DTVUser2009, you ok? KY hit with tornadoes today

Yeah it wasn't where i lived. it was around the surrounding counties but all Daviess, KY ever got was a severe t-storm. tons of lightning and rain though. for us it's been three straight weeks of rain. nonstop. we really need to issue 'monsoon' warnings what with all the insane rain we have gotten all winter and now spring/early summer each year.

I never worry about tornadoes, since they come and go so quickly, but during winter we get straight line winds in excess of 65mph from the NW for days at a time, normally following a storm but it happens on perfectly sunny days after it too. those winds are the cause of more damage than one tornado; try those ones from Ike last fall. days of wind and tons of damage more widespread than a tornado. tornadoes are always isolated while high winds are all over. that's why i had to try so hard to get an antenna setup which is wind proof.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Glad to hear your OK. I've always wanted to see a tornado up close and personal. You'd probably prefer to pass on that, based on where you live. I've actually witnessed two tornadoes (if you can call Utah tornadoes, tornadoes) from a distance here in Utah. Storm chasing would be exciting.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah it wasn't where i lived. it was around the surrounding counties but all Daviess, KY ever got was a severe t-storm. tons of lightning and rain though. for us it's been three straight weeks of rain. nonstop. we really need to issue 'monsoon' warnings what with all the insane rain we have gotten all winter and now spring/early summer each year.

I never worry about tornadoes, since they come and go so quickly, but during winter we get straight line winds in excess of 65mph from the NW for days at a time, normally following a storm but it happens on perfectly sunny days after it too. those winds are the cause of more damage than one tornado; try those ones from Ike last fall. days of wind and tons of damage more widespread than a tornado. tornadoes are always isolated while high winds are all over. that's why i had to try so hard to get an antenna setup which is wind proof.
Good to hear. Little hard to wind proof up to 65 MPH isn't it? ;)

Glad to hear your OK. I've always wanted to see a tornado up close and personal. You'd probably prefer to pass on that, based on where you live. I've actually witnessed two tornadoes (if you can call Utah tornadoes, tornadoes) from a distance here in Utah. Storm chasing would be exciting.
You are a braver man than I! I drove from Chicago to AZ and on the way through Oklahoma, ran into a microburst / tornado. Stopped off at a hotel, and when the tornado touched down, it sounded like a freight train. :bolt:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82L7SwO-Zrk&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]​

I did see and experience a tornado (an EF-3) during January 2000 when i was in college. unlike the movie-stereotypes there was NO roar, no noise at all. the sky was NOT green. it was 3PM, it looked pitch black as nighttime. it was a slight drizzle and the streetlights were coming on. i found it odd how it was dark so soon, so i asked the teacher why it was 'night' at 3PM. then we were told to go to the shelter there since a tornado was coming. 'tornado?! i don't hear or see it!' but no sooner than that the lights went out and we went to the safe area of the college.

Then it was just that. silent. very silent. no noise, but that silence. then it was over. (the only noise i heard was the whistling wind through the plate glass) funny part was there was no sound at all, and i never did see what looked like a funnel or what is shown on TV. all it was was tons of rain, a little wind, and that dead silence. lucky for us the college was spared, although a couple brand new apartments were demolished just next door. funny part also is that the tornado sirens never sounded until 5min after the whole mess. the tornado sirens are useless if you hear them too late or not at all