Edison DC powered radios?

n2rj

Staff member
Does anyone have any DC powered radios? Not battery powered. I'm talking about being powered by commercial DC power as supplied by Thomas Edison during the war of currents.

I have an old radiola 18 that I want to get working that I think was powered by DC. But I don't know for sure...

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Ryan,

I know exactly who to ask and I'll send him your question. He has restored a wall full of Atwater Kent's and others who's names I hadn't heard of before.

Jim

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Ryan,

My friend says it must have been built for a localized area and the website below verifies it.

Jim
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nostalgia Air: Electrical Restoration of the RCA Radiola 18

From the website:

... "This was not an AC/DC set, as became common after World War II, nor was it a battery set. Instead, the DC model operated from 117 volts DC, a distribution standard which had been promoted loudly (and ultimately unsuccessfully) by Thomas Edison in the late 1800's. Even as late as the 1920's, several metropolitan areas in the US, including large sections of New York and Chicago, as well as smaller areas, received 117 VDC distribution.

The circuitry in the AC and DC models was nearly identical, except for the lack of a power transformer and rectifier in the DC set, and some minor differences in the filament connections and grid bias arrangement. This article will concentrate on the AC model, but most comments apply to both."