DVD sales expected to decline further

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Say goodbye to late fees! Muhahaha. Seriously, I think I've spent over $200 in the past decade on late fees. I'm a habitual late movie returner. It's my only financial downfall (besides junk food).

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
My poor Stargate movie will never be made ... but I think that's okay in retrospect. The producers can't botch the finale that way. :}

JoeM

DTVUSA Member
Poor Blockbuster :) I can see Redbox and the like being short lived as well. Once tv and internet are more closely integrated there won't be a need to drive out to get one.

I may be one of the very few people that has never even used Netflix or any of the other rental services, although I have considered giving it a shot at various times. That being said I also haven't been buying as many DVD's as I used to either, due to a extremely tight financial situation. Either I try to wait until a movie gets shown or television, or I try to pick it up on a good sale price somewhere. To be honest, I probably buy more DVD boxsets for television shows than anything else these days, and even that's had to cut down a lot because of finances.

JoeM

DTVUSA Member
It's amazing how much things have changed over the past 15-20 years. My father owned a video store for awhile. Back in the day, only some of the movies were priced to sell. Major hits like Disney movies would be sold for $15-$20 while videos that didn't expect to sell too much would cost around $70-$75 a copy. With the ease of production for DVDs that has really changed the business.

BCF68

DTVUSA Member
It's amazing how much things have changed over the past 15-20 years. My father owned a video store for awhile. Back in the day, only some of the movies were priced to sell. Major hits like Disney movies would be sold for $15-$20 while videos that didn't expect to sell too much would cost around $70-$75 a copy. With the ease of production for DVDs that has really changed the business.
Yep 15 years ago you used to see mom and pop video stores all over the place. Even my little town had 3 at one point. Now even the big boys can't stay open. Supposedly our Movie Gallery will be closing within the next few months. I figured it would survive since it's the only video store within 20 miles and we have ONE Red Box and that's at the local Wal-Mart. So it's not like there much competition. Also over half the population can't even get broadband so things like Itunes or XBL or Amazon aren't competition. I really haven't movies there much but I do rent games for my son. So once it closes there won't be anywhere to do that.

Orrymain

Downloading is a big factor. People are keeping up with their computers and downloading stuff for free and that takes away from the DVD sales. Shanks even made a comment about that at a convention recently.

I really am not sure how big of a factor downloading movies is, but I thought that was starting to go down recently...but maybe I was wrong?

But anyway, I imagine that DVD sales should begin to go back up after the economy begins to improve a bit more, which should hopefully be in the near future.

Orrymain

It's a huge factor, Astral. The DVD sales are down now in large part because people are finding movies on the internet and downloading them. Avatar is all over the place, for example. Whereas in the past, folks flocked to buy the direct to DVD movies, they aren't now. That is absolutely why MGM with its problems has not gone ahead with the next Stargate movie even though the first two did very well.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Has anybody actually tried the $1 kiosks yet? How was the experience? They put a couple in at the grocery store I shop at. I may have to try. Wonder if they have Blu-Ray?

BCF68

DTVUSA Member
Has anybody actually tried the $1 kiosks yet? How was the experience? They put a couple in at the grocery store I shop at. I may have to try. Wonder if they have Blu-Ray?
No redbox doesn't have blu-ray and Redbox and Netflix have new deals with the studios to delay renting new releases for 28 days. Video stores have no such restriction. My town's only video store Movie Gallery just started their "going out of business sale" today. So if you want to rent blu-rays you're out of luck in my town.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
No redbox doesn't have blu-ray and Redbox and Netflix have new deals with the studios to delay renting new releases for 28 days. Video stores have no such restriction. My town's only video store Movie Gallery just started their "going out of business sale" today. So if you want to rent blu-rays you're out of luck in my town.
That sucks to hear. We've got rental places going out of business all of the place here in Cali too. I really thought Blockbuster would have pulled through with their rent online and return in store program.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Our Hollywood Video got its first visit from me in 7 months this past weekend. For their "going out of business" sale! Still, the math doesn't work yet for me: 20% off too much is still too much!

I don't download from the torrents... I just don't trust it. I know the quality sucks, and there's legal issues, too. I don't have the bandwidth for a movie, anyway... and even if I did, there's no way the quality matches the disc *from a legal source* download. I'll just buy, rent from Redbox, or netflix, and there's still Hastings in this town (for now).

Redbox is hit and miss for movies though. If you get there first, or have enough boxes in town and reserve online, you get a good movie. A recent, limited selection. And I have gotten movies with spooge all over them, and scratched beyond repair. Redbox gives me credit, but then i'm sometimes out a movie for that night. They WILL some day do Blu-Ray (Blu-box?)

Netflix I think charges a few $ more for Blu-Ray access. I dunno, I have yet to spend the $ on a player - I'm a late adopter.

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
That sucks to hear. We've got rental places going out of business all of the place here in Cali too. I really thought Blockbuster would have pulled through with their rent online and return in store program.

Just read in another thread that Redbox is gonna start offering DVD rentals at 1.50 a day...still nothing about the 28 day wait though :(.

Orrymain

Actually, the downloading from the torrents depend on the source, just like it does when recording off TV. A lot of the torrents are taken from DVDs and are fantastic in quality. It's just like anything else, you have to be smart. I'm not into the rental thing. That goes back to VHS where the dirt of someone else's equipment could invade my machine.