dvdr/vcr combo to converter box

mags

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I don't have cable tv. Just the antenna cable from outside with antenna on the roof. I curently get 3 channels, ABC,NBC,CBS

I had no problems with my old vcr connected. But now scratch the separate vcr player.

I caved in and bought a dvd recorder/vcr combo. Magnavox ZV427MG9
Allows me to watch dvds or vhs movies. Also record vhs to dvd vice versa. But the manual doesn't include a hookup as complicated as mine.

I have an old tv with 1 input for antenna only. No other connections on tv.
I use a RF modulator and 2 way splitter in my current connection which is as follows:

Antenna cable -----> IN on 2 way splitter
Coax cable --------->OUT and connects into RF Modulator Antenna IN
Coax cable from tv to RF Modulator
Red/White/Yellow cables from DVD recorder/vcr combo to RF Modulator

I can watch VCR tapes and DVD movies.
I can't watch tv with it hooked up turned on or record tv shows from it on vcr mode or dvdr mode. Can't get any channels. Got stuck there. TV is set to Channel 3.

How do I connect this to my HD Access 1080D converter box?
Will I then be able to watch tv and record a show (on the same channel)?

Thanks for even reading this. If you have a solution, I'm all ears.
Thank you.

Last edited:

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Anybody else can correct me if I'm wrong, but the only thing you'll need to do, is add your converter box to your setup by connecting a coax from the output of the converter to the coax input of your VCR. The rest should stay the same. The confusing part will be to try and find which setting to put the VCR on after everything is connected. You'll have to do that throught the menu on the VCR by one of the following:

Change mode on VCR to "Input 1" or "Input"
if that doesn't work,
Change channel on VCR to "channel 3" or "channel 4"

You'll need to connect your Roof antenna to the converter box by coax too.

mags

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks Jay for your reply.

The dvd recorder and vcr (one machine) only supports video cables (red/white/yellow) and hdmi cable. No RF input or output.
Coax cable not possible to connect to that.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Just checked the specifications on your Magnavox to confirm the inputs. So it looks like you'll need a composite cable (red,white,yellow) to connect from the output of your converter box, to the composite input of your VCR/DVD recorder instead of using rf/coax wire.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense. :)

mags

DTVUSA Jr. Member
It makes sense. I tried that but can't get any picture or watch my dvds or vhs tapes. Only seems to work with the modular box but not the converter box.
Thanks for your help.

If you can't beat em...join em. I'm gonna buy a new tv and end the frustration.

TonyT

DTVUSA Member
It makes sense. I tried that but can't get any picture or watch my dvds or vhs tapes. Only seems to work with the modular box but not the converter box.
Thanks for your help.

If you can't beat em...join em. I'm gonna buy a new tv and end the frustration.
There are many deals on TVs right now, but it looks like you're so close to getting everything connected. Did you see any type of on screen menu items after connecting the converter box? This is one of those things where it would be easier to install in person, than try and type out how to connect everything.

mags

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks Tony. So close but no cigar so to speak. I actually went window shopping for a tv and a lot were sold out and on back order.

I can hook up the old tv and an old vcr to the converter box ok and it works, including recording the same channel. But not the case with the new dvr/vcr machine. No menu screen or picture.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Thanks Tony. So close but no cigar so to speak. I actually went window shopping for a tv and a lot were sold out and on back order.

I can hook up the old tv and an old vcr to the converter box ok and it works, including recording the same channel. But not the case with the new dvr/vcr machine. No menu screen or picture.
That is so weird, I've seen in a couple of different forums where people are talking about TVs not being available for sale. What is going on? :eek:

Have you tried adjusting the menu on the DVR/VCR? Try changing the input or source to input 1, input 2, or input 3. Each time you try a different input, press the menu button on the converter button remote so it'll display something in case you've found the right input or source.

I do not want to complete the discussion but I purchased the Apex DT250 to add Digital capability to my DVD recorder. All works well EXCEPT I can not time delay recorder. The DTV converter shuts off automatically after a couple of hours. I contacted Apex and they advised their unit is not compatible with DVD recorders. If your plan is to record from the your new setup make sure your DTV converter does not have the auto shut-off feature that can not be overriden. I would appreciate knowing which DTV converters are compatible with recorders (with SVideo output).

JaQ

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I do not want to complete the discussion but I purchased the Apex DT250 to add Digital capability to my DVD recorder. All works well EXCEPT I can not time delay recorder. The DTV converter shuts off automatically after a couple of hours. I contacted Apex and they advised their unit is not compatible with DVD recorders. If your plan is to record from the your new setup make sure your DTV converter does not have the auto shut-off feature that can not be overriden. I would appreciate knowing which DTV converters are compatible with recorders (with SVideo output).
You can override that feature in your dtv converter's menu through the options.

mags

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I bought a digital tv and have the newer dvr/vcr but couldn't get it to work on analog. I had to connect (an external tuner,) an old vcr player to the dvr, player/vcr recorder,player and tv to record. But when the dtv transition happened I couldn't record anything. My dvr is only good to play movies on dvd or vhs movies because there is no rf input/output.
What I did do was hookup my old vcr player to the dvr, player/vcr recorder, player, and tv and converter box (which I shouldn't need since my has a digital tuner and dvr/vcr digitul tuner). I can record off the old vcr player with these connections but not with the dvr/vcr. I can watch movies on dvd/vcr though. Too confusing for me but I was able to find a fix and able to record on my old vcr player with the current connections. Still confused why I can't record off of my newer dvr/vcr. My theory is because it doesn't have rf input/output on it. So there is no antenna signal.

Last edited: