DVR expander eSATA drive not recognized on Arris DCX3600-M Enhanced DVR in NYC - Time Warner TV

This question is about "DVR expander eSATA drive not recognized on Arris DCX3600-M Enhanced DVR in NYC", with Time Warner Cable TV and apps. Howdy,

According to the Spectrum online support page my Enhanced DVR (Arris DCD3600-M) should support eSATA hard drives that are compatible with DVRs:

DVR External Hard Drive (eSATA) Port | Spectrum Support
Spectrum.net

I purchased one that claims to be compatible:
DVR2KEUB - Fantom Drives 2TB DVR Expander - DVR EXPANDERS - EXTERNAL HDD
Fantom Drives 2TB DVR Expander - DVR EXPANDERS - EXTERNAL HDD

The support page says to plug the external drive into the eSATA port of the DVR once the drive has been powered up for 15-30 seconds. It claims that the DVR will display a prompt to format the new drive or a message if the drive is not compatible.

I get no prompt at all when connecting the drive to the DVR. I tried rebooting my DVR and that didn’t help. I checked the diagnostics and they only show the internal drive. The extended diagnostics don’t even mention the eSATA port.

I called technical support and they said they couldn’t help with 3rd party hardware.

I saw one relevant forum entry claiming the eSATA port is disabled for copy protection but that doesn’t make sense because the data on each drive is encrypted so it’s only useful on the DVR it was formatted on. Also, why is there a support page for it if it’s not supported?

I’m a Spectrum triple play and Enhanced DVR customer in NY, NY 10002. He support page mentions a few other areas of NY where this won’t work but NYC is not one of those:

“Ineligible Areas:
New York: Berlin, Chatham, West Stockbridge”

Has anyone had luck trying this in NYC?

Regards,
LM

This topic covered DVR expander eSATA drive not recognized on Arris DCX3600-M Enhanced DVR in NYC, and TWC cable tv service.