Eagle Aspen mod

Kosmo

DTVUSA Rookie
I just ordered 2 Eagle Aspen DB2 antennas... plan on trying them in my attic...but got to thinking about what would be involved in connecting them together to make a DB4 style antenna...any suggestions would be welcome.

Your moving kind of fast in buying two Aspen Eagle 2 bay antennas. With both antennas aimed the same direction combining them should not be a real big problem. If you plan to point them separate directions you could have major problems. Keep in mind they are UHF antennas, and there are many VHF broadcast signals in this country.
If you post a TV Fool report for your location we will offer advice on antennas needed for your location.
https://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

Steve

If you wish to combine two Aspen Eagle 2bay antennas. You could simply use two equal lengths of coax, and use a splitter as a combiner. With he combiner loss you would not get the gain of a 4 bay. I know I've seen drawings of a correctly built combining harness which would have less loss, but would in my opinion be a head ache to build. My question would be why when there are simpler cheaper ways. Like buying, or building a low cost 4 bay.
Stellar Labs HDTV 60 Mile Fringe Bowtie Television Antenna | 30-2425 (302425) | Stellar Labs
http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-hdtv...9-kosmic-antennas-superquad-4-bay-bowtie.html
DIY TV Antennas 4 bays, 2 bays, Kits and more
I have to admit there is no logical explanation for all of the goofy antennas I've built, and continue to build.
Steve

Kosmo

DTVUSA Rookie
I have built 2 DB4 style antennas and 1 db2 style...the 4bays work well...and so does the 2 bay. I live in Topeka,KS. 66604 Area. My intent was to use the aspens separately...but started thinking about joining the two to make a single 4 bay antenna, not in the sense of combining them with a splitter... but by connecting them in much the same way you would if you were making a DB4... seems to me you could X the phase lines at the top and at the bottom tie the two antennas together by installing the phase lines between the two antennas and locating the balun in the middle...same as all db4 are done. But wanted to share the thought and see what others think...I know I could just buy a DB4...its NOT THAT I have a logical explantion either... maybe its more like a what if I did this... kind of a thing...what would the result be :)

Kosmo

Last edited:
Thank you for making things clearer. Somewhere in my studies I've seen drawings for a vertical combing harness for two 2 bay antennas. In a short search the ones I came up with are for horizontal stacking.
UHF H4 2x2-Bay Bowtie - NO Refl
UHF H4 2x2-Bay Bowtie - 10 Refl Rods
I'm quite certain a similar harness could be constructed for vertical stacking.
One example I could find was for combining 2 hourglass loop antennas.
Photo 22 of 42, UHF 2-Bay Hourglass-Loops - NO Refl
UHF 2-Bay Hourglass-Loops - NO Refl
I know I've seen something similar done with two 2bay antennas.
While I could be wrong, someone correct me if I am I think the new Antennas Direct DB4e is built using a combining harness, instead of the more typical crossed wire phasing line arrangement. I know the older DB4 used the more typical phase line arrangement.
Steve

Kosmo

DTVUSA Rookie
Well I finished the Eagle Aspen mod... basically I used the same bay spacing as the factory Eagle aspen DB2 ...used a 36" aluminum 3/4" x 3/4" same as the shorter bars on a stock Eagle Aspen DB2.
I used one of the original DB2 mounting bars as a template for marking the bay spacing on the new 36" mounting bar. For the phase lines I used #8 solid copper,I think it was #8 it is the same size as the stock phase lines. The rest of the build was typical DB4 style Xed the phase lines at the top and at the bottom,installing the phase straight through the remaining bays and locating the balun in the middle and installed the reflectors.
The antenna works fine...only thing is on my 1st channel scan (in the evening) I received 50 channels and checked them all had some duplicates,some labeled RF, but about 40+ or so where fine...however next day..channel scan turned only 28 channels ,something like 22-24 of those were useable... ???.
But all in all it works ...
Kosmo