Eating While Watching

Cadus

DTVUSA Member
It's evening on a weeknight and you're home. When you sit down to eat dinner, is it normally in front of a screen? In other words, do you prefer to be watching something while eating?

My personal response is unless it's a really big group/family meal, the answer is almost always a jubilant yes.

Cadus

DTVUSA Member
Multitasking haha, I eat and watch TV frequently. Why waste 15 minutes eating and not be entertained.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. But I have a feeling that there's a lot of people, probably families, that are against watching TV while at the dinner table. Or maybe that age has passed. Maybe the dinner table isn't even a thing for most people anymore.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
It depends on the time of year for us. Seattle has plenty of overcast, depressing GRAY days even when its not raining but during sunny weather, we usually eat outdoors even if we have to bundle-up. A BBQ on a 26 degree clear winter day is wonderful and we keep our bird feeders stocked so we have continual 'live' entertainment. When there is something "important" to watch on TV, we DVR it for later viewing.

Most don't realize Seattle is about 160 miles north of Nova Scotia, Canada (check a map) so we have very short days in the winter and long twilight hours in the summer. Not nearly as long as seen in the show Northern Exposure, but we try not to hibernate.

Jim

Last edited:

Cadus

DTVUSA Member
It depends on the time of year for us. Seattle has plenty of overcast, depressing GRAY days even when its not raining but during sunny weather, we usually eat outdoors even if we have to bundle-up. A BBQ on a 26 degree clear winter day is wonderful and we keep our bird feeders stocked so we have continual 'live' entertainment. When there is something "important" to watch on TV, we DVR it for later viewing.
That's really awesome! I'm here in Florida and I still don't go outside to eat--it's good to know that people still enjoy the outdoors in the winter. I assumed that below 33 degrees people stay indoors unless it's snow related. It sounds like really great bonding time for you guys.

I pretend to be really embarrassed to watch TV and eat by myself. In reality, nothing makes me happier than ordering a burrito (with guac, of course) and watch an episode of whatever show I'm catching up on. I also get myself a coke if it's a longer show, like Mad Men, and I feel like I deserve it -- I always do.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
TV trays, TV dinners ... frozen dinners were just TV dinners way back when. I most always eat my meals in front of the TV and always have.

Dining room? Table? What's that?

We eat most of our meals in front of the tv, and I have a bad bad habit of binge snacking while watching tv. I can destroy a pack of Pringles or Oreos when I'm not even hungry, just because I'm mindlessly snacking and not focusing on portions.

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
Well, after we moved here. We sat at the table until everyone was done eating.(Which was very uncomfortable for me, my husband actually grew up with it) But as of here lately the kids sit at the table and eat while my husband and I watch a show. But I have a feeling that this summer we will most likely go back to eating at the table, once my step-kids get here. Ill just have to get over the uncomfortable feeling and deal with it.

Our family does this more than I'd like to admit. It reminds me of the 1950's the whole family gathered around the TV...Well except we don't have those fancy TV Tables and the food is not TV dinners.

bunny22

DTVUSA Member
I almost always watch TV while I'm eating. To me, it makes a lot more sense than trying to make dinner a time to talk, because you shouldn't talk with your mouth full, haha! And if I'm not watching TV, I'm usually reading a book.

I often watch something while I eat lunch and dinner but that is mostly because it is the only time I have to watch something. I am a stay at home working mom so when I eat is the only time I have during the day to relax and watch tv. Unless of course the insomnia kicks in like it is now and Im up at 3:30am =_=

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
I often watch something while I eat lunch and dinner but that is mostly because it is the only time I have to watch something. I am a stay at home working mom so when I eat is the only time I have during the day to relax and watch tv. Unless of course the insomnia kicks in like it is now and Im up at 3:30am =_=
I really hate insomnia. Its rather annoying. But I also hate days I feel I can't get out of bed. Or just don't plane want to... I just wish that everyday was a "easy" day so to speak. When it comes to sleep and wakeing up.

Ha! True. I just always think of the families in the 50's sitting on their sofa with the tent tables in front of them, and they are all eating TV dinners out of metal trays....

I use eating as an excuse to watch TV! My ingestion of a meal now takes as long as an episode of Roseanne. Both my wife and I work mainly from home so we try to regulate our TV to things like mealtimes so we don't become hopeless couch potatoes (any more than we have to be). But we also enjoy eating at the table for a bigger, more elaborate meal and creating a mini-date atmosphere. It only works as a special occasion if you usually eat in front of TV, though. I think I now associate eating with watching TV so much that I struggle to do one without the other. I never want to eat in a movie theater, weirdly enough.

SamuelB

DTVUSA Member
I love snacking while I'm watching something... I'm such a coach potato, that's why I can't get that belly off. Even if I snack on something healthy like nuts or dried fruit, it's still caloric and I get fatter and fatter and a true American! And if I get sucked in by a good show it's even worse. The Walking Dead is the worst, it's either so boring or keeps me so tense that I just have to eat!

Sometimes there are certain shows where I can't stand to eat. Like if something's very gory -- Kill Bill for example -- or if it just has someone puking or if there are a lot of bugs. It's too much for my weak stomach to handle :|

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
I use eating as an excuse to watch TV! My ingestion of a meal now takes as long as an episode of Roseanne. Both my wife and I work mainly from home so we try to regulate our TV to things like mealtimes so we don't become hopeless couch potatoes (any more than we have to be). But we also enjoy eating at the table for a bigger, more elaborate meal and creating a mini-date atmosphere. It only works as a special occasion if you usually eat in front of TV, though. I think I now associate eating with watching TV so much that I struggle to do one without the other. I never want to eat in a movie theater, weirdly enough.
Ya, I do not eat in theaters either. Its like a self conscious thing for me or something. As far as eating at a table with just my husband. Ya, that will probably never get old. Considering that we will go to restaurant and eat, but I am still very uncomfortable. But at the same time its definataly something I will not forget.