DVRing

Here is my situation. I have many shows that I dvr throughout the week. When I put them on the schedule to be recorded, they record on tv 2. I would rather have them record on tv 1. When I am home, I stop the recording and then restart on tv 1. Is there a way to change them so they record on tv 1 all the time?

Yes616

The Mod Squad
Here is my situation. I have many shows that I dvr throughout the week. When I put them on the schedule to be recorded, they record on tv 2. I would rather have them record on tv 1. When I am home, I stop the recording and then restart on tv 1. Is there a way to change them so they record on tv 1 all the time?
Yes there is a way to change this default setting but I am not sure why you would want to do it.

Press menu, select 8 (Preferences), then 5 (Record Plus) then change Activation to enable and Record Preference to TV1. Once done, select Done. If you don't, the new setting will NOT be saved. You may now cancel all the way out of the menu.

Notice the message on the top of the screen when in Record Preference that says this setting must be set to TV2 when in single user mode. There is no way around that.

Now go back the Main Menu and select 7 (Daily Schedule) to make sure you did everything correctly.

Got it! Thanks. I have tv 1 in my bedroom and tv 2 is in the living room. When I record something I would rather it be on the bedroom tv, so the family can still be watching something else on the living room tv.

bm42

DTVUSA Member
Got it! Thanks. I have tv 1 in my bedroom and tv 2 is in the living room. When I record something I would rather it be on the bedroom tv, so the family can still be watching something else on the living room tv.
Not sure if you are confusing the dual receive tv1 and tv2 with the DVR recording on disc 1 or disc 2, different things. The different discs allow recording of two programs at the same time not that they are on different TVs. Once recorded, when you go to your DVR recordings menu, they both show up and can play on either tv receiver you choose.

bm42

DTVUSA Member
My concern with DVR is I see more skipping and freezing of frame on playback than I think I should be seeing. Does anyone else have this problem? My receiver is the VP612 and have had to replace it twice in six months. Must just be a bad system. Does anyone have any trouble with the dual TV receivers like this?

Jim1348

DTVUSA Member
We have a DISH 622 and this sounds similar to what we do at home. I have TV 1 that modulates on Cable Channel 73 and TV 2 modulates on Channel 93. I have RG-6 is several locations throughout the house as well as a converter box in several locations. I also bought a couple of extra DISH remote controls. That gives us a little bit of flexibility. Or, for a real world example, my wife may be watching TV 1 in one room, my two sons watching TV 2 in another room, I can go to yet a third room and watch what my wife has on TV 1 on Cable 73, what my boys are watching on Cable 93, or something over the air through the converter box. If I don't like any of those choices I can surf the web on the same monitor, since it is a Samsung 19" combination HDTV/computer monitor.

Last edited:

Yes616

The Mod Squad
I hope you are not trying to watch HD with this set up. TV1 can only get a real HD signal using a HDMI or component video connection. Co-ax will not do this and the 622 is an HD receiver.

We have a DISH 622 and this sounds similar to what we do at home. I have TV 1 that modulates on Cable Channel 73 and TV 2 modulates on Channel 93. I have RG-6 is several locations throughout the house as well as a converter box in several locations. I also bought a couple of extra DISH remote controls. That gives us a little bit of flexibility. Or, for a real world example, my wife may be watching TV 1 in one room, my two sons watching TV 2 in another room, I can go to yet a third room and watch what my wife has on TV 1 on Cable 73, what my boys are watching on Cable 93, or something over the air through the converter box. If I don't like any of those choices I can surf the web on the same monitor, since it is a Samsung 19" combination HDTV/computer monitor.

My concern with DVR is I see more skipping and freezing of frame on playback than I think I should be seeing. Does anyone else have this problem? My receiver is the VP612 and have had to replace it twice in six months. Must just be a bad system. Does anyone have any trouble with the dual TV receivers like this?
Many people have the same issues you describe. It is unlikely that the receiver is the problem (replaced twice). The most common reason is low signal.

On your satellite remote press "menu", "6", "1", "1" to see the signal strength on the channels you are having a problem. What is your signal strength?

Can you tell us what dish and how many receivers you have?