DVD player for seniors

jerseygirl

DTVUSA Member
Hello!

I am looking for a DVD player for a senior.
It has to be an easy to use player which big buttons to push and a remote, which is readable for a senior wearing glasses.

Has somebody seen such a kind of player?

Postman

DTVUSA Member
DVD players are for all ages. Why are they going to push it manually when it has a remote control that comes with it?

Do you know what you are talking about?

jerseygirl

DTVUSA Member
Yes, I know what I am talking about- I think you not really.

I am looking for DVD player with big buttons on the remote and on the player.
Maybe you do not know, but there a phones and supply for seniors available which help them for their special needs (like having big letters on the buttons and flashlight if someone calls and the senior does not hear the bell).

Here is such a phone for seniors:

And in this case our grand parents have bad eyes and are wearing thick glasses.
If you are over 70 years old, you forget were you put the remote and need to use the player manually. So the buttons on the player have to have big letters like the ones on the remote.

Ever seen such a DVD player?

dreamr802

DTVUSA Member
Well all dvd players seem to have the smaller remotes but what you can do is buy a universal remote with the big numbers...I know brookstone carry them...maybe that's what you can use...we got that for my great aunt and she loves it.

G

Postman should shut his piehole

Dear Postman, Obviously, you don't know what you're talking about. Have you ever met a senior before? If yes, you'd know that they can't use a remote with any confidence on any regular basis. They get frustrated very easily, and need to have manual backup. Keep your comments to yourself, if you have nothing to offer!

G

same boat

Hi - I'm going to watch this thread.. I'm also looking for a big button DVD player, similar to the big button phones. Mom can't operate a remote, or see the tiny buttons on most DVD players. Ignore Postman... he obviously has no relevant experience whatsoever. I've been looking for about 2 weeks now, and can't find anything. HUGE market out there that is being ignored, right?

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I've seen lots of "big button" universal remotes at Walmart, Kmart, and even places like Family Dollar. There's a bunch of them at Amazon: big button remotes

Keep in mind:

• Most new DVD players don't have many buttons on the front panel, if at all.
  • Make sure the remote you buy has codes for the brand/model DVD player you buy.
  • Don't buy a remote for a DVD player that is intended as a simple on/off, channel and volume up/down. You can't control a DVD with them.
  • Buy a universal LEARNING remote if you can find one.
  • Take the batteries out of the original remote and store it in a safe place.
  • I suggest a remote that has a minimum of 2 functions, so it can control both the TV and DVD player.

The Sony RM-EZ4 2-Device Universal Remote with Big Buttons has pretty good reviews.
As far as finding a DVD player with big buttons, I don't know of any.

Last edited:
I haven't really seen a big button remote but I know they are out there. Like some people suggest, use one of those and make it an universal remote. Those though can be tricky setting up for some but once it is set up, that could make life a little easier. In terms of DVD players, I haven't seen one with big buttons.

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
Yes, I know what I am talking about- I think you not really.

I am looking for DVD player with big buttons on the remote and on the player.
Maybe you do not know, but there a phones and supply for seniors available which help them for their special needs (like having big letters on the buttons and flashlight if someone calls and the senior does not hear the bell).

Here is such a phone for seniors:

And in this case our grand parents have bad eyes and are wearing thick glasses.
If you are over 70 years old, you forget were you put the remote and need to use the player manually. So the buttons on the player have to have big letters like the ones on the remote.

Ever seen such a DVD player?
I actually have not seen a DVD Player like that, but I would think they have them somewhere, maybe look at either wal-mart or maybe Target? Oh also try Amazon or Ebay. I would try Ebay first. They seem to have everything you can imagine on there!

A simple DVD player is basically a few buttons and the slot for the DVD. The complexity often comes from the tv set you use. That is where you end up with several remotes- one to work the TV and another for the DVD player.

G

DVD player with simple buttons (good size) & DVD remote with over sized buttons

Amazon.com: Philips DVP1013 Compact DVD Player - Silver: Electronics

Amazon.com : Hy-Tek Tek Partner BW0561RD Universal Remote Control : Audio Video Remote Controls : Electronics

I found link above to this DVD player and hope the additional remote will work his TV and I can connect to DVD. This is for my father who is 75 with macular degeneration so his vision is very poor even after surgery. I think this is a winning combo. Thanks all.

G

As an oldie myself I disagree with you. Even remote controls have digits buttons and some so bloody difficult it ends in the bin. I then make my own control of of the dead bits. You see as old as I am i see rubbish in most designs sloppy wiring and even fire risk in such as they pronounce as modern tec. So young nobody wait until you reach the age of full reason and we see who good you are at flying space ships without training