series, Space Cases ...it was at one time a Nickelodeon show but lives on in Youtube.

Last edited:

SWHouston

Staff member
DTVU,

There are actually 3 spinoffs from LOTL !

First in 1974, TV Series, Where Wesley Eure and Kathy Coleman played the couple.

Second in 1991, TV Series, where Tim Bottoms played the lead.
(by this time, those Dinosaurs were getting really mean !)

Then the most recent, last year (2009) a Movie with Will Ferrell as Rick Marshall.

I only caught a couple episodes of the 1991 as I recall, and would really like to see the Movie !

S.W.

Did you know that Battlestar Galactica is where Glen A Larson got the inspiration of KITT in the series, Knight Rider?

KITT started life as C.O.R.A, a female-voiced computer in a un-armed recon Viper in the episode 'The Long Patrol'

K.I.T.T = Knight Industries Two-Thousand

C.O.R.A = Computer Oral Response Activated

My favorite quotes from that episode 'the long patrol'

Lt. Starbuck: Computer, back to normal track.
C.O.R.A.: Your wish is my command, honey.
Lt. Starbuck: The eh, name's Starbuck
C.O.R.A.: Don't be a bore. My name is C.O.R.A. Short for Computer Oral Response Activated. I'm programmed to respond instantly to all your needs. I'm also to keep you amused over the lenght and duration of our prolonged voayage.
C.O.R.A.: May I suggest a high-speed flyby kicking in our second booster within 50 metrons? Our backwash should knock him silly and scare the pogees out of him.
C.O.R.A.: May I land us, or do I have to go through a bouncer?
Lt. Starbuck: Just give me the vector.
C.O.R.A.: Vector's displayed. Please try not to jar my chips.
Assault 9: What have we here? What's your name, lad?
Lt. Starbuck: Eh, Starbuck.
Assault 9: Starbuck... Starbuck you say, huh? Hm. That's strange, never heard of that one before.

Last edited:

SWHouston

Staff member
DTVU,

I'm impressed !
When I delve into a subject, I like to be "very" well informed about it, and appreciate anyone else, who "knows what he's talking about" !
I have frequently referred to the Original Script, when discussing topics which I feel I'm familiar with.

Good job !

S.W.

I do wish i could find the 1991 LOTL somewhere, people don't even know it ever existed! i can't find a DVD, or even online site which streams that particular series (they do have, however, the 1971 version and trailers of the up and coming movie, based on the 1971 series--as Tasha wasn't in it at all plus no caveman existed in the 1991 remake)

I remember one episode though where they were finally home the same way they got in, and when entering the house it was empty and they were hearing the voice of their mother and then it turned all evil and smoke came from all the vents and the image of the home disintegrated as they realized it was all fake. i don't remember much else--it was the last episode played in reruns on Nickelodeon.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Blade Runner isn't something I enjoy, to be honest. It's too dark for my taste. I prefer the Star Trek movies, or Independence Day, or the classic The Day the Earth Stood Still. I love all kinds of movies, though. My all time favorites are some of the classics -- Gone with the Wind, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Sound of Music, etc.

BTW - I love the original Battlestar Galactica. There was nothing cheesy about it to me. I thought it was super and I strongly prefer it over that ridiculous rethink that airs on Syfy these days.

I'm with ya on the Battlestar Galactica TOS vs. that abomination they have now...

Although the effects, such as the weapons fire, ship models, and sound effects were indeed recycled from Buck Rogers of the 25th Century.

the explosion sounds are also repeated loops. it's that classic 'boom' sound also used in Airwolf, A-Team, Knight Rider, etc. it's indeed fake compared to effects nowadays....

...but that's the reason i LOVE them! TV Isn't supposed to be real..that's why it's so much fun watching. making everything today reality-based or too real makes me lose interest as then it's just like life...what's the point in owning a TV set if i could simply walk outside for my 'programming?'

Back then, the story itself was more important than the effects, which merely went along with conveying the story in video formats, but today, it's more about the effects and the story is what just goes along for the ride...

people today care more about realistic explosions, sex, sex, sex, and blood and guts than the story anymore...i find that that's the problem...if there are people who exist that prefer that lifestyle, i think they need to see a Psychiatrist.

Last edited: