DVD/VCR combo systems

casey

DTVUSA Member
How many of you out there own a DVD/VCR combo system? Also, how many of you out there actually use the VCR partition of your system? I haven't used a VHS tape in the longest time.

misha

DTVUSA Member
I've got one, but there really was no reason for me to buy it. I have the VCR, and like you, I never use it. Every movie I buy is on DVD. Not that I don't like VHS, but they just aren't readily available and DVD is much clearer.

I've never like the combos for the simple fact that if one part needs to be repaired, you are stuck without a device to play dvds or vhs. That's why I have separate units but I use the dvd player more.

We still have some family videos that need to be converted to DVD, so we've still have a VCR connected to our setup. Not exactly a combo DVD/VCR player though. ;)

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
You should wait before tossing those VHS tapes. The framerate for those DVD-recorders appear to be capped at 25-30 frames per second, as opposed to 60 frames a second for VHS. I use VHS and Sony8 (preferred) for archival recording, DVD for everyday recording.

GrantDraper

DTVUSA Jr. Member
How many of you out there own a DVD/VCR combo system? Also, how many of you out there actually use the VCR partition of your system? I haven't used a VHS tape in the longest time.
I was looking at getting a DVD/VCR combo as i own alot of videos and don't have any way to get them onto disc. The cost put me off though - RIP VHS.

tortver

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I bought a DVD/VCR combo in hopes of one day recording my VHS tapes onto DVDs, but I haven't gotten around to it. I mostly just use the VCR part to watch some old Disney movies that I still have and love.

soltc

DTVUSA Rookie
I have 2 Sony RDR-VXD655 VHS DVD Recorder Combos with Built In HD Tuner.
No problems with either (2 yrs old and 1 yr old).

I use both the DVD and VHS sides. I have a lot of VHS movies and still use tapes for most time shifting.

If there was a read/write DVD with more than 2 hours recording time, I'd move away from tapes.

O-O

DTVUSA Member
I have 2 Sony RDR-VXD655 VHS DVD Recorder Combos with Built In HD Tuner.
No problems with either (2 yrs old and 1 yr old).

I use both the DVD and VHS sides. I have a lot of VHS movies and still use tapes for most time shifting.

If there was a read/write DVD with more than 2 hours recording time, I'd move away from tapes.
Just wait till blue-ray rw gets affordable. ;) Might be a few years but you'll be able to store up to 200GB-400GB.

I have one, a Hitachi DVD player/VCR Hifi recorder. that's because while i own a few DVDs, i also have older VHS tapes and i can buy VHS stuff super-cheap (50 cents each) at the thrift store vs. the $19 price tag on DVDs. now the things i like most on DVD are the TV shows i no longer get since tossing out my satellite systems.

What i don't like is when the combo involves a TV. when the VCR or DVD craps out the TV turns off. hit rewind, TV goes off. hit eject, TV shuts off, but of course when you turn it back on out comes the tape. i hate TV/VCR/DVD combos!

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
My first DVD/VCR combo was from Go Video. I've mentioned it in other posts. It worked for a while but then the DVD slot kept opening and closing and not reading DVDs so we just sealed it shut.

My sister just brought over a DVD/VCR that she purchased a while back. It's a Sony, and sing praises, it works on my new TV (some of you might remember the thread about my TV Hookup). The Go Video just did not work with the new technology, and while this one isn't brand new, it worked right away to play, and then once we went into the menu and switched it from antenna to cable and had it search for channels, all was well. I shouted and applauded.

Anywho, I have hundreds of VHS tapes, and I still record. I do not have a DVR. It will be getting plenty of use.